Southwest Chief derailment (June 2022)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So here's what the NTSB says about the crash. I don't think anybody is too surprised.

https://apnews.com/article/missouri...ecoReel&utm_medium=articlePage&utm_id=Taboola

Poorly designed crossing contributed to fatal 2022 Missouri Amtrak derailment, officials say | AP News​

JOSH FUNK

Updated 3:25 PM MDT, August 2, 2023
A dump truck driver last year may have never seen an oncoming Amtrak train before it was too late, federal investigators concluded in a report, finding that a steep, poorly designed railroad crossing in rural Missouri contributed to last year’s fatal Amtrak derailment that killed four people and injured 146 others.
The National Transportation Safety Board said Wednesday that the 45-degree angle where the road crossed the tracks made it hard for the dump truck driver to see the approaching train, and the steep approach discouraged the truck driver from stopping beforehand.
“The safest rail grade crossing is no rail grade crossing. But at the very least, every road-rail intersection should have an adequate design to ensure proper visibility so drivers can see oncoming trains,” NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy said. “Communities across the country deserve safer crossings so these types of accidents don’t happen again.”

The NTSB said the dump truck driver ignored a stop sign before continuing through the crossing near Mendon at a speed of about 5 mph (8 kph). The train was only able to slow 2 mph to 87 mph (140 kph) after the crew saw the truck approaching and slammed on the brakes.

So here's what the NTSB says about the crash. I don't think anybody is too surprised.

https://apnews.com/article/missouri...ecoReel&utm_medium=articlePage&utm_id=Taboola

Poorly designed crossing contributed to fatal 2022 Missouri Amtrak derailment, officials say | AP News​

JOSH FUNK

Updated 3:25 PM MDT, August 2, 2023
A dump truck driver last year may have never seen an oncoming Amtrak train before it was too late, federal investigators concluded in a report, finding that a steep, poorly designed railroad crossing in rural Missouri contributed to last year’s fatal Amtrak derailment that killed four people and injured 146 others.
The National Transportation Safety Board said Wednesday that the 45-degree angle where the road crossed the tracks made it hard for the dump truck driver to see the approaching train, and the steep approach discouraged the truck driver from stopping beforehand.
“The safest rail grade crossing is no rail grade crossing. But at the very least, every road-rail intersection should have an adequate design to ensure proper visibility so drivers can see oncoming trains,” NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy said. “Communities across the country deserve safer crossings so these types of accidents don’t happen again.”

The NTSB said the dump truck driver ignored a stop sign before continuing through the crossing near Mendon at a speed of about 5 mph (8 kph). The train was only able to slow 2 mph to 87 mph (140 kph) after the crew saw the truck approaching and slammed on the brakes.
Since Amtrak did not design or construct the crossing, has it been absolved of any responsibility and/or financial liability for this accident?

Since Amtrak did not design or construct the crossing, has it been absolved of any responsibility and/or financial liability for this accident?
Amtrak's contracts with host railroads completely indemnify the railroads, regardless of fault. The county or whoever was responsible for installing and maintaining that crossing may wind up being on the hook for something here. Amtrak's indemnification likely doesn't extend to them.

Drivers at any crossing but especially one like that should be extremely wary and trains should have plenty of extra advance horn-blowing at such crossings. Today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch has a front-page article about $50 million being allocated by Missouri to improve crossing safety, and the articles mentions that some crossings will be completely closed off, including the one where this accident occurred.

Yes the local county is closing this at grade crossing and working to improve or at least consolidate the numbers of at grade crossing.

Hats off to them, too bad this was not on their radar into after the accident. The extremely steep approach was a factor, the railroad is notorious for dump ballast and raises the tracks height, but it’s not the railroad that has to feather out the approach to the crossing. Never helps that a sleepy crossing gets busy for a construction project, or a tree harvest like this one did.

thought I posted this but Missouri Gov has approved a 18.5 million dollar funding which will close I believe it is 16 crossings including the one involved in the accident

I hope they do a robust impact study on the grade crossing closures.

I thought I posted this but Missouri Gov has approved a 18.5 million dollar funding which will close I believe it is 16 crossings including the one involved in the accident and it will add lights and crossing arms to 27 more mainly on routes covered by the SW Chief, Texas Eagle and the StL- KC trains
How difficult is it to close a crossing? I guess any plan like this brings NIMBYs out of the woodwork because they see their fundamental freedoms threatened by having to take a detour of a few minutes, and will threatens to entangle the project in years of red tape while a dangerous situation persists.

How difficult is it to close a crossing? I guess any plan like this brings NIMBYs out of the woodwork because they see their fundamental freedoms threatened by having to take a detour of a few minutes, and will threatens to entangle the project in years of red tape while a dangerous situation persists.
Closing a crossing can have both negative and positive benefits for those in the proximity...hopefully they balance out.

In some cases the road pre-dates the construction of the railroad. In other cases, especially in the 19th Century, I believe that railroads sometimes agreed to maintain and allow private crossings as part of the negotiation for being allowed to cross a farmer's land, etc. Probably some of these private crossings have been discontinued as a result of subsequent negotiations.

I hope they do a robust impact study on the grade crossing closures.
This makes no sense. The road in question is a N - S road on a 45 degree angle to BNSF. About 1 mile further east there is an E-W identical crossing that has to remain as it will the only access to the area NW of BNSF. Also a 45 degree crossing steep approaches. Same identical construction. Or is the state going to change that crossing to make its approaches level?

Back