South Shore privatization plan denied

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
South Shore privatization plan denied MUNSTER, Ind. -- A top official of northern Indiana's South Shore commuter line says it is studying the feasibility of privatizing the rail service at the prompting of the Daniels administration, according to this Associated Press report.

Gov. Mitch Daniels' office, however, on Wednesday denied that the administration had proposed the state consider leasing the South Bend-to-Chicago line to a private operator.

"The governor has zero interest in 'selling or leasing out the South Shore,' and has no ability to do so if he did," the governor's office said in a statement.

The report comes barely a month before an election in which some Republican legislative candidates are distancing themselves from Daniels' push for a $3.8 billion lease of the Indiana Toll Road to a foreign company for 75 years.
http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_news.cfm?ArticleID=30912

South Shore privatization plan denied MUNSTER, Ind. -- A top official of northern Indiana's South Shore commuter line says it is studying the feasibility of privatizing the rail service at the prompting of the Daniels administration, according to this Associated Press report.

Gov. Mitch Daniels' office, however, on Wednesday denied that the administration had proposed the state consider leasing the South Bend-to-Chicago line to a private operator.

"The governor has zero interest in 'selling or leasing out the South Shore,' and has no ability to do so if he did," the governor's office said in a statement.

The report comes barely a month before an election in which some Republican legislative candidates are distancing themselves from Daniels' push for a $3.8 billion lease of the Indiana Toll Road to a foreign company for 75 years.
http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_news.cfm?ArticleID=30912
Is there any relationship between the South Shore and Metra?

I believe the only relationship is that the South Shore uses Metra Electric to access Chicago and Randolph St. Station. I do not believe they cross honor fares or anything of that sort.

I don't know for sure, but I thought that Metra monthly tickets were valid between Hegewisch and Chicago, since Hegewisch is in Illinois. However, I can't find any documentation on either the Metra nor the South Shore website that would confirm this.

I don't know for sure, but I thought that Metra monthly tickets were valid between Hegewisch and Chicago, since Hegewisch is in Illinois. However, I can't find any documentation on either the Metra nor the South Shore website that would confirm this.
So does this mean that you're hedging your bets? :lol: :lol:

Back