Southwest Chief discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Took it over the summer and it was amazing. I spent about 90% of the time in the vestibule enjoying the open air and train sounds.
One neat feature that isn't advertised is that when the D&RGW management was trying to kill it, the employees banded together to promote the service. Amos Cordoba apparently led that effort; I joined him for his meeting with Silverton business leaders in late September 2001 and I could see that they had a lot of respect for him. Of course, he went to the meeting by train.

120_20k.JPG

I'll be in a sleeper on the westbound Chief traveling in June from Flagstaff to L.A. with a scheduled departure of 8:38 pm. Assuming a slight delay, do they serve dinner past 9 pm?

I'll be in a sleeper on the westbound Chief traveling in June from Flagstaff to L.A. with a scheduled departure of 8:38 pm. Assuming a slight delay, do they serve dinner past 9 pm?
You could talk with the agent at Flagstaff and see what the procedure is or call the 800 number. I cannot recall off hand what the meal entitlement hours are. If the train is running late I would tend to err on the side of caution and eat in town before boarding. The Lumberyard Brewing company across the tracks from the station would be a good choice (but for safety don't cross the tracks. Use the street crossing instead. )

Hello, can someone remind where car 0430 is on the SW Chief? Since the Chief now runs only two sleepers (with no trans-dorm), I wasn't sure.

Is it next to the Diner?
Or, is it right behind the engines?

It's Amtrak #3 which is westbound Southwest Chief. #30 is the car location number. I don't have the detail with the last 2 numbers specifically. I think 3 is sleeper and 0 is car number from diner car. Others will chime in.

For our trip to WLO and return in late May we booked 11 months out on the SWC,; have the 330 sleeper going West and the 430 sleeper going East. We just hope that with some cancellations of late we are in the primary sleeper. Can anyone confirm?

I just checked the Amtrak Status Map and noted that a SWC 3 and a SWC 4 are indicated as 1003 and 1004, while two other SWC trains have their regular numbers. Does anyone know what this means?
Did you notice that there were other trains with 10xx?
This happens every year when the clocks are changed. At some point during their journey there would be two 3’s (or other train) arriving at a station twice on the same date. Arrow can’t handle this, hence the prefix.

Did you notice that there were other trains with 10xx?
This happens every year when the clocks are changed. At some point during their journey there would be two 3’s (or other train) arriving at a station twice on the same date. Arrow can’t handle this, hence the prefix.
At the stations do they still announce it as #3 and #4?

The Chief has a disruption due to a washout in Arizona near the California border (between Kingman and Needles). Last night's trains terminated at Winslow (#3) and Barstow (#4). Today's #3 will terminate in Albuquerque, and become tomorrow's #4.

BNSF is expecting to get one track open tomorrow.

The Chief has a disruption due to a washout in Arizona near the California border (between Kingman and Needles). Last night's trains terminated at Winslow (#3) and Barstow (#4). Today's #3 will terminate in Albuquerque, and become tomorrow's #4.

BNSF is expecting to get one track open tomorrow.
Isn't there a freight derailment also?

This morning's #4(17) arrived in Kingman, AZ 2 hours behind it's normál 1.25am departure time. On the railcam, you could see a bunch of people boarding a coach car; having slept myself in coach on a number of occasions, those folks were looking to cozy into those cozy wide seats, complete with foot rest and leg support. Unfortunately the last 5 or 6 had to move to the SSL - standing room only. They had to be frustrated - some folks can sleep anywhere, even in the seats in the lounge.. but not everyone!
Can someone please explain how this can happen? As far as I knew, you need a reservation to board an Amtrak LD train.. and one would hope the computer system can tell if enough seats will be available at each particular stop...(i.e. it "knows" when passengers with reservations are getting on and off.)

This morning's #4(17) arrived in Kingman, AZ 2 hours behind it's normál 1.25am departure time. On the railcam, you could see a bunch of people boarding a coach car; having slept myself in coach on a number of occasions, those folks were looking to cozy into those cozy wide seats, complete with foot rest and leg support. Unfortunately the last 5 or 6 had to move to the SSL - standing room only. They had to be frustrated - some folks can sleep anywhere, even in the seats in the lounge.. but not everyone!
Can someone please explain how this can happen? As far as I knew, you need a reservation to board an Amtrak LD train.. and one would hope the computer system can tell if enough seats will be available at each particular stop...(i.e. it "knows" when passengers with reservations are getting on and off.)
I didn't see anyone boarding the SSL. I did see some bring their luggage to the bag/coach for storage in the baggage room. This was the car behind the coach car that everyone was boarding.
And how would you know it was standing room only by watching the video?

I didn't see anyone boarding the SSL. I did see some bring their luggage to the bag/coach for storage in the baggage room. This was the car behind the coach car that everyone was boarding.
The audio which runs in connection with the video includes a radio conversation presumably between the conductor and a crewman indicating that the train is SRO and that he (presumably the conductor) is sending people to the lounge car.

The person above answered the question. as how I knew they were SRO, but I still would like to know how this situation can come about when they have a reservation system.. do they intentionally overbook like the airlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back