Southwest Chief LAX-CHI 7/12-14/202

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Storms, highs winds and high heat warnings slowing down train speed. Also failing old signals.

Yup, when I woke up on day 3 they advised we had been held up for 2 hours due to high winds. We also had delays due to getting stuck behind freight trains, waiting on track crews to clear us, a navigation app going down in the engine and a bridge being open to allow a barge to get through.

Final update:

IMG_1608.jpg
Pulling out of KC I spied this guy - this was my attitude on the train, just along for the ride!

IMG_1622.jpg
Lunch (shrimp in lobster sauce again) was served early even though we were running late...not sure why. They were also out of salads for some reason...I guess someone mathed incorrectly?

IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
Small towns passed by as we moved ever closer to CHI and it seemed like we lost time at every point despite the crew's attempts to make up time. Station stops were nice and short but alas we slipped from 2 hours late to 3.

IMG_1649.jpg
Pulling into CHI I enjoyed seeing all the infrastructure, I haven't spent much time in the city or the station. I ended up missing the flight I'd booked by just a couple minutes as American moved me to an earlier one and between that and a poor Lyft experience. I ended up staying at the Super 8 by the airport (surprisingly nice with a shuttle that ran to the airport AND the train station) and catching an early flight out the next morning no worse for wear.

Overall I really enjoyed the trip. Was it perfect? Obviously not, but thanks to the other trip reports I'd read I was well prepared and comfortable. I feel like a relaxed attitude is imperative as the crew appears to be doing their best to make the most of a mediocre situation. After all I'm glad to have taken the trip and am looking forward to the Coast Starlight trip we have booked in a few months.

Final update:

View attachment 18131
Pulling out of KC I spied this guy - this was my attitude on the train, just along for the ride!

View attachment 18132
Lunch (shrimp in lobster sauce again) was served early even though we were running late...not sure why. They were also out of salads for some reason...I guess someone mathed incorrectly?

View attachment 18133
View attachment 18134
Small towns passed by as we moved ever closer to CHI and it seemed like we lost time at every point despite the crew's attempts to make up time. Station stops were nice and short but alas we slipped from 2 hours late to 3.

View attachment 18135
Pulling into CHI I enjoyed seeing all the infrastructure, I haven't spent much time in the city or the station. I ended up missing the flight I'd booked by just a couple minutes as American moved me to an earlier one and between that and a poor Lyft experience. I ended up staying at the Super 8 by the airport (surprisingly nice with a shuttle that ran to the airport AND the train station) and catching an early flight out the next morning no worse for wear.

Overall I really enjoyed the trip. Was it perfect? Obviously not, but thanks to the other trip reports I'd read I was well prepared and comfortable. I feel like a relaxed attitude is imperative as the crew appears to be doing their best to make the most of a mediocre situation. After all I'm glad to have taken the trip and am looking forward to the Coast Starlight trip we have booked in a few months.

Did the airline charge you a penalty for the missed flight?

Personal experience with temperature on the Superliners has not been good... when it warms up one can get really hot and then they must 'override' the system. The downstairs rooms get the bulk of the heat for some reason... I have experienced temperatures in the 80's and with no window to open it becomes quite unpleasant. When the heater is on in any small enclosed space the heat tends to build up to beyond where it is comfortable. I have found time and again the temperature controls just don't work on the superliners. But, the temp controls on the viewliners do work and I find them much more comfortable.

I've experienced too much heat in winter.

Pulling into CHI I enjoyed seeing all the infrastructure, I haven't spent much time in the city or the station.

Like you, I enjoy watching the trip into or out of a major Amtrak city. Seeing the infrastructure that exists for rail service always is interesting to me. I particularly enjoy the views coming into Washington Union Station from the North and then leaving, going North. I have made Metro trips into and out of D.C. purposely for that reason.

Back