Southwest Chief #3(25)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope not another locomotive failure. One of the Flagstaff agents told me recently that a conductor said to him that BNSF is getting tired of providing rescue engines.

Seems like grade crossing incidents are happening far too often. Maybe it's time for local authorities to up the fines and enforcement for running around the barriers and or flashing lights.

I'm on board now.

We hit a car at a grade crossing at around 10 AM MT this morning. Everyone on the train is OK, but sadly, it was a family of 5, and several were killed. :(

We'll soon be backing up, presumably so they can get the car off the tracks. Very sad.

Always the innocent ones who suffer in incidents like this! RIP to those killed, and comfort to the crew,first responders and passengers for this needless tragedy!

Last edited by a moderator:
The crossing was unprotected. There's a sign, but no lights or crossing arms. It's a dirt road.

The crew has been exceptional in dealing with this, certainly very tragic situation (there were children involved).

There are a lot of Amtrak personnel on the scene. They're inspecting the engine to determine whether we can continue, or whether we'll need a new engine.

Among other things involved in this tragedy, there probably is another crew being transported from Albuquerque to take over this train, which still seems to be there in Trinidad. Dirt road, no gates ? Shouldn't a driver take a good look both ways? Of course, but too late now.

Seems like grade crossing incidents are happening far too often. Maybe it's time for local authorities to up the fines and enforcement for running around the barriers and or flashing lights.
Logic fail.

The people who do that don't look around to see if some LEO is watching, or think about how much the fine might be.

As long as there are at-grade crossings will be people that will go around the barriers and ignore the flashing lights - regardless how much the fine is or how often a LEO happens to be around to see them go around the barriers and ignore the flashing lights.

The crossing was unprotected. There's a sign, but no lights or crossing arms. It's a dirt road.

The crew has been exceptional in dealing with this, certainly very tragic situation (there were children involved).

There are a lot of Amtrak personnel on the scene. They're inspecting the engine to determine whether we can continue, or whether we'll need a new engine.
I'm on board as well and dclpjr is correct - the crew has been exceptional.

We're moving now. Media coverage has started - http://www.9news.com/news/local/amtrak-train-collides-with-vehicle-in-southern-colorado/256385191

5 dead and one child injured. Terrible. These days here in Flagstaff I always look both directions before driving across the tracks. Freight trains are frequent. Who says the lights and gates are absolutely guaranteed to work properly?

5 dead and one child injured. Terrible. These days here in Flagstaff I always look both directions before driving across the tracks. Freight trains are frequent. Who says the lights and gates are absolutely guaranteed to work properly?
This is a bad one. 2 adults, 3 children killed, one surviving child in critical condition. Grade crossing with crossbucks, no gates. According to the news report, the crossing was on CR 32, north of Trinidad. Looking at the crossing in a satellite image, CR 32 ends just short of railroad tracks with what looks to be a private crossing to a property on the SE side of the tracks.

Any fatal grade crossing collision is sad. But there have seemingly been too many of these involving Amtrak in recent months.

Very sad and unfortunate news. We extend our deepest condolences to the family.

Years back at grade crossings with no signal lights; on the crossbuck sign it said Stop, Look and.... Listen! Still good advise today.

These days here in Flagstaff I always look both directions before driving across the tracks. Freight trains are frequent. Who says the lights and gates are absolutely guaranteed to work properly?
&
I never totally rely on gates. Always check both directions when they are not down.
I agree that's a rational common sense position and I support it. That being said, I've read about hundreds of grade crossing accidents over the years and it's exceedingly rare that improper functioning of the gates is to blame. Most of the time it seems to be caused by ignorant machismo, intentional suicide, or simple carelessness.

How fast was the train going?

was the car stopped?
Looking at today's SW Chief, unless they are going slower for some reason today, they were travelling around 30 MPH thru Trinidad. My guess would be similar speeds yesterday when the collision occured. Could be 100% wrong, but i think its a valid guess.

My hopes and prayers are extended especially with the crew - this has to be the crappiest part of an engineers life - doing their job and then someone decides they can ignore their approach (no matter how it happens, stop, look, listen) and the result is deadly. The train always wins. Of late several PSA bulletin boards have gone up on the Appalachian highway reinforcing this concept. The rest of the family must be decimated,,, alas

was the car stopped?
Looking at today's SW Chief, unless they are going slower for some reason today, they were travelling around 30 MPH thru Trinidad. My guess would be similar speeds yesterday when the collision occured. Could be 100% wrong, but i think its a valid guess.
The SWC #3 is the westbound SWC and CR 32 is still a couple of miles east from Trinidad proper and near the end of a 7.5 straight section of track.

The train may have been going faster than 30 mph.

was the car stopped?
The SWC #3 is the westbound SWC and CR 32 is still a couple of miles east from Trinidad proper and near the end of a 7.5 straight section of track.

Obviously speculation at this point. If we keep an eye on http://asm.transitdocs.com/for a couple of days we'll probably get a lot more accurate guesstimate. I wonder if Amtrak would ever publish that in a public accident report. Still a shame to think about the innocent loss of life.

was the car stopped?

Obviously speculation at this point. If we keep an eye on http://asm.transitdocs.com/for a couple of days we'll probably get a lot more accurate guesstimate. I wonder if Amtrak would ever publish that in a public accident report. Still a shame to think about the innocent loss of life.
I'm sure it will be in the NTSB report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back