South Florida turnaround stop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixj

Service Attendant
I want to take a trip on the Silver Meteor from Washington to the Miami area this fall. The train trip is really the destination, so my question is where to get off for the turnaround in South Florida? Which locations have the best stations, Lyft, and nearby hotels for a quick turn around? West Palm, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Ft Lauderdale or all the way to Miami?

I want to take a trip on the Silver Meteor from Washington to the Miami area this fall. The train trip is really the destination, so my question is where to get off for the turnaround in South Florida? Which locations have the best stations, Lyft, and nearby hotels for a quick turn around? West Palm, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Ft Lauderdale or all the way to Miami?
There is a Doubletree in Deerfield Beach that has a shuttle that will transport you to and from the Amtrak station (and the beach if you so choose).

In my opinion, there are no decent hotels close to the Miami station.
Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood are better options than Miami.

There is a Doubletree in Deerfield Beach that has a shuttle that will transport you to and from the Amtrak station (and the beach if you so choose).

In my opinion, there are no decent hotels close to the Miami station.
Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood are better options than Miami.

Thank you, Penny, for coming up with a good hotel for an overnight or two in South Florida.

I tried to do a quick one-night stay in South Florida in January and had planned to ride the new Brightline. Unfortunately, a 3+ hr late Silver Meteor southbound put the kibosh on that idea. I also decided to 'stay cheap' at the Days Inn Ft Lauderdale on Broward Blvd a couple of blocks from the station. Big mistake! It's a dump and they refused to offer shuttle service to the station. So it was a 15 minute walk each way. Fortunately, I have rolling luggage so it wasn't too terrible. Perhaps this October or November when it cools down in Florida, this New Englander will book 2 nights to ensure I can ride the Brightline end to end and catch Tri-Rail from Deerfield to Miami and back (to catch/return from Brightline).

Maybe I am biased, but I prefer West Palm Beach over the larger Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. There are a number of hotels in the downtown area that are a short cab ride away from the Amtrak station. In downtown, Brightline is a short walk away and a free city trolley (Green Line) more or less connect Brightline and Tri-Rail. Clematis Street has a decent number of restaurants and there is also an outdoor shopping mall called Rosemary Square (formally known as CityPlace) within walking distance too.

https://downtownwpb.com/trolley-2/

The other thing to consider is that later in the fall, it will be getting dark soon after the train leaves West Palm Beach. This will be especially true if the train is late. So if I were doing this, I'd turn at West Palm Beach, which looked like a pretty nice place, at least from the view of the train.

I spent the day searching google maps of the five South Florida stops I think I'm down to Deerfield Beach and the Double Tree or West Palm and the Double tree.
How about Lyft in these areas. Are they prompt and frequent?

When in Deerfield Beach, I either walked between the station and the Doubletree or took the hotel shuttle. Every time I stayed at the hotel, I had dinner at a restaurant at the beach and took the hotel shuttle.

I never needed to take Lyft, but I assume it active.

I've only taken Lyft once and it was in Boca Raton. I didn't have to wait more than 2 minutes for the driver to show up (this was during the lunch hour, after I just missed the bus), but it was very expensive. There are also a number of cabs that meet the train in West Palm Beach, although I have never needed to use one so I can't speak to their reputation.

My heart is breaking into a million pieces at the thought of taking the train all the way from WAS to South Florida only to turn around and return. Having said that..
-Uber and Lyft are ubiquitous, never any problem getting a car.
-There are hotel options at all of the stops you mentioned.
-Miami being the end of the line, by that time you've been on the train all day; the earlier stops you mentioned are advantageous for that reason alone, in addition to other considerations.
-Miami airport hotels have the advantage of being less expensive (not all of them, but in general)

Uber is not as ubiquitous as we had hoped. In Springfield MA we could not find one after arriving by LSL. Fortunately a city bus came to our rescue.

My response was specific to South Florida. in Miami-Dade and Broward counties we have never had a problem getting a car within 5 minutes.

I'm sitting in a quaint bed and breakfast in West Palm Beach after 'doing it ALL, end to end' today!

Thanks to this thread and others, and the soon to come end of REAL food in the Silver Meteor dining cars, my 'blue sky' trip to south Florida got moved up from the January-February plan. I spent an hour or so printing out maps of Tri-Rail, Miami MetroRail and Miami Metro Mover. I also printed the schedule for Tri-Rail to find a 'quick turnaround' point. Like all my transit and commuter train day-trips, I keep all the maps, time tables (if needed) and multiple plans of 'connecting the routes' in my pocket in case there are surprises or changes en route.

