Southwest Chief #3 and #4 in New Mexico Service Disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google "amtrak twitter alerts" and you'll find the answer. You don't have to have a twitter account to see the alerts

Southwest Chief Train 3 which departed Chicago (CHI) on 6/14 is currently holding in Albuquerque (ABQ) due to a disabled freight train ahead. We will provide updates as more information becomes available.

I hope they don't have to set there too long.

When I checked Amtrak Alerts an hour and a half ago they didn't have it. :C

I saw it on the news last night. Laguna Pueblo is where our new Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland is from (or is an enrolled member). Also, she is the first Native American to be a US Cabinet secretary. They did have to evacuate Mesita, part of the Laguna Pueblo, due to all the black smoke emanating from the crash. They were saying that the train wasn't carrying any known hazards though, just the smoke.

I saw it on the news last night. Laguna Pueblo is where our new Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland is from (or is an enrolled member). Also, she is the first Native American to be a US Cabinet secretary. They did have to evacuate Mesita, part of the Laguna Pueblo, due to all the black smoke emanating from the crash. They were saying that the train wasn't carrying any known hazards though, just the smoke.
I hope everyone is ok. That is too bad.

I found this on Yahoo news

Lena Kent, a spokeswoman for the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, said that around 4:20 p.m. 18 cars and two locomotives derailed. She said both main rail lines were closed Monday night but the company planned to resume operations on Tuesday.
There were no injuryies.

At Flagstaff this morning two trains combined and heading west back to LA. Four Amtrak locos out front. Two bags in the back trailed by two private cars. Major shifting of passengers and baggage that took nearly an hour to complete.
Virtual Railfan cams had the action.
Those are #3, so technically they’re not heading “back” to LA as that is their original destination. ;)

I always take extra meds and clothes just in case a situation like this would happen on a train I was on. Plus extra snacks. The packets of peanut butter and my favorite crackers can ease the hunger pains. 👍

So, two No. 3 trains and possibly two No. 4 trains were coupled together and run as a single unit.

It was our understanding that, for safely and/or operational reasons, Amtrak trains had to be a certain length. Coupling two of them together must REALLY have been a drastic measure brought about drastic circumstances! Then there are the logistics of having to provide all those extra meals to the passengers and having to make good on all the “guaranteed connections.”

Speaking of guaranteed connections, it would appear that those passengers holding bedroom tickets for the Coast Starlight will most likely be SOL assuming that Amtrak doesn’t add extra sleepers to the train to accommodate them.

Back