Southwest chief-chi-lax

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least I got my French toast and sausage. It was good. The delay is caused by a freight that has trapped us in a siding. It's stopped on the main line. Possibly an issue with an air hose and brakes. Looks like brakes is the theme of this trip.

The crew on 14 is mediocre at best. They Are well versed in saying no and being snippy but too snippy. The waitress in the diner made a point of scolding someone for not signing there check. She confused orders repeatedly, and left the bacon off of the angus burger with cheese. The ppc attendant couldn't manage to give somebody a glass of water so they could take pills. The person ended up going to the diner after the ppc attendant focused on trying to sell bottled water. Just an unpleasant demeanor in general.

The sca is not much better. Invisible. Though the shower was ready for use last night. He's not that friendly either. I suspect I'll be saving money on tips on the way back to lax.

Yep, looks like you'll get the same jerky crew on #11!

There's a couple of crews that work the Starlight that are duds, the rest are some of the best in Amtrak!

Too bad that passengers have to expierence such crummy service on what is supposed to be one of Amtrak's Showplace Trains! You'd think these Losers were trained in Chicago!

I'm not sure why, but there seem to be a number of less-experienced OBS crews on the CS this summer. Some people are off the extra board, and have not worked together much. Others are just not up to the high standards we are used to on that train. Let's hope the lapses in service are temporary.

I've experienced inconsistency on this route before. They are about typical by amtrak standards. Not enough to ruin a trip. Just minimalist which justifies minimal or no tip. I tipped at breakfast but not at lunch. If I get the same lady tomorrow she may be rested and more attentive.

The grill being out in the diner is problematic and that it limits selection. So far I've gotten my first choice which was French toast for breakfast and the Angus burger for lunch. I'm not sure how this affects dinner. I usually have the steak.

If the grill is out tomorrow and I'm not able to get steak, I will complain. These are things amtrak controls. Additionally, an issue with equipment that takes 90 minutes to fix in Chicago is also under their control. This issues put us out of our slot into abq which resulted in delays that caused the trip through Bakersfield. I don't like to be greedy, and I'll over look one or two issues, but this many on one trip is hard to overlook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back