I took the Silver Star from NYP as I hadn't ridden to/from Tampa in nearly 40 years when I made a trip to a client in Clearwater. I got off and on in Clearwater back then, too. This time, it was off at West Palm Beach and a 10 minute walk to the B&B and spent the night. It was then a 2 short blocks walk - about 5 minutes - to the Brightline station and took the 8:30 AM departure to Miami. Fortunately, passing storms had just passed through a few minutes before each walk.

Arriving Miami and out the door on the west side of the station, it was about 100 yards from the entrance to Metrorail. In checking the ticket machine, I found an all-day ticket for $5.75. Without thinking, I chose the 'reusable card' instead of a paper ticket which cost an extra $2.00. BofA then declined the card so I paid cash. Big mistake! I gave it a $20 bill and it gave me a slot-machine 'jackpot' of Susan B Anthony and Sacajawea dollar coins and a quarter.

My first trip on MetroRail was an Orange Line train south to the end of the line at Dadeland South. The same train then returned north and I took it all the way to MIA airport as I figured I'd take the 'Y' of the two Metrorail routes and board the Green Line at Tri-Rail station (where Tri-Rail and MetroRail meet other than the airport). I decided to do Tri-Rail in the late morning/early afternoon to avoid rush hour mobs. It was the right choice. Both trains were maybe 25% full.

Special note for transferring from Metrorail to Tri-Rail at MIA airport: The Metrorail station tracks are about 30 feet above ground level and Tri-Rail tracks are on the ground, alongside and parallel to the MetroRail tracks. Either take the escalator UP from the MetroRail track level to the 'airport' level to get to Tri-Rail, OR, get to the ground level and walk to the 'end of the tracks' (South?) to enter Tri-Rail at the 'main entrance'. Special note, if going up to the airport level, take the exit gates to your left (away from the airport) and get your Tri-Rail ticket at the machine immediately outside of the exit gate. I didn't see them and ended up going down to track level and walking to the end of the tracks to get my ticket. I had only 5 minutes or so to get my ticket at that point, I opted for a round-trip Tri-Rail ticket just in case I wanted to come back to the airport. It saved about 2 minutes buying a separate ticket to get back to the Tri-Rail station where it meets Metrorail. Of note on Metrorail is that the all-stainless steel cars are the older cars (and show it inside) but have surprisingly comfortable seats, although the cushions are somewhat 'broken down' from steady use. The new two-tone blue and stainless cars have what I call 'transit standard' modern formed stainless steel seats with MAYBE 3/4" of padding that can be easily pressed with one finger all the way to the steel underneath.

Continued next post due to 1000 character limit.

As I've ridden Amtrak to/from Ft Lauderdale a couple of times in the past 30 years or so - including this past January - I figured I'd only go as far as Ft Lauderdale Airport which is about a mile or so south of the Ft Lauderdale station. There, it was a walk across the tracks at the street on the north end of the station to board a southbound train 6-7 minutes later. The timetable indicated I would 'just miss' making the same southbound train had I stayed aboard to Ft Lauderdale. While waiting for the southbound train, I discovered I was looking for a toilet AND my stomach was telling me I'm 'starving'. So I decided to ride all the way back to the MIA airport and satisfy both needs there.

I think it's a toss-up as to which airport, MIA or MDW in Chicago is the furthest away from the rail station. But first, it's necessary to ride airport automated rubber-tire 'train' to the terminals then it's moving sidewalks from there. Even with the moving sidewalks at MIA, it was still 8-10 minutes to get to 'food'. I made the mistake of first going to the 'rental car' counter 'building'. Toilets, yes. Food, NO! Even the toilets were hard to find there! And of course, along the way at a 'break' between moving walkways, there was a overhead sign 'good food and drink, take elevator down right here! The elevator entrances were boarded over. I found Le Bon Pain (what a name!) in one of the terminals and paid for a slice of pizza and a Diet Coke with some of my 'jackpot' Susan B's and Sacajawea's. She carefully looked at one of each type to make sure they were real money. I would have too had I not had a similar jackpot on the Philadelphia subway about a year ago.

