So how does that 11 hr 58 minute layover in NOLA work?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're trying to catch the Sunset Limited in New Orleans from the Crescent, there is an 11 hour layover and it's overnight! Seems the obvious choice would be having to get a hotel, unless Amtrak provides accommodations in the station? We will be going on our first Amtrak trip soon and looking to get any and all advice on that section of the rail ;-) Thank you!

With all due respect to NOL and also--in my opinion--NOL is NOT a place to be staying for 12 hours in a station. A hotel is a better choice (although I am told that cab fares and hotel room rates have gotten very, very expensive). Unless changes to the station have been made in recent years, not a particularly pleasant place to be. Even the first class lounge (don't know if it still even exists) was unpleasant. Best experience I ever had was when there was a through sleeper on the Crescent and Sunset (you used the sleeper as your overnight "hotel" in NOL) but that has not existed since the 1970's.

There is (or was) a hotel not far from the station, but since Hurricane Ida passed through, it's anyone's guess as to when it will have a vacancy (if it wasn't damaged). There are a few hotels in the area, though, but may not be within walking distance.

Last I checked, the two Hyatt’s, which are a few blocks away, were planning to reopen October 1. That is contingent on recovering from Ida.
You will need to check hotel websites for info as to whether they’re open yet.

There are a couple of Holiday Inns within walking distance of the station. Both are around $100. Years ago I took the Sunset and transferred to the Crescent the next morning. I just stayed at the station overnight. Don't think I would do that again.

Thank you all very much for your replies! I was planning on the Hyatt (if open) it seems like a nice hotel. And definitely want to check out the French Quarter anyway. Maybe we will go a day early :)

Thank you all very much for your replies! I was planning on the Hyatt (if open) it seems like a nice hotel. And definitely want to check out the French Quarter anyway. Maybe we will go a day early :)
I'd vote for an extra night. If (!) your arrival is delayed you won't get much value out of a one-night stay. I've enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in NO after sleeping in. I know what it feels like to blast myself awake to get going but it's nothing to look forward to.

There is a streetcar (Rampart) that serves the Amtrak station - though it is currently out of service, still, due to the Hardrock Hotel collapse. I believe one of the two Canal Street streetcars is currently covering for the Rampart one between Amtrak and Canal St. Though, due to Ida, I'm not sure if that's still the case.
I had planned to take the Crescent to New Orleans and catch the CONO the next day, until Ida messed up those plans (hotels and CONO).

http://www.norta.com/Getting-Around/Our-Streetcars

I definitely recommend going a day early, spending two nights in a hotel, and using the day between to see the city. The Amtrak connections are such that, with a one-night stay, you might not get much value from the hotel, and there'd be no time for sightseeing.

The last time we made this connection, eastbound in early 2019, the Sunset was due to arrive at 9:40 p.m. but didn't arrive until 5:40 a.m. We were very glad to head to our hotel to finish our night's sleep before moving on to any other activities -- and to have another night to rest up before continuing our trip.

Last edited:
There is (or was) a hotel not far from the station, but since Hurricane Ida passed through, it's anyone's guess as to when it will have a vacancy (if it wasn't damaged). There are a few hotels in the area, though, but may not be within walking distance.
This is why there should be a list of hotels nearest ALL of the Amtrak connection points nationwide. It could be made by all of us who live in any connection city. Go drive over to the Amtrak station and look for yourself and submit it to the list. No fancy-schmancy places either. Just the closest safe and hopefully cheapest hotel. For starters, my favorite super-close hotel to the Amtrak in Los Angeles is the METRO PLAZA Hotel 711 N Main Street Los Angeles

I definitely recommend going a day early, spending two nights in a hotel, and using the day between to see the city. The Amtrak connections are such that, with a one-night stay, you might not get much value from the hotel, and there'd be no time for sightseeing.

The last time we made this connection, eastbound in early 2019, the Sunset was due to arrive at 9:40 p.m. but didn't arrive until 5:40 a.m. We were very glad to head to our hotel to finish our night's sleep before moving on to any other activities -- and to have another night to rest up before continuing our trip.
YEP---- this is exactly what I do and why I do it too

This is why there should be a list of hotels nearest ALL of the Amtrak connection points nationwide. It could be made by all of us who live in any connection city. Go drive over to the Amtrak station and look for yourself and submit it to the list. No fancy-schmancy places either. Just the closest safe and hopefully cheapest hotel. For starters, my favorite super-close hotel to the Amtrak in Los Angeles is the METRO PLAZA Hotel 711 N Main Street Los Angeles
Something like this (Rails to Rooms) perhaps? I haven't actually looked at the site for quite a few years until now but I recall using it in the past.

I don't know if this is still the case, but right after Ida struck, hotels that weren't damaged were renting their rooms to locals whose housing was badly damaged and needed a place to stay. So hotel space may be at a premium, depending on how long it takes folks (or their landlords!) to repair their dwellings.

Just find the station on Google Maps, and click on the Hotels button. (That's on a laptop; I haven't tried it on a phone,)

There are many hotels within walking distance to the Amtrak station. Just depends on your definition of walking distance.

There’s a homewood suites and a Drury about a 1/2 mile walk. I loved staying there as it’s right on the St. Charles streetcar line.

I always google hotels near Amtrak stations. If they are a mile or less and reasonably priced(under $100,) I'll go for it.

Why not? If you are asking someone to make a list, shouldn’t that list include all hotels close to the station?
I checked for reasonably priced,decent hotels close to each station on my just completed rail pass. Usual chains and some nice independent hotels like the Plaza in Las Vegas NM and the Glenwood Springs Co. Inn

Something like this (Rails to Rooms) perhaps? I haven't actually looked at the site for quite a few years until now but I recall using it in the past.
That list is maintained by Kevin at OTOL. I am pretty sure he maintained it regularly pre-pandemic. I am not sure about now since so much has changed.

I checked for reasonably priced,decent hotels close to each station on my just completed rail pass. Usual chains and some nice independent hotels like the Plaza in Las Vegas NM and the Glenwood Springs Co. Inn
The Plaza? Did you know that The Plaza was one of the filming locations in the movie "No Country For Old Men? That was the Hotel where Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem get in to the big shootout in room 210 and Josh jumps out the window where the shooting continues in the street. This would be a perfect stopping point if you can get room 210 and watch the DVD IN THAT ROOM

Back