Southwest Chief Superliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliann95

Train Attendant
Just upgraded our reservation from coach to. Bedroom! Super excited. But a few questions.

Do they come with pillows?? I thought I read somewhere they got rid of this?

We are in room E. we're going from Chicago to Flaggstaff. Will the couch in this room be riding backwards???

Any tips/advice?? I was fully prepared to ride in coach the entire trip, but saw the bedroom price go down to $631 and decided having our meals and own bathroom as worth the price.

Only in coach did they get rid of the pillows and they were not much to write home about anyway, small and not very firm. Your bedroom will be quite comfortable with top and bottom sheets, a blanket and a nice size pillow for each bunk. If you have electric gadgets, bring an extension cord with extra outlets on the end, only two plugs in the room and they don't always both work.

BN

Nice get, you'll be spoiled once you've experienced a Bedroom on a Train! And Bedroom is E is the good one next to the stairs and coffee pot/juice and the ice and only has another room on one side! (D)

I could see the bedrooms as advantageous over roomettes due to having toilet facilities in room, but really...other than that - what's the attraction that often adds $1,000 to the price of a roomette? Perhaps it's because I am so short and "fit" so well into a roomette, I don't know... Simply seems like a WHOLE lot of extra expense to not have to share a bathroom. I've traveled LD on Amtrak 3 times, and never once did I feel the restrooms were *icky*....If you don't like one, go downstairs to a different one! I understand the convenience of having the toilet reserved "just for you" in a bedroom, but with the price gouging I see this summer, NO WAY would I upgrade to a bedroom just to have my own private toilet. Geez, get over it! Take Lysol wipes in each time, if you feel stongly about it...but honestly- I wouldn't trust the *cleanliness* of one's bedroom's toilet over the rest...not in a million years. Never ever had an issue with the toilets on the CZ, the SWC, or the EB....but maybe i've just been lucky. If there are *2* of you....i thoroughly understand a bedroom. For a single, and especially a very short, malleable single.....Roomettes are awesome. More room than I could ever really need. Weighing in at 110 pounds, at 5 ft. 1, you could fit 2 of me in the lower bunk! The coffee/juice/etc. are still just a short walk away in Roomettes. But I know the Bedrooms are better for couples who want more freedom and perhaps need more room than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I prefer the bedroom simply because we are on "different" schedules. When a roomette is made up for sleeping, there's not much else you can do! In a bedroom, I can stay up, look out the window (yea, I know, its dark), listen to my scanner and watch the GPS. I may even have another drink or two. If I was travelling on my own, a roomette would probably suffice.

I can see a lot of advantages to a couple in a bedroom. For me, as a single, a roomette works absolutely perfectly to my needs.

My wife and I prefer the bedroom simply because we are on "different" schedules. When a roomette is made up for sleeping, there's not much else you can do! In a bedroom, I can stay up, look out the window (yea, I know, its dark), listen to my scanner and watch the GPS. I may even have another drink or two. If I was travelling on my own, a roomette would probably suffice.
I find it hard for two people to keep different schedules in a bedroom. For the same price you can get two roomettes. If you get them across the hall from each other, you can move from one side to the other during the day to get a better view. At night, you each get a lower bunk. Plus, it's a whole lot easier if you're on different schedules.

I prefer the Superliner bedroom to the roomette even for one (my wife is not enthusiastic about overnight train travel, so one it is). Besides the in-room toilet (handy for those middle of the night needs), the wash basin is also nice, as is the ability to look out both sides of the train. In addition, the lower bunk can be made up for sleeping with the chair and table still usable for sitting. That permits the attendant to make up the room anytime after dinner and then I can stay up as late as I want using the chair to sit. The same is true in the morning. As long as the attendant shows up sometime to reset the room, I'm fine.

The extra cost for the bedroom is an issue if you are paying cash, but for an AGR redemption, the extra cost in points is not as big a deal. Now that comes from someone who generally only makes one overnight trip a year and can accumulate the needed points by using the AGR credit card, so YMMV.

When I travel alone, I like the roomette, but if I'm traveling with my wife, we always get a bedroom

for the extra space and bathroom. I prefer the public shower because it is larger than the in-room

shower. We often keep different schedules, therefore my wife takes the upper bunk and I keep the

lower seat in tact and I'm able to sleep there and still have floor room to move about the cabin.

Only in coach did they get rid of the pillows and they were not much to write home about anyway, small and not very firm. Your bedroom will be quite comfortable with top and bottom sheets, a blanket and a nice size pillow for each bunk. If you have electric gadgets, bring an extension cord with extra outlets on the end, only two plugs in the room and they don't always both work.

BN
Two pillows per bunk - at least in the trips we took on the SL.

I'm a fan of the bedroom, even when travelling solo. Something very satisfying about being able to stretch out across the couch, propped up on pillows to read. Roomettes are fine, but that couch with all the room, is, in my opinion, very much worth it when I can.

I am super excited, as is my 7 year old. I was fully ready to ride in coach the entire way and had all my lists prepared for that. Now I'm frantically figuring out what different to pack! Glad I won't have to lug 4 meals in a cooler with me anymore!

Looked at this room price today and it went up to $1262! Double what I found it for yesterday,

Just upgraded our reservation from coach to. Bedroom! Super excited. But a few questions.