So, taking the 'trek' back to the Metrorail station, I boarded the orange line train to ride to the first stop, then switch to the green line train to Palmeto...the end of the line, which is 3 stops west of the Tri-Rail station. Then taking the train back as far as Government Center' it was out the gates', down to the ground level (from 2nd level up), and up 1 level to get to the FREE Miami MetroMover.

The Miami Metromover is also completely automated individual or paired 30' long rubber tired cars that follow a dual center guideway with what appears to be dual power feeders on each side of the guideway. LIONEL Lives! Most interesting were the 'switches'. In railroad terms, they are 'stub' switches where the center guideway only moves across the 'frog end' in slow motion. Each of the 'wings' of the stub has a gap to allow the rubber tires to pass through as the guideway is about 4-5" above the concrete 'roadway' tracks for the tires. How the tires decide to take the switch or go straight must be the result of electronic 'magic'.

I plotted a couple scenarios of how to ride past all the stations and minimize the number of stations I passed though twice. It's basically 3 overlapping loops with the green line going north out of the loop, the red line going south, and the orange line going around the loop non stop in the opposite direction of the other two routes. The first train that showed up - a single 30' car - was the red line to Financial District end of the line at the south. I could have taken the same car back, but as there were a good number of people waiting to board, I decided to wait 5-10 minutes for the next car to arrive & depart. I took the next car back to Knight Center (on the loop) and transferred to the green line single car to 'School Board'. While waiting for that car to arrive, I looked carefully at the route map in the station and found that the Wilke Ferguson aka Arena/State Plaza on my paper map is at the south end of the Brightline station. So, my plan was to ride the green line train to the end and back, get off at the Wilke Ferguson station, switch to the inner orange line train and make a complete loop returning to Wilke Ferguson to board Brightline. Riding the entire loop was about 10 minutes and each of the other 2 routes is about 10 minutes each way from loop to end of track. What's interesting about these automated cars is that the red and green lines are single cars only and most were somewhat crowded in the downtown loop area. The orange line 'inner loop' cars were in pairs and only 5-10 passengers in each. Also of note is that there are only 4 seats in each car, everyone else stands and hangs on! Interestingly, the cars on the inner loop acted like an automobile and 'pumped the brakes' at 2 of the stations. Go figure.

I was back in the Brightline station about 4:20PM. As I was planning on riding the 'select' class (nicer than Acela First Class!) again and getting a bit of free nourishment and free soda (I've been sober for more than 20 years) in the lounge first, I was going to take the 5:10 train, but the schedule on the screen at the ticket machines showed it was cancelled, so I took the 4:40. I'd have just enough time to get my ticket and get aboard. When getting my ticket in the morning, I didn't see the 'change seat' option, and it assigned me to seat 43, a single, forward facing seat on the west side of the train in the middle of the car. I thought I'd try changing seats on the evening train, but when it showed me the filled and available seats, I couldn't get a forward facing seat at a table for 4, so I took the one the computer assigned automatically...43 again. Except at the tables, all the seats had been turned to face forward at MIA. The trip back to WPB was quick and fast as far as the Ft Lauderdale station. We proceeded out of the station at 5-10 mph and kept that speed for a good 30-40 minutes. We even stopped briefly a couple of times. I initially figured we were behind a slow freight (does FEC run ANY freight slow on very-smooth track?) or were we down to single track account the other was out of service for maintenance? After about 10 minutes of going slow, they made an announcement over the PA as to why but with my poor hearing aids that are getting replaced in a couple weeks, I couldn't understand a word of what they said account too many passengers talking. 2 more announcements and 2 brief stops later, we speeded up to 30mph per my cell phone GPS. THEN I saw the reason for the slow running...crossing gate problems. There was a crew working on the gates at one of the crossings, and it was about 6:30 when we passed them! THAT had to be the problem. We were cruising at 75 mph (per my GPS) from that point on. PTC must have been forcing us to go slow the whole time! That explains the couple of words I did understand of the last announcement...'apologize', 'safety' and 'security'.

When I rode south this past January, my only goal then was to ride the Brightline. But arriving at FTL a couple hours late that trip and a 9:30ish departure in the morning, I never got to ride Brightline at all. So, based on this thread and suggestions on another forum, spending 2 nights in Florida is the secret to 'riding it all end-to-end'.

