So I guess the Malahat is dead?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read (I think it was at TRAINS newswire) that the Feds have promised funding in the amount of several millions of Loonies .

Correction: The article is from July 30, 2015, and said that the BC government has decided to keep its previous commitment of 7 million Loonies after deciding in April of this year to review said commitment of said Loonies. That said, all upgrade work must not exceed 20.4 million Loonies.

Now how will they know before work starts what the true cost will be? Someone in the BC government must think that the Island Corridor Foundation has a really good crystal ball? ;)

So, MAYBE trains will roll in 2016.

My crystal ball ain't that good! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think this train passed through nine circles. What a divine comedy of errors! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Train service could return next year

Southern Railway of Vancouver Island (SVI) expects passenger train service to return to the Island by the end of next year or early 2017.

The operator of the E&N Railway said Friday it has sign-off on all funding except $7.5 million from the federal government, which was held up because of the election.

But the company expects an agreement in principle will be signed by early-2016, after which it can go to tender and rehabilitate the track. The plan is to replace 9,000 rail joints, renew 110,000 wood ties, add 56.5k tonnes of ballast, and lift and resurface the track.

Back