Southwest Chief #3(28)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I see this particular train lost a lot of time between Lamy and Albuquerque yesterday (3 hours) and now seems to be running close to 5 hours late.

Anyone know what caused this delay?

(FYI, leaving on #3 from Lamy on July 4th so have been watching it closely)

What I see is that it left Lamy about an hour late and was about the same into ABQ. Then departed ABQ over four hours late. I would not think the commuter train would gum it up that much. Mechanical problem? Lack of rested crew members? I will try to find out later when I ask my friendly afternoon agent, who was probably stuck for overtime last night.

What I see is that it left Lamy about an hour late and was about the same into ABQ. Then departed ABQ over four hours late. I would not think the commuter train would gum it up that much. Mechanical problem? Lack of rested crew members? I will try to find out later when I ask my friendly afternoon agent, who was probably stuck for overtime last night.
You are right. I was looking at http://asm.transitdocs.com/which just lists one time for Albuquerque, guess it was departure.

That train was transporting one of the Surfliner F59PHI engines back to Los Angeles. Reports from a friend on board was that the F59 was causing problems.

Looking at Amtrak Status Maps, #3 of June 29th lost a bunch of time from ABQ to GLP. It departed ABQ 44 minutes late but departed GLP 2 hours, 21 minutes late.

When I was on the late #3 of June 19, we pulled out of ABQ but then sat in the yard for quite some time due to Railrunner interference. Delays just built from there into LAX.

I wonder if a similar issue happened with this train, although losing more than 90 minutes seems extreme.

Looking at Amtrak Status Maps, #3 of June 29th lost a bunch of time from ABQ to GLP. It departed ABQ 44 minutes late but departed GLP 2 hours, 21 minutes late.

When I was on the late #3 of June 19, we pulled out of ABQ but then sat in the yard for quite some time due to Railrunner interference. Delays just built from there into LAX.

I wonder if a similar issue happened with this train, although losing more than 90 minutes seems extreme.

Looks like #3(29) has done no better.
They rescued the previously set out locomotive at ABQ.

Looks like #3(29) has done no better.
They rescued the previously set out locomotive at ABQ.
Wow, that train can't get a break. 8 times more than 2 hours late into LAX just in the past 30 days.

Just observed today's #4 at the crossovers at East Flagstaff 3 and a half hours late. It left LA only half an hour late. Four coaches on the rear and a dark blue private car " Tioga Pass" on the rear. SWC used to have pretty good on time performance.

Just observed today's #4 at the crossovers at East Flagstaff 3 and a half hours late. It left LA only half an hour late. Four coaches on the rear and a dark blue private car " Tioga Pass" on the rear. SWC used to have pretty good on time performance.
Read elsewhere that car is going to Albuquerque where it will over night and go back on Sunday.

That train seems to have become very late after San Bernardino. The person on the private car platform waved at me. ( big thrill-ha)I don't usually see #4 unless I am going to ride it. On my way to the National Monument, to dispense nature facts and occasionally Amtrak advice.

Trivia information: the very long freight train that was being held waiting for the aforementioned late #4, had a total of nine locomotives, 4 on the head end, 3 in the middle, and 2 on the rear. The most I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back