Southwest Chief Derailed in KS 03/14 early AM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning Amtrak Status for 3 (15) did not show a service disruption, so I am hoping today's Chief will be back on the Raton Pass route. If not, I will have to engage in some negotiation with the conductors about where to pee a service dog between Newton and Albuquerque.
The only stop on the detour is usually just Amarillo for a crew change. I have personally witnessed them allowing a service dog off the train at that stop. No one else was allowed off. They usually stop at the BNSF depot.

If they derailed both the sleepers and dining car did remain standing upright and were right behind the engines, baggage car, and transition sleeper which you stated did not derail. I cannot verify but all photos and news reports I heard today said only the sightseer lounge and four coach cars derailed and SSL was leaning while the coaches were all on their sides.
I would not trust the news. The people who did not report the diner & sleepers having derailed probably were not aware that at least one wheel on each of those cars was off the rail. I imagine most people only think of derailment as being tipped over or on its side. Plus "on the ground" would make them think the on their side, not a wheel on the ground.
Just read a first hand account on FB (bolding by me)

I was on board. It occurred at 1204am just a mile from Cimarron, KS. I was in one of the 3 forward sleepers which left the rails but did not overturn. The pictures you see are of the sightseer lounge and 3 trailing coaches which did overturn.

It looks like the detour may be short lived... #4 is sitting in ABQ now, but shows as "On Time" for Lamy and all stations down the line

no_more_detour.png

EDIT(s) - Fixed spelling, corrected train number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed: Amtrak's "Track A Train" map shows 4(14) northeast of ABQ on the official route, as opposed to the detour route. They must have made quick work cleaning up the accident site.

According to the report the engineer noticed a "significant bend" in the tracks and applied the emergency brakes before derailing. On the other hand BNSF says that the tracks are inspected every two weeks. Could it be that heavy equipment bent the rails? A "significant" noticeable bend doesn't happen by itself and livestock couldn't do it. Makes me wonder.

According to the report the engineer noticed a "significant bend" in the tracks and applied the emergency brakes before derailing. On the other hand BNSF says that the tracks are inspected every two weeks. Could it be that heavy equipment bent the rails? A "significant" noticeable bend doesn't happen by itself and livestock couldn't do it. Makes me wonder.
Has the report of a motor vehicle accident already been discredited?

Cnn is reporting the NTSB has found a feed truck that stuck the rail and damaged it. They have the truck in their possession.

Mod note: removed content related to a deleted prior post that involved a non-Amtrak accident form January, 2015.

As for the damaged tracks in the SWC derailment, when did the feed truck hit and damage the rails? Did the operator of the truck make any attempt to contact the railroad? If not, and there was plenty of time to do so, the driver and/or owner/operator of the feed truck could be both criminal and civil liability issues.

They seem certain that this was the cause.
I'm surprised, given how cautious NTSB usually is, that they say "This is the vehicle that damaged the tracks."
It does seem premature considering it takes close to a year for the NTSB to release their official accident report findings. Any update concerning those two passengers who were critically injured?

They seem certain that this was the cause.
I'm surprised, given how cautious NTSB usually is, that they say "This is the vehicle that damaged the tracks."
It does seem premature considering it takes close to a year for the NTSB to release their official accident report findings. Any update concerning those two passengers who were critically injured?
Story I just read said the hospital refused to update their conditions today. Critical still as of late yesterday.

NTSB says the feed truck (at an unauthorized crossing?) did the damage:

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A truck used to deliver feed to a business where cattle are fattened hit a train track and shifted it at least a foot before an Amtrak train derailed in southwest Kansas and injured at least 32 people, an investigator said Tuesday.
National Transportation Safety Board member Earl Weener did not say if the feed truck was the cause of the Amtrak Southwest Chief's accident the day earlier.
But he said the impact of the truck from the Cimarron Crossing Feeders LLC shifted the train tracks 12 to 14 inches. The train was traveling 60 mph when the engineer applied the emergency brake, stopping 18 seconds later after traveling another 919 feet.
The full story can be found HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back