So, what kind of trip can I expect tonight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
I leave Atlanta tonight(Friday Feb. 7) on the Crescent to Washington DC. Arrive Sat AM.(supposedly) and leave Sat night Feb.8, back to Atl sunday morning Feb. 9

I intend to ride the metro to the foggy bottom station and take the bus shuttle to the Kennedy Center. After that I planned to walk around the museums near the mall. (I am used to the museums and the mall).

Question--Any idea how the expected eigh tinches snowfall may affect all this?

I can check train status, but an concerned about tidbits like whether the Metro will be operating(It has been known to shut down).

I plan to leave the office about 4:30 today so any tidbits would be appreciated.

It depends on where you are, but the NEC Doesn't appear to be having any problems, as most trains seem to be running on time.

Earlier Northbound Trains ranged from 9 minutes to 29 Minutes late, but the more recent ones are running on time.

Enjoy Your Trip. :)

DC shouldn't be to bad but from the New Jersey to Massachusetts coast they are expecting 1 foot of snow. Snow Day!!!!

Even still this light fluffy snow will not stop a train.

But It'll Stop a Plane. :lol:

Amfleet, I'm in NJ and I'm suposed to get 5-7", with Some areas getting 7-9" including the Shore and Long Island.

1/3 of LGA flights are cancelled as of now. I'm sure EWR is glad they have an Amtrak Station. If Amtrak were smart they might have a couple more trains stop there today. :rolleyes:

Amfleet said:
I can say that all the New York area airports are probably shut down, and Providence TFG and Boston Logan will probably close by noon.
Well at present all three airports are open, although they are reporting delays. However, the bigger problem is that airlines are not sending planes this way, so they won't get trapped. Therefore there are less planes taking off, with some flights getting canceled for lack of equipment.

My guess is that with only 6 inches forecasted for this area, that the delay will continue but there will be no closures. If any airport were to close then it would only be LaGuardia, they suffer the worst delays from weather. In part because of where the airport is located, and in part from it's small size.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I plan to leave the office about 4:30 today so any tidbits would be appreciated.
Bring boots! :lol:

Seriously though, the storm will be long over before you get to DC on Saturday. So if the Metro does encounter any problems, I'm sure that they will be solved before you get to DC. The storm is forcasted to end here in NYC early this afternoon, so it will end in DC probably before noon. That will give them plenty of time to sort out any Metro problems.

Walking however could be far more interesting, so be careful.

Alan, thanks for the specific info as to "boots", being careful, etc.

I had already decided to take a huge umbrella I have, to use as a sort of "cane". I am a good walker but I have a "dizziness" or orientation problem so I do have to be careful. I just checked TODAY'S northbound #20 and it is performing quite well (expected early into Baltimore).....so guess my trip will be a winner after all.

But please, one and all, stay in touch with me if things change or get worse, even yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back