Southbound on the CNO ...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanan

OBS Chief
I'm riding the City of New Orleans southbound from Chicago to New Orleans in a few weeks ... a trip I first did a couple of years ago, and quite enjoyed. And I've got a couple of quick questions for you folks:

1. Can anyone confirm the approximate time that first-class boarding begins in Chicago -- and that dinner is offered southbound? Does the CCC really begin serving an hour before departure, as was initially advertised? I need to decide whether to wait for dinner on board, or to go hunting for that infamous Chicago pizza that you guys keep raving about. :)

2. I usually book roomettes for my Amtrak travels, but the cost of a bedroom was so ridiculously cheap for this trip ($143) that I thought I'd sample the larger room for a change. My price has to be the lowest fare bucket, so I assume that at this point I basically have my choice of rooms. I've been assigned bedroom "D," which I'm assuming is as good as any -- near the center of the car, but not right by the stairs. Is there any reason to ask for a different room? I've assumed that Bedroom "A" is the least-desirable choice, but the others are virtually identical.)

Many thanks!

We did southbound a couple months ago and did get to eat on the train after boarding, but we also get pizza too in the afternoon because we came in on the CL train. So I would recommend doing both, order a small pizza, its thick.

I can not say on A vs D room as I don't pay attention other than the food and looking out the window.

We did southbound a couple months ago and did get to eat on the train after boarding, but we also get pizza too in the afternoon because we came in on the CL train. So I would recommend doing both, order a small pizza, its thick.
I can not say on A vs D room as I don't pay attention other than the food and looking out the window.
where did you get the pizza,???

i'm coming in on the CL and going out on the SWC, need lunch somewhere

Bob

If you're not hungry for pizza, then a quick walk to Lou Mitchell's, which is just about a block west of the south doors of CUS, is worth the effort. If anything, it's worth the trip there to pick up some pastires to take on your next train (if you don't eat them all before the train leaves :) )

You will like the bedroom over the roomette no matter which room it is. One bedroom trip will not be enough,I bet that you will surely want to try it again someday.

You will like the bedroom over the roomette no matter which room it is. One bedroom trip will not be enough,I bet that you will surely want to try it again someday.
Ya know, I'm actually wondering about that. The best thing about a night in a sleeping car is that I can lay in bed at dawn, propped up on the pillows and with a cup of coffee, and watch the scenery cruise by through the window. That works great in a roomette, but you can't really do it in a bedroom because of the crosswise bed. :(

Ya know, I'm actually wondering about that. The best thing about a night in a sleeping car is that I can lay in bed at dawn, propped up on the pillows and with a cup of coffee, and watch the scenery cruise by through the window. That works great in a roomette, but you can't really do it in a bedroom because of the crosswise bed. :(
Aloha

Well I prefer to drift off to sleep watching the country go by, and in a full moon even better, So as a single travler I prefer the roomette for the bed being along the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back