Southwest Chief Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jannie

Train Attendant
Have a sleeper reservation: Leaving out at 6:40 p.m. is that past the supper hour as far as the diner serving?

Arrival Time?? Should I plan on the train 'probably' not arriving on time to ABQ, Albuqure (sp) NM (if that's the case -- are there hotels nearby so I could pick up my rental car the next day? Most rental car places seem to close around 5 or 6 p.m. unless at an airport..

You’ll get dinner - your car attendant will probably already have a Rez for you when you board

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I've had a dinner reservation as late as 7:30 PM.

There are several good hotels not far from the station (see Google maps), and cabs and I'm sure Uber and/or Lyft. I've gotten there close to on time and I've gotten there late. You're more likely to be on time to ABQ if you're going eastbound but it sounds like you're going westbound? If it were me I'd get a hotel reservation and get the car the next day. But check the hotel cancellation policies, maybe you can do that if the train gets there in time to rent a car

Ya. I was guessing the OP is westbound, boarding at Ft. Madison, IA - 6:42 departure - and arrives ABQ about 4 pm the next afternoon if it's on-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ideas - glad there's dinner :)

Yes, West bound - good idea about the hotel -- seem to be cutting it really close about the rental car even if only a 1/2 hour late then getting taxi to rental agency. Will definately look at that option closer.

I have no personal experience with ABQ, but in previous threads it has been mentioned that a few of the nearby companies (Enterprise and Hertz) might be able to arrange transferring a reservation to the airport if you called them in advance that you were running late. I don't know if this is still feasible, but it is certainly worth a phone call direct to the respective office (not central reservations)

We had a great time at the hotel Andaluz, a short walk from the station. It's the original Conrad Hilton hotel where he started his chain. He proposed to his future bride, Zsa Zsa Gabor in the restaurant - still there. We like to recover from our Amtrak trip before heading out on the next leg of a trip so I agree with the recommendation to spend the night. Nothing worse than worrying about a late train that might affect your travel plans. It's a great part of the country, so different from our southeastern home.

We have stayed at the Hotel Anduluz and it is very nice and an interesting place with lots of E-items and philosophy throughout the building. It can be reasonably priced but we found it very expensive for our upcoming trip during Balloonfiesta. Close to station..walkable and some restaurants nearby. A Subway is on the street behind the hotel for a healthy breakfast. Lobby is fantastic. You would think you are in Spain.

I third the recommendation for Hotel Andaluz. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the interior is gorgeous.

If you're up high enough and facing the right way, you'll enjoy a beautiful view of the Sandia Mountains. I'm sure the front desk could arrange that if you ask upon check-in and rooms in that section are available.

Back