We are in room E. we're going from Chicago to Flaggstaff. Will the couch in this room be riding backwards???

Any tips/advice?? I was fully prepared to ride in coach the entire trip, but saw the bedroom price go down to $631 and decided having our meals and own bathroom as worth the price.
We were in bedroom E on the Sunset Limited. I like E since we only have people on one side of us. Here are some pictures of the bedroom I took. The detailed pictures are of bedroom C since my parents were in E and C was empty.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/sets/72157640159976306/

We were in bedroom E on the Sunset Limited. I like E since we only have people on one side of us. Here are some pictures of the bedroom I took. The detailed pictures are of bedroom C since my parents were in E and C was empty.

Those are great pictures! We're traveling in a bedroom for the first time this fall, and I've been trying to find some good photos. Those help a lot. Thanks!

This spring we spent two nights on the CZ & CS from Denver to Seattle. Mom and Dad got the Bedroom, and the teenager had her own Roomette to herself. It was my first ride in a Bedroom, so it set a new standard of luxury for me. There was room for three (or four) of us to sit together, and rooms to be apart. If you have any little hint of claustrophobia, the Bedroom is your friend. That tiny water closet, not so much. And if your claustrophobia is as strong as mine, the low-ceilinged, coffin-llke upper bunk is a real challenge. I couldn't sleep up there -- I tried -- but my wife and I could fit comfortably on the lower bunk, when arranged north to south.

Good luck gave us forward-facing sofas on booth trains, but we usually sat facing each other beside the window, so one of us was facing backwards anyhow. The jump seat facing the sofa isn't bad. You might get a remodeled Superliner interior, with retro-deco styled sink and mirror, or the original, shared-off '80's style, but that won't affect your comfort. The older sleeper on the Starlight was a much better ride, mostly because the AC was set 15 degrees cooler. Sorry to say, but the CZ sleeper was a stuffy sweat lodge, with only a wheeze of air from the ceiling vent. I brought a 4-inch battery fan, but that wasn't nearly enough. I had to take several cool showers to get through the night, so I guess that in-room shower really was handy!

Big or small, Amtrak bedrooms are the essential amenity. The value of a quiet night's sleep is obvious, and knowing that you will get a fair chance to do that is very reassuring. The long days go faster when you have a choice of three places, lounge, diner, or room, to spend your time. And so we burned through three years worth of credit card points in three days--but there was no better way I would have spent them. The face value was about $350, but I bought closer to $300 worth of travel for them.

This spring we spent two nights on the CZ & CS from Denver to Seattle. Mom and Dad got the Bedroom, and the teenager had her own Roomette to herself. It was my first ride in a Bedroom, so it set a new standard of luxury for me. There was room for three (or four) of us to sit together, and rooms to be apart. If you have any little hint of claustrophobia, the Bedroom is your friend. That tiny water closet, not so much. And if your claustrophobia is as strong as mine, the low-ceilinged, coffin-llke upper bunk is a real challenge. I couldn't sleep up there -- I tried -- but my wife and I could fit comfortably on the lower bunk, when arranged north to south.

Good luck gave us forward-facing sofas on booth trains, but we usually sat facing each other beside the window, so one of us was facing backwards anyhow. The jump seat facing the sofa isn't bad. You might get a remodeled Superliner interior, with retro-deco styled sink and mirror, or the original, shared-off '80's style, but that won't affect your comfort. The older sleeper on the Starlight was a much better ride, mostly because the AC was set 15 degrees cooler. Sorry to say, but the CZ sleeper was a stuffy sweat lodge, with only a wheeze of air from the ceiling vent. I brought a 4-inch battery fan, but that wasn't nearly enough. I had to take several cool showers to get through the night, so I guess that in-room shower really was handy!

Big or small, Amtrak bedrooms are the essential amenity. The value of a quiet night's sleep is obvious, and knowing that you will get a fair chance to do that is very reassuring. The long days go faster when you have a choice of three places, lounge, diner, or room, to spend your time. And so we burned through three years worth of credit card points in three days--but there was no better way I would have spent them. The face value was about $350, but I bought closer to $300 worth of travel for them.

Where's the Edit button?

I meant to say "...bought closer to $3000 worth..."

Those are great pictures! We're traveling in a bedroom for the first time this fall, and I've been trying to find some good photos. Those help a lot. Thanks!
I had the same problem before our trip on the Sunset Limited. It was my goal to take as many pictures as possible to inform others who have the same questions that I had. I actually found pictures posted by FrensicPic on flicr that gave me some good ideas of the Superliner Bedrooms.

I had the same problem before our trip on the Sunset Limited. It was my goal to take as many pictures as possible to inform others who have the same questions that I had. I actually found pictures posted by FrensicPic on flicr that gave me some good ideas of the Superliner Bedrooms.
If you're looking for photos of Amtrak Bedrooms and other Superliner rooms, I really like these 360 tours. They can be wonky on some browsers, but they seem to work fine in Chrome.

Here's a (refurbished) bedroom:http://www.360cities.net/image/amtrak-sleeping-car-bedroom-southwest-chief-superliner-1-refurbished#576.13,-13.26,80.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back