Southwest Chief and Flooding in Kansas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erinch13

Train Attendant
So we have just boarded, July 5, train 3, the SWC to ABQ. Just prior to boarding they announced that this train will terminate in Kansas City, and we will be bussed to Newton, a 4 hour ride, at around 10:30 pm to 2:30 am to pick up another train, due to flooding.

All checked baggage was pulled, and we all had to put it manually on the train. Then pull it off the train, and put it on the bus. And then take it off the bus, and put it on the other train.

The car attendants had not yet been told of these arrangements.

The upside, I guess, is that our luggage is sure to arrive. The downside is it is rather a waste of an expensive bedroom.

They just made the opening announcement and talked about behavior. They did not mention that the train is terminating.

Has anyone been on the SWC and had the bus in the middle?

And what would you do? Call customer relations and ask for some sort of compensation, or let it go?

In my experience it will definitely be worth the call and you will get some compensation but it won't be anywhere near what it should be (or what you think it should be). On our recent trip we lost out on our bedroom New Orleans to Jackson and were bused and then on the same trip we lost out on our roomette Albany to Boston and were bused. Our compensation (for two passengers) was about $150.00. Really quite laughable. (Well at least Amtrak was probably laughing all the way to the bank.)

Then again I have been demoted from roomette to coach on part of a trip several years ago and was refused any compensation. That was more laughable.

In my experience it will definitely be worth the call and you will get some compensation but it won't be anywhere near what it should be (or what you think it should be). On our recent trip we lost out on our bedroom New Orleans to Jackson and were bused and then on the same trip we lost out on our roomette Albany to Boston and were bused. Our compensation (for two passengers) was about $150.00. Really quite laughable. (Well at least Amtrak was probably laughing all the way to the bank.)

Then again I have been demoted from roomette to coach on part of a trip several years ago and was refused any compensation. That was more laughable.
A friend of mine was recently downgraded from a bedroom to a bus on the CONO. I believe he thought the compensation from customer relations was fair and more than adequate.

About four years ago my son and I had to take a bus bridge between Denver and Glenwood Springs. Our inbound train from Chicago was hours late due to a washout in Iowa and they turned our train in Denver and held the previous day's Zephyr in Glenwood Springs to wait on us. Fourtnately we were able to get a roomette on the second leg, same as the first, but we ended up 12 hours late into Emeryville. We got a $1,000 voucher for that inconvenience.

So we have just boarded, July 5, train 3, the SWC to ABQ. Just prior to boarding they announced that this train will terminate in Kansas City, and we will be bussed to Newton, a 4 hour ride, at around 10:30 pm to 2:30 am to pick up another train, due to flooding.

All checked baggage was pulled, and we all had to put it manually on the train. Then pull it off the train, and put it on the bus. And then take it off the bus, and put it on the other train.

The car attendants had not yet been told of these arrangements.

The upside, I guess, is that our luggage is sure to arrive. The downside is it is rather a waste of an expensive bedroom.

They just made the opening announcement and talked about behavior. They did not mention that the train is terminating.

Has anyone been on the SWC and had the bus in the middle?

And what would you do? Call customer relations and ask for some sort of compensation, or let it go?
This happened to us in May. Yes I called got a two hundred dollar voucher. Big hassle with luggage and felt like a waste of roomette. Bussed from abt 1am to 5:30 am

Back