Southwest Chief's On Time Performance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the FOLLOW-UP on the timings of the Southwest Chief on our recent trip:

We returned last evening form our GRR-CHI-LAX-CHI-GRR trip. I am happy to say everything went fine and according to plan.

The GRR-CHI leg was on time both for departing and arriving.

The Chicago Metropolitan Lounge was a comfortable place to relax, do computer work, and snack. I'd even say go early so you can enjoy it. We waited about 5 hrs for the SW Chief but it was nearly as comfortable as being at home.

We were able to get off one stop before LAX--in Fullerton Our excellent SCA (Richard) said Totally Fine! It was about 30 minutes behind schedule into Fullerton. The train hit a horse we were told somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico and there was a 15 min stop to check the train after that. There were maybe a few very brief stops on the trip due to freight traffic.

On our return from LAX when we arrived at the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles I asked the very friendly attendant to link our return reservations to GRR in case we missed our GRR connection. (I waited until she had time to address it--in Chicago the ticket agents were always busy so I decided to wait until LA.) She did by adding a note on our reservations on her computer. She actually showed me what she wrote on her computer, so that was an extra measure of trip protection.

No need to worry though as we arrived in CHI just 28 minutes late (some occasional freight traffic). We had about a 3 hour wait back again in the CHI Metropolitan Lounge. But very comfortable and enjoyable.

And our final trip from CHI-GRR was on time leaving and arriving in Grand Rapids.

Wonderful timing the entire trip!! Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!

* Also want to add the dining car was open and the food was consistently DELICIOUS. And we didn't have to wear masks in when in our rooms in the sleepers. They didn't announce that overhead but the SCA's both ways said it was fine not to wear in our rooms when they came around to our bedroom to greet us (Masks were required everywhere else they said.)

Last edited:
And the FOLLOW-UP on the timings of the Southwest Chief on our recent trip:

We returned last evening form our GRR-CHI-LAX-CHI-GRR trip. I am happy to say everything went fine and according to plan.

The GRR-CHI leg was on time both for departing and arriving.

The Chicago Metropolitan Lounge was a comfortable place to relax, do computer work, and snack. I'd even say go early so you can enjoy it. We waited about 5 hrs for the SW Chief but it was nearly as comfortable as being at home.

We were able to get off one stop before LAX--in Fullerton Our excellent SCA (Richard) said Totally Fine! It was about 30 minutes behind schedule into Fullerton. The train hit a horse we were told somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico and there was a 15 min stop to check the train after that. There were maybe a few very brief stops on the trip due to freight traffic.

On our return from LAX when we arrived at the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles I asked the very friendly attendant to link our return reservations to GRR in case we missed our GRR connection. (I waited until she had time to address it--in Chicago the ticket agents were always busy so I decided to wait until LA.) She did by adding a note on our reservations on her computer. She actually showed me what she wrote on her computer, so that was an extra measure of trip protection.

No need to worry though as we arrived in CHI just 28 minutes late (some occasional freight traffic). We had about a 3 hour wait back again in the CHI Metropolitan Lounge. But very comfortable and enjoyable.

And our final trip from CHI-GRR was on time leaving and arriving in Grand Rapids.

Wonderful timing the entire trip!! Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!

* Also want to add the dining car was open and the food was consistently DELICIOUS. And we didn't have to wear masks in when in our rooms in the sleepers. They didn't announce that overhead but the SCA's both ways said it was fine not to wear in our rooms when they came around to our bedroom to greet us (Masks were required everywhere else they said.)
I’m glad you enjoyed. Richard was my SCA two months ago, he was great.

And be sure to be really nice up front: "I hate to bother you but I wonder if you could ..." or "Looks like you've been busy. Do you have a moment to ....". I find that puts the agent in a good mood to go out of the way to be helpful.
This is such good advice for dealing with any customer-facing staff of any business. Catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say...

I live in the STL area and like the idea of taking the Chief to Albuquerque or Flagstaff some day. So I could take the 4:29-9:40p River Runner from Kirkwood to Kansas City and catch the Chief at 10:42p, which is nice and efficient, as long as the River Runner doesn't run late (which it sometimes does). I assume that's not a guaranteed connection?

Maybe if you book it that way, but one hour is pretty close timing.

Still, if one is late it might be the SWC.

I'm not sure what the on time data is. I hope you could make it.
As it is the SWC should arrive KCY at 10pm and depart 1042pm, exactly an hour after the Missouri train should arrive. I don't know if Amtrak will guarantee that connection. No doubt 800 Amtrak could answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back