Special announcement from Amtrak this weekend?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, see you all next time
And most likely AU would probably know about the return of traditional dining in the east before the Amtrak social media department lol.

to be fair, there has been some chatter of the return of traditional dining in the east.

Certainly not in time for this announcement, but it’s definitely on the radar in some form.

Has anyone tried booking with the C240 discount code to take advantage of this?

I tried a couple dummy bookings, going as far as the payment screen, but didn't have any luck.

The routes, stops, and dates I tried all fit within the terms. On desktop, it says the code isn't valid at all. On mobile/app, it shows the code as valid, but doesn't actually discount anything.

Anyone have any luck? If so, mind sharing the city pair and date you used so I can see what it looks like?

Has anyone tried booking with the C240 discount code to take advantage of this?

I tried a couple dummy bookings, going as far as the payment screen, but didn't have any luck.

The routes, stops, and dates I tried all fit within the terms. On desktop, it says the code isn't valid at all. On mobile/app, it shows the code as valid, but doesn't actually discount anything.

Anyone have any luck? If so, mind sharing the city pair and date you used so I can see what it looks like?
Did you read all the terms & conditions?

Did you read all the terms & conditions?

I certainly think so. As an example, one search I tried, just to test, was from:

NYP > NWK (Which fits in the area allowable under the T&C)
January 25th (Which fits in the date range allowable under the T&C)
On the NER (Which is fine under the T&C)

On the desktop site, putting c240 returns "Coupon Code Not Valid" - With 2 passengers listed.
On the app, it takes the code, but doesn't change the final price.

Tried a couple other city pairs too, just to test and see if maybe there was a blackout around something I was trying.

Another NEC only deal. Other LD trains - forget it!

But we still only have frozen dinners and flexible brownies/blondies for our meals out here.😁

Also, to make you feel better, notice that the “deals” are the cheapest things they can get away with. It would be a better deal if it were BOGO in NEC Business Class or Acela First Class.

I certainly think so. As an example, one search I tried, just to test, was from:

NYP > NWK (Which fits in the area allowable under the T&C)
January 25th (Which fits in the date range allowable under the T&C)
On the NER (Which is fine under the T&C)

On the desktop site, putting c240 returns "Coupon Code Not Valid" - With 2 passengers listed.
On the app, it takes the code, but doesn't change the final price.

Tried a couple other city pairs too, just to test and see if maybe there was a blackout around something I was trying.
Try using the link here to access the search for the sale prices: Buy One Ticket, Bring a Friend for Free for Northeast Travel | Amtrak
Be aware it only applies to Value and Flexible fares, not Saver fares. The T&Cs also state the sale prices are not available on all trains at all times, so I assume that means as the trains fill up, fewer seats are available in the fares allocated to the sale.

Try using the link here to access the search for the sale prices: Buy One Ticket, Bring a Friend for Free for Northeast Travel | Amtrak
Be aware it only applies to Value and Flexible fares, not Saver fares. The T&Cs also state the sale prices are not available on all trains at all times, so I assume that means as the trains fill up, fewer seats are available in the fares allocated to the sale.

Thanks, tried that link as well, but no luck. When I put "C240" (or c240) into the promo code box, it says it's not valid, and won't even let me click to the next screen to see prices and fare types.

I suppose it could be full promotion seats or a blackout, but I've tried a couple of different city pairs across a few different dates.

Disgusting is my opinion. Black Friday or Cyber weekend is for all intents and purposes a National holiday or at least a National event. Amtrak management decides to only throw a bone to customers of their beloved NEC.

Granted the network trains are very well patronized with the short consists but there’s still no reason they couldn’t announce the off season sale at the same time as the NEC especially since they stired up all this hype and anticipation.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who had higher hopes, but I think people read way too much into the photos that were chosen for this social media posting. They do a BOGO sale every year this time of year - that was my automatic assumption when I saw the teaser. There has been absolutely no information coming out to indicate anything related to dining cars in the east / if that was what the announcement was we’d all know by now because RPA would have been told and it would have been released to employees and there’d be rumors galore and with the staffing situation I can’t imagine that’s even remotely close to the front burner at Amtrak right now - we will be lucky to maintain status quo through the winter….so while I don’t want to be rude….. not quite sure why anyone is that surprised. Perhaps a poor choice of photos when you consider the sensitivity of the food and beverage situation to many railfans but the social media department isn’t necessarily going to be that attuned to what makes the railfans tick. They wanted to try to push the sale and they picked some pretty photos.
Amtrak has a tradition of misapplying photos. After the San Francisco Zephyr was moved to Colorado to restore the California Zephyr, Amtrak ran an ad showing the beautiful mountain scenery that they would now access. Unfortunately, the stock photo mountains were the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. Wyoming customers who had just lost their service were outraged and their members of Congress made up for their small numbers by being vocal in their complaints.

These things matter. In 1991 when Amtrak came back to Wyoming ("never to leave again"), Senator Alan Simpson -- a very articulate man -- welcomed the new train but skewered Amtrak over that photo from years before.

Disgusting is my opinion. Black Friday or Cyber weekend is for all intents and purposes a National holiday or at least a National event. Amtrak management decides to only throw a bone to customers of their beloved NEC.

Granted the network trains are very well patronized with the short consists but there’s still no reason they couldn’t announce the off season sale at the same time as the NEC especially since they stired up all this hype and anticipation.
As was mentioned just above your post, the LD trains are selling out at the current prices. Why put them on sale just to deprive yourself of revenue?

Back