Southwest Chief & Calif Zephyr Sleeper Car #'s?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Way2Kewl

Service Attendant
Starting this week the Southwest Chief & Calif Zephyr are running a 3rd full Sleeper.

As I understand it Sleeper car numbers ascend from the dining car. While some LD trains start with 0 (Texas Eagle xx30) and some with 1, I understand SC and CZ use the following numbering scheme. Can anyone confirm this?

xx21 Trans Sleepers ??
xx33 Full Sleeper ***
xx32 Full Sleeper
xx31 Full Sleeper
..... ↑ Dining

Which Way Facing.jpg

Last edited:
So, Cali Zephyr is good enough for a third sleeper but not my Texas Eagle? It's like the younger brother of an older brother whining to Mom about why the younger of the two cannot have the last pancake on the table...Lol :D:D

As of late September the SWC sleepers began with 0, as in 30, 31, 32. But you are correct for the CZ, at least from the middle of September. I do like seeing the holiday consists, to bad the SWC can’t hold a third sleeper in the summer months.

@JC_620 I agree!! Of course with the fare increases of late I don’t think finding sleeper space on the Texas Eagle will be a problem for a while, since they are only selling the top 3 buckets for bedrooms. It also appears coach hasn’t been very full as of late south of St. Louis, which doesn’t bode well for the train.

Back