Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zepherdude

OBS Chief
For Years I have been a member of a Yahoo Group called "Southwest Chief". This has been more of a coalition group for increase service from Dallas to Oklahoma City. Very political and of no interest to me. Since the mention of Amtrak budget cuts, this panel has been alive with postings about the Chief being #1 on the hit list by Amtrak. Readers I have never heard of are writing in speaking of the Chief and how BNSF does not want Amtrak on its main line and how route changes will happen by 2015. To give some idea of traffic, I average 3-5 E-Mails daily. I used to wonder why I was getting this communication until I realized what the group was. The moderator is Evan Stair, Passenger Rail Coalition, Oklahoma.

Has anyone here picked up on the potential loss of this service? According to this group, this is being discussed opening by Amtrak and not a secret. The service would go away like the eastern half of the Sunset Limited and not come back, pending further study. This is pending further budget negotiations and other ways to get funding. The discussion is much to involved to bring here as these guys are serious as can be and seem into the loop. But, everyone in the world is a loop member, so I pass this on, wondering if anyone has heard of this potential loss of a long distance route.

It is the other way around. BNSF definitely does want Amtrak on the main line, so that the Southwest Chief would be trading in Hutchinson and Trinidad for Amarillo and Wichita, so to speak. However, the Chief is NOT the #1 choice on routes to go. This train is almost always sold out, and still would be even if there were more capacity added. What I don't understand about this is why an advocacy group for passenger service from Dallas to Oklahoma is called the Southwest Chief.

IINM, this refers to the rumoured switch of the Chief from the current Route in Western Kansas/Eastern Colorado/Raton Pass to the Southern Transcon through Amarillo! Since the State of New Mexico welched on the deal with BNSF to buy the Raton Pass Route, BNSF has basically told Amtrak that they will not maintain the current tracks since they dont run freight there, the amount supposedly is something like $75 million!!! :eek: Most people on here seem to think that this WILL happen, fairly soon, for sure Amtrak doesnt have the money to Maintain the current route for two Trains a day, and since the switch to a anti-rail Administration in New Mexico, they wont be putting up any money either!Supposedly BNSF is amiable to Amtrak running on the Southern Transcon, thats the Detour Route for the Chief when the Raton Route is shut down! Say goodbye to Raton Pass, hello to Amarillo,Texas and miles and miles of miles through Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle! :rolleyes:

And the Sunset Ltd. would be the Train shutdown if push came to shove!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the SWC three times this year and the train (sleeper cars) were

nearly full each time. I thought it had one of the better ontime performances

of the long distance trains. I would think the Texas Eagle running three times

per week would be a more likely candidate to be discontinued.

"....and since the switch to a anti-rail Administration in New Mexico, they wont be putting up any money either!"
Our last election for Governor of New Mexico put a Republican in office (Susana Martinez.) and getting funding is like getting blood from a stone.

I wouldn't write off Raton Pass just yet; seems local communities may try to help to save things.
Always good to see people get involved in Rail Activities but in all honesty 94 Million Dollars for Track Work plus $10-$11 Million a year :eek: for Two Trains a day is not gonna happen without funding from Washington! The states of New Mexico, Colorado and Kansas mostly elect conservative Republicans, and I just cant see the states putting up this kind of money! We know that Congress isnt going to give it to Amtrak anytime soon, unless the Democrats take back control of Congress in the 2012 elections, and this is very unlikely with the Economy in the toliet, and the Big Lie Machine already in Gear! Say goodnight Gracie, hello to Amarillo in 2015 when the contract expires!

I do hope Im wrong, but I'm from Missouri when it comes to Washington where I spent most of my life watching the Weasels in action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back