Southwest chief-chi-lax

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's true gg1.

Currently 30 miles north of Albuquerque. We've experienced 2 or 3 delays because of rail runner meets. We are now moving. If there are no other meets we will arrive abq over 3 hours late. The connection to 14 will be tight. May not even get into the station to see the new lounge.

That's true gg1.

Currently 30 miles north of Albuquerque. We've experienced 2 or 3 delays because of rail runner meets. We are now moving. If there are no other meets we will arrive abq over 3 hours late. The connection to 14 will be tight. May not even get into the station to see the new lounge.
On my way to the Gathering last fall, I only got to see the tunnel as I went from one platform to the other. Guess I'll have to make another trip out there so I can see more of the station. ;)

This was the view when I woke up.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1438699053.974532.jpg

As we ate breakfast in the diner we over took a freight as we went around a curve.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1438699107.474272.jpg

This last photo is of Apache canyon.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1438699158.179797.jpg

As we arrived Barstow I received an email from Amtrak that gave me a new ticket that shows me be re-accommodated on the bus-train combo up the valley to Martinez to catch up to 14.

More great pics of scenery usually in the dark! ☺ And a couple of AU friends joined you in Flagstaff IINM?

Since breakfast on #3 is usually an early quickie with a Limited Menu, did they offer longer hours and the full menu?

And missing Beautiful Union Station, Philippe and the new Metro Lounge and having to do the Inland Shuttle chasing the Starlight instead of kicking back in the PPC sucks!

It does suck. The bus leaves at 1:05 pm. I assume I can wait in the lounge anyway. I could dash down to Felipe's, but their line and crowds don't encourage me. In thinking getting a subway and eating it in the lounge.

I'm gradually getting pissed about the bus thing. The experience in the metropolitan lounge is a positive after an initial mini-hassle. Knowing that bus driver will probably resist looking at ticket on my phone, I asked person in lounge to print it. He said it wasn't necessary. I explained about buses and said I wanted it printed anyway. He then printed with know difficulty. He offered red cap service to bus area.

The lounge offers full cans of Pepsi and is air-conditioned. Clean and a hassle free bathroom.

Yup, that is the consist that is used for the first run of the day from EMY to BFD and the last run from BFD to EMY. Those cars are actually pretty nice, a job of refurbishing rather well done by Beech Grove. I did that RT several months back.

Actually these are not really Comet cars at all. These are so called Comarrows, They were originally Arrow I EMUs, which were taken out of commission, demotored and converted to trailer cars and renamed Comet 1B. They are neither Pullman nor Bombardier products and bear little resemblance to the classic Comets. Originally they are a product of the St. Louis Car Company. So you have not ridden anything that remotely resembles these cars in Chicago. The Horizon cars are essentially Bombardier Comet 2s, which are based on the Pullman Comet 1 design.

The cars are actually better than the horizons imho. Certainly newer. I'm curious about food service car which has not opened. The menu is unique to California.
Actually the car bodies are way older than the Horizons. They were built circa 1968-69! The running gears date back to when they were demotored and converted to Comet 1B from Arrow 1s. That happened circa 1986-88.

At one point 14 was an hour late at salinas. But it is gradually making up time. 717 is getting later because the engine keeps shutting down. Net result is hopefully a shorter layer over in Martinez.

I had the pretzel with cheese with a Pepsi. Later I had m&ms and Pepsi. I liked the pretzel. Menu is better than Midwest corridor trains.

14 was an hour late at salinas and has made up time since. It's currently at emy and U.S. 18 minutes late. A vast improvement over an hour. Once I'm on and have showered, which will happen before I go up to my room, I don't care what happens. I'll be sleeping.

The sca is not getting a tip. Never spoke or introduced himself.

The grill in the diner is not working. At least I am able to get French toast. Not sure what lunch will be like.

We have been stopped north of Dunsmuir for about 40 minutes. I haven't bothered to find out why.

Back