Some entertainment from the Blue Book

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As all of know, Amtrak is very much a YMMV service. However, there are supposedly some rules, here are some selections that should provide some entertainment:

8. Hours of Service – Cafe/Lounge Cars
a) Open and Ready
The collection of tickets is not a reason to delay the opening of any Food Service Car.
• Announcements that advise customers to wait until all tickets have been collected before visiting Food Service Cars are prohibited.

b) Hours of Service – Long Distance Trains
• Cafe/Lounge Cars operating on long distance trains (500 miles or more) will have normal hours of service from 6:00 am until midnight (?!), unless otherwise indicated on the train manifest.
• Cafe/Lounge Cars on long distance trains should remain open until 30 minutes prior to the arrival at the final terminal.
If a customer wants to make a purchase after closing, all efforts should be made to provide service.

10. Flexible Dining Service Flexible Dining is a relaxed, freestyle dining service for Sleeping car customers on select long distance routes.
• Flexible Dining Service routes:
• Crescent (19/20)
• Capitol Limited (29/30)
• Lake Shore Limited (48/49/448/449)
• Cardinal (50/51)
• City of New Orleans (58/59)
• Sliver Star (91/92)
• Silver Meteor (97/98)
(where's the Eagle? Mysteriously turned into a real train from the wretched orphan it is?)
• Meals are provided from an exclusive lounge only for Sleeping car customers.
• Sleeping car customers are entitled to one alcoholic beverage (must be 21 and over).
• Sleeping car customers are entitled to unlimited non-alcoholic beverages.
Breakfast service is a grab-and-go continental breakfast service.
• Customers can have as many breakfast items as they like.
(this one may require some revision...)
• Lunch/Dinner – Customers are entitled to one entrée per meal period.
• Hours of Service:
• Breakfast: 6:30AM – 11:00AM
• Lunch/Dinner: 11:00AM – 11:00PM
Exclusive lounge is available for sleeping car customers to relax, dine and socialize 24/7. (somebody really ought to tell the crews on the Crescent and the Card)
Dining times are flexible – customers can eat when they choose while the attendant is on duty

For further enlightenment and entertainment:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...-service-standards-manual-021422-redacted.pdf

Dining times are flexible – customers can eat when they choose while the attendant is on duty
On my 2 recent Silver Star trips, the SCA took a reservation for dinner and the LSA had the food ready (though not completely accurately). I think it's better that way. If it were eat "on demand", the meals more likely would be microwaved rather than oven warmed.

I think the reservations also prevented the diner from becoming crowded, enabling each party to have their own table.

On my 2 recent Silver Star trips, the SCA took a reservation for dinner and the LSA had the food ready (though not completely accurately). I think it's better that way. If it were eat "on demand", the meals more likely would be microwaved rather than oven warmed.

I think the reservations also prevented the diner from becoming crowded, enabling each party to have their own table.
Yeah, I actually don't have a problem with it (it was the same way on the LSL last November), although in theory being able to eat until 11 pm in Flex was an eye opener. Perhaps if you get hungry enough you'll ignore what you're eating? I mainly was pointing out the differences between the rule and the practice.

One big objection with "choose your own adventure" approach many OBS crews take to the rules is the one above it, access to the lounge space. While I recognize that use of Amfleet Cafes for Flex Dining service is not specifically addressed, barring passengers from the lounge/diner is clearly contrary to specific rule. If anyone feels like downloading the Blue Book and using it to substantiate going "Karen" on one of those crews restricting passengers to their rooms, more power to you. Personally, those trains are on my "do not ride" list like the Eagle at present.

Is the "Blue Book" the Service Standard Manual?

I found the following under "On-Board Announcements & Signage":

Get-a-Grip
To be made on all trains departing majors station stops and may be made at Conductor’s discretion at other stations with large boarding numbers.
Sudden movement may occur while the train is in motion. Please ensure you “Get-A-Grop” [sic] and hold on to hand rails, luggage racks, seat backs, or tables as you move about the train.​

They missed the ending "e". 🤪

Last edited:
Is the "Blue Book" the Service Standard Manual?

I found the following under "On-Board Announcements & Signage":

Get-a-Grip
To be made on all trains departing majors station stops and may be made at Conductor’s discretion at other stations with large boarding numbers.
Sudden movement may occur while the train is in motion. Please ensure you “Get-A-Grop” and hold on to hand rails, luggage racks, seat backs, or tables as you move about the train.​

They missed the ending "e". 🤪

There was a whole "Get-A-Grip" campaign right before COVID. Handed out little lapel pins with a logo to put on lanyards. It was targeted at reducing minor passenger injuries caused by falls due to train movement. Of course, you could reduce a lot of sudden, unexpected train movement with better maintained track. *cough* Norfolk Southern *cough*.

Back