Snow Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some may think I'm nuts, but this southern boy wants to take an Amtrak trip to see alot of snow. Any suggestions? Thanx!RF
Wait 'til the heart of winter, and you are virtually guaranteed to see snow on EB, Zephyr, Chief, or even Starlight......

'Course, don't discount VIA Rail either, I heard (in spite of all this Global Warming hogwash) there is still some snow in Canada..............

Ride VIA's "Hudson Bay" from Winnipeg to Churchill, Manitoba.... I think you'll get a flurry or two along that route.

Some may think I'm nuts, but this southern boy wants to take an Amtrak trip to see alot of snow. Any suggestions? Thanx!RF
As mentioned above any of those trains will have snow but you dont have to wait until mid-winter! Im just off a trip on the SWC,CS and EB and

saw plenty of snow in the mountains and passes so the sooner the better, guess itll be after the holidays since the trains are jammed and the buckets are high, also the AGR blackout kicks in unless you are Select Plus! Have a blast! Do have to say that Global Warming is real, check the melting Glaciers

out anywhere in the world, catch 'em while you can! :eek:

I'll volunteer to bring you a bucket of snow! :lol: (Oh - you want to travel yourself? :D )

Yeah, I think those will be good at that time!

Would ya choose the LSL or the CARD as I make my way back to Florida. How about the LSL westbound & Card eastbound? Sounds like a plan, Huh?

RF ;)

Not to scare you, but the trouble with the LSL and Cardinal is they are AMII and Viewliner cars, and are more likely to experience freeze ups than Superliners (the CL). But given the choice, I would go LSL west and Cardinal east.

I've done the LSL westbound several times. We did the Cardinal in mid-February eastbound from NYP to IND during a 17 inch snowstorm - no problems.

We returned on the LSL through more than 100+ inches of snow in upstate NY without any problems. The snow is pretty viewing from a warm sleeper car!!

As indicated in my sig, I'm doing a snow trip in January (Colorado Rockies, Sierra Nevadas, Cascades). Here in Phoenix, I don't get to see snow that often.

Not Amtrak but, take the Algoma Central Snow Train out of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Day trip and you'll see all the snow you want, and more. Maybe a moose or two also.

Hi RF ~ I'm from Tampa too. My husband and I love taking a brief "winter" trip every year where we can experience some cold and snow. :cool: This year, we're taking the Empire Builder out of Chicago to Seattle on December 30th. We hope to see some snow along the way! We'll be ringing in the New Year on the train. We have a bedroom, so we can bring our own wine and/or champagne on with us..... ;)

Not Amtrak but, take the Algoma Central Snow Train out of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Day trip and you'll see all the snow you want, and more. Maybe a moose or two also.
Quite right! This is a trip that any fan should take, who knows how long it will run? ('course I've been saying that for 25 years)

ONLY problem with the Algoma Central is GETTING TO the Sault! If you can, do it.

Hi RF ~ I'm from Tampa too. My husband and I love taking a brief "winter" trip every year where we can experience some cold and snow. :cool: This year, we're taking the Empire Builder out of Chicago to Seattle on December 30th. We hope to see some snow along the way! We'll be ringing in the New Year on the train. We have a bedroom, so we can bring our own wine and/or champagne on with us..... ;)
Hey Neighbor, :lol:

I've been on the EB both directions but not in the snow season. Last June Glacier Park still had snow capped mountains!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57619959154720/

Also, the Cascade Mtns. are awesome!!!

RF

TPA to NYC to SAB or anywhere on the Vermonter route north of SPG

TPA to NYC to MTR or anywhere north of SAR, including, SAR.

TPA to NYC to BOS to POR or anywhere on the coast.

On a week long visit to Flagstaff area, we learned that Buffalo, Rochester, and Flagstaff were the top three U.S. cities for snowfall (so doesn't include the remote mountain areas). So take the LSL, then SWC to Flagstaff. It's a nice town and of course the Grand Canyon is a short drive. Just a few miles from Flagstaff is the aptly named Snowbowl for skiers.

Have any of you gone on the Snow Train from EMY to RNO? What is it like? Is it worth it? Is the special coach pulled by the CZ? I couldn't tell for sure from the pics, and the schedule doesn't exactly match up.
http://www.keyholidays.com/st_images/snowtrain.wmv

I haven't taken the snow train, in fact, the CA Zephyr alone is much cheaper than taking the Reno Fun/Snow Train.

I will be taking the Zephyr in January (lots of snow expected!!) from EMY to RNO, and will let you all know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back