Specific Tips for Upcoming LD Trip (CL & Silver Meteor)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh M

Train Attendant
A month from today, November 11th, I'm leaving on my 4th long distance Amtrak trip. I'll be going from my home station in Royal Oak, MI, to Chicago, then on to D.C. aboard the Capitol Limited (I wanted to avoid boarding at zero dark thirty in Toledo, and an afternoon in Chicago having lunch with a friend I haven't seen in years sounded better). Then I'll be in D.C. for a couple days before heading down to Fort Lauderdale on the Silver Meteor to stay with friends for a week. I'll be flying (ugh) home the Monday before Thanksgiving since I won't have the time to spare to do the trip in reverse.

Because this isn't my first LD trip, I know a lot of the general Amtrak long distance trip tips like bringing an extra pillow and a small surge protector to plug into the only outlet in my rooms, etc. I'm also well aware of the issues surrounding the food service (which I experienced on my 2019 trip on the LSL), the lack of the SSL on the CL, etc. I am wondering, though, if there is any specific info, tips, or suggestions that are peculiar to either of the trains I'm taking or to navigating Union Station in Washington (which I've only been to once over a decade ago and never as a sleeper passenger).

For example, a few specific questions:

-Is dinner served on the CL upon departure from Chicago? I'm debating whether to eat before boarding given that 1) it's flex and 2) my body will still be on Eastern time. Same question w/r/t the Meteor after leaving D.C.
-Is there anywhere to store luggage at the station in Washington, similar to the Metropolitan Lounge's luggage room in Chicago? My hotel checkout time is noon, and the Meteor doesn't leave D.C. until almost 7:30, so I'd rather not lug my bags around all day if I don't have to.
-As of now, is the Meteor still running with one V-I and two V-II sleepers? I'm in the 10 car, which last I saw on here was a V-II, so I've been crossing my fingers it still will be so I can check the new cars out.

Any other information about these trains that you think I should know, or about the station, would be greatly appreciated!

You pretty much have it nailed as far as what you need to know for your trip.( including the V 2 Sleeper on the Silver)

As far as the Metro Lounge in WAS goes, there is an Open, Unstaffed Luggage Storage Room behind the Check in Desk where you can leave your stuff ( keep Valuables with you).Never had any problems doing this.

Dinner is served on the Cap out of Chicago, not sure if they still take Reservations in the Lounge or not, but it is Flexfood, so perhaps having a nice Late Lunch with you friend, )or Early Dinner in Chicago)is best.

Breakfast has improved with the New Flex Menu, so should be OK.( I've only had the Continental, but reports say the French Toast and Omelette are good)

You could also take stuff with you and enjoy it in your Room ( Adult Beverages enhance good food!)

You pretty much have it nailed as far as what you need to know for your trip.( including the V 2 Sleeper on the Silver)

As far as the Metro Lounge in WAS goes, there is an Open, Unstaffed Luggage Storage Room behind the Check in Desk where you can leave your stuff ( keep Valuables with you).Never had any problems doing this.

Dinner is served on the Cap out of Chicago, not sure if they still take Reservations in the Lounge or not, but it is Flexfood, so perhaps having a nice Late Lunch with you friend, )or Early Dinner in Chicago)is best.

Breakfast has improved with the New Flex Menu, so should be OK.( I've only had the Continental, but reports say the French Toast and Omelette are good)

You could also take stuff with you and enjoy it in your Room ( Adult Beverages enhance good food!)

Thank you, much appreciated!

Back