Southwest Chief derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Watching "Live" on CNN as a Passenger talks with the CNN Reporter via Phone.

It doesn't sound or look good, report of Injuries but No deaths so far!🤞🥺

One of the Conductors and somd Passengers are standing on the side of the overturned Cars.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
Last edited:

alpha3

Train Attendant
Once again.........something tries to beat or evade an approaching train, with disastrous consequences. But, I'm sure this is the train's fault.... :rolleyes:

Chris I

Service Attendant
Have there been any studies out there about propensity for flipping with single-level vs. bi-level cars? This seems to happen a lot with the bi-level Amtrak cars. It just seems to me that these trains should not be tipping over when derailing on a completely straight section of track.

joelkfla

Engineer

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Have there been any studies out there about propensity for flipping with single-level vs. bi-level cars? This seems to happen a lot with the bi-level Amtrak cars. It just seems to me that these trains should not be tipping over when derailing on a completely straight section of track.
Purely a guess on my part, but I wonder if large piece of the truck started the dominos effect.

Once again.........something tries to beat or evade an approaching train, with disastrous consequences. But, I'm sure this is the train's fault.... :rolleyes:
The term "derailment" out of context makes people think that trains just randomly derail. Something like this should be called what it is. Rail passengers were victims of Negligent (or Intentional) Homicide by Motor Vehicle?

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
"Amtrak said people who need immediate assistance with information about the train can call or text 1-800-USA-RAIL."

Amtrak's own statement gives a different number - 1-800-523-9101. Not sure why CNN is giving the USA-RAIL number when that wasn't even mentioned in the press release.

crescent-zephyr

Engineer
They are certainly more top heavy but in an accident like this there are so many forces at play it’s complicated. This train went from 90 to 0 with no telescoping and no structural issues.... that’s pretty amazing.

Cal

Engineer
With the SWC derailment, if the train goes to five-days-a-week what days will it probably depart? Can't remember where it was said previously on here.