And to finish off my south Florida joy riding...one of the click-bait threads I found online while on the Silver Star was about the best burger joints in the USA praised 'Grease' in West Palm Beach. It was at the north end of the Brightrail station and 3-4 blocks straight east on Clematis St. They were right! A super delicious burger (12 oz of meat!!) cooked to order! (very rare for me). It's a great sports bar with TVs and maybe 10 or more different stations being shown. But as a recovering alcoholic, seeing 500 or more DIFFERENT kinds of booze behind the bar was like being a kid in a candy shop! Diet Pepsi sufficed.

Enjoyed your detailed report. I had considered doing something similar, but won't get it in before the demise of dining on the Meteor. Did you by chance notice if the Marriott hotel is within walking distance of WPB Amtrak? It appears so on a map and was part of my plan - now postponed indefinitely.

Here's a link to my experience...a different sort of 'turnaround', but I highly recommend the hotel, even if quite a distance from the Miami Amtrak station. You really should consider staying two nights, and make a 'vacation' of it...
https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/threads/silver-meteor-98-wpb-nyp-12-jul-2019.75698/

Enjoyed your detailed report. I had considered doing something similar, but won't get it in before the demise of dining on the Meteor. Did you by chance notice if the Marriott hotel is within walking distance of WPB Amtrak? It appears so on a map and was part of my plan - now postponed indefinitely.

Having experience in the area, you would have to go across the tracks to the west side of the station where the county buses are and walk along Clearwater Dr to the driveway where the Marriott is. Google Maps suggests walking along Tamarind Ave to Okeechobee Blvd, but there is no sidewalk and both roads will have vehicles flying past you at high speed. I personally would just request a shuttle/Lyft/taxi.

In looking the map, the Marriot is about as far from the station as I was at the Hibiscus House B&B on Rosemary St. As Chrsjrcj said above, it may be safer getting to the west side of the tracks, first. The overhead walkway to get to track 2 is one option. However...when I got off the train Tuesday afternoon, I walked down the sidewalk on the east side of the tracks along Tamarind Ave down to the stop light at Evernia St. to cross. I think the sidewalk may have continued past there, I didn't notice.

For what it's worth, the two reasons I chose the Hibernia House B&B was its price and being in between the Amtrak/Tri-Rail station and the Brightline station. It was a 10 minute walk to/from WPB and Hibernia House (up and down a slight hill, too), and 5 minutes from there to Brightline. Also note there's a free WPB town 'trolley' (rubber tired) that has three routes around town. I didn't realize it was there until I saw one on my walk to Hibernia House. I went to their website to check the routes and schedules. Not bad, but the trolley that ran past the B&B didn't start running until 10 AM or so. Definitely consider the trolley if it fits your needs.

In looking the map, the Marriot is about as far from the station as I was at the Hibiscus House B&B on Rosemary St. As Chrsjrcj said above, it may be safer getting to the west side of the tracks, first. The overhead walkway to get to track 2 is one option. However...when I got off the train Tuesday afternoon, I walked down the sidewalk on the east side of the tracks along Tamarind Ave down to the stop light at Evernia St. to cross. I think the sidewalk may have continued past there, I didn't notice.

For what it's worth, the two reasons I chose the Hibernia House B&B was its price and being in between the Amtrak/Tri-Rail station and the Brightline station. It was a 10 minute walk to/from WPB and Hibernia House (up and down a slight hill, too), and 5 minutes from there to Brightline. Also note there's a free WPB town 'trolley' (rubber tired) that has three routes around town. I didn't realize it was there until I saw one on my walk to Hibernia House. I went to their website to check the routes and schedules. Not bad, but the trolley that ran past the B&B didn't start running until 10 AM or so. Definitely consider the trolley if it fits your needs.

bratkinson,

You are quite a rail traveler! I am glad that I had the chance to meet you on the Silver Meteor in January.

Thanks for the replies and walking directions. Unfortunately I'm one of "those" Marriott people who will do anything to inflate the yearly stay total.;) I'm always on the lookout for Marriott properties close to rail stations, which oddly is easier to do in Europe than North America.

Thanks for the replies and walking directions. Unfortunately I'm one of "those" Marriott people who will do anything to inflate the yearly stay total.;) I'm always on the lookout for Marriott properties close to rail stations, which oddly is easier to do in Europe than North America.

Since you're a Marriott person, I spotted a Marriott Courtyard hotel across the street from the Tri-Rail Ft Lauderdale Airport station while waiting for the train back to MIA. Here it is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...52fafc52177efc!8m2!3d26.0615431!4d-80.1661526

Back