Southwest chief-chi-lax

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first segment of a large agr redemption. The entire trip is chi-lax-pdx in a roomette. One night in Portland and then pdx-lax-nol which is another points redemption for a roomette. After a night in New Orleans I'll return to Chicago on the City of New Orleans on a paid ticket in a roomette.

I knew that the metropolitan lounge would be a zoo. 3, 21 and 421 were sold out. So seating space would be scarce. I opted for the Legacy lounge.

I walked in and waited for him to finish with a customer. Then I told him I was traveling in a sleeper on 3. He brusquely states, " you don't want to be in here. You have to pay 10 dollars." After twice explaining to him that I knew the lounge would be crowded I was charged the 10 dollars. It took him 2 minutes to do this which is entirely too long after the argument about whether I wanted to be in there.

I asked him to print my ticket. I did this deliberately to determine services available in the lounge. He said yes and typed my name into the computer (he did it this way because my credit card was still there) but then stated, "I can see it but it won't print." I enquires about luggage storage and was told no, but I could leave it by a chair in the room. I spoke with another passenger and she agreed to watch my luggage while I went to get lunch and my ticket.

I went to the ticket office, where there was a short line. After a minute an agent was taking my booking number and tickets were being instantly printed as she viewed my id. Total transaction was less than a minute. The agent noticed that the trip ended in New Orleans and professionally verified that I did not wish to return to Chicago.

I've enjoyed my brats and a pretzels with a complimentary coke from the lounge. This is nicer environment than the lounge, but the incompetence of the man at the front desk is a definite negative.

Another amtrak employee came to the legacy lounge at 2:20 pm and called for passengers of 3 and 358. We were lead down the to the pre-boarding area and entered from the platform side. After a brief wait we. Boarded. The employees in pre-boarding area were typical in that They did not know if sleepers were ready. The pre-boarding part of legacy lounge guarantee was met.

The sca is on the ball. She looked at my ticket and walked me to the 340 car and opened the door. No extra waiting. No drama. She was very friendly.

Sounds like you're off to a good start Steve! Hopefully your train Karma is good for this trip, its been a tough year so far for the Western LD Trains!

I still don't think I'd pay the $10 ( soon to be $20) for the Legacy Lounge unless I was riding Coach out of Union Station! YMMV

Looking forward to your trip reports, were envious!

The train still has not left Chicago. There are issues with the engines and the brakes. About 3:30 I heard a loud hiss of air and thought we might be under way. But we are still sitting . . .

On the scanner the conductor periodically asks for up dates and the head end replies "not looking to good". The HEP has been on and off at least three times.

Those poor run to death P-42s are in short supply!

Wonder if CHI even has any spares in the yards? Maybe y'all can get a helper Freight engine to get underway?

Possibly an engine in an incoming LD Train can be transfered rather than go out with an engine that should be bad ordered, since you're still in CHI and not sitting in the boonies somewhere waiting on a rescue!

Keep us posted, its awful hot out in the deserts of the SW!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The conductor just announced that a part has to be replaced on the brakes. This will be an additional 30 minutes to an hour.

I just walked the train and AC is working well in all cars. I can deal with a 2 or 3 hour delay. Would prefer making the connection in lax but know I can catch the CS with the bus-train combo up the valley.

Good luck to you! The LD trains seem to be hit or miss depending on the day. If you're patient, and have back up plans, you're fine. Wish you a great adventure!

Dinner in the diner was delicious. The first of many steaks with mashed potatoes. The crew was efficient. The Lsa is a bit over the top in telling passengers to not text in the diner. Phone calls I understand. He announced that you should go to the lounge car to text. Must be fun being a waiter in his diner.

Dinner in the diner was delicious. The first of many steaks with mashed potatoes. The crew was efficient. The Lsa is a bit over the top in telling passengers to not text in the diner. Phone calls I understand. He announced that you should go to the lounge car to text. Must be fun being a waiter in his diner.
Wonder how he'd feel if he knew someone was receiving a text to leave a tip for the waiter. I had to leave dinner early one time due to not feeling well and forgot to leave a tip. So I texted my dining companion and asked her to leave a tip for me and I'd pay her back. :p

Arrived Galesburg at 7:15. The Carl Sandburg is in the station too. Must have been waiting for us. An east bound freight is departing before the Carl Sandburg. So it will follow it too Chicago unless it can over take the Freight east of gbb.

Good to hear that the steak is still good on the Chief! Too bad the LSA is one of those control freaks you run into occasionally!

A couple of hours down in GBB, hopefully the "Kansas Triangle" won't cause more time loss as you sleep! Having Breakfast as the sun comes up in

Colorado with the Mountains in tbe distance while heading for New Mexico is always a treat!

Let us know how the tracks are in Western Kansas, still some of the roughest riding I've had in the past few years on Amtrak!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that was a brats.

I got the private message and responded.

We have been sitting in Topeka for 40 minutes with hep off. I finally Turned on the scanner and discovered that an air hose was being replaced. I'm not sure why Hep would be off for 30 minutes.

Here it is!! Semaphores! ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1438632408.043771.jpg

We had lunch going over rayon pass. I was first in the diner from sleeping car end. Then a family of three straggled I'm from the lounge car. That got seated first and I got the aisle. Annoying. I'm all for community seating but dislike not getting a window seat after playing the dining car game by the rules of the crew.

We have been sitting in Topeka for 40 minutes with hep off. I finally Turned on the scanner and discovered that an air hose was being replaced. I'm not sure why Hep would be off for 30 minutes.
Aloha

Bet the guy changing the Air Hose, didn't want to work that close to the Live HEP 440 Cable. a 440 shock isn't pleasent if you survive it.

Back