Speculation on a Phase VI Paint Scheme

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it, Amtrak's next color scheme will be determined by whoever makes the best "product placement" deal. Texan Eagle's red swoosh will happen when Coca-Cola outbids Pepsi for the Amtrak account. Or maybe Nike can do an ad campaign along the lines of "The only thing faster than our running shoes is Amtrak..." :)

Only problem... Firefighters HATE that 'safety-yellow' color, even if it is more green than yellow. One of the main reasons why most, aside from a very few backward departments still living in the 1980's for paint schemes, have reverted back to RED! :lol:
As I understand it, the problem wasn't so much that firefighters didn't like the color, it's that it turned out that people didn't quickly "recognize" a fluorescent yellow-green fire engine as being a fire engine, since people were so used to red.

So if Amtrak switched to that color, perhaps there would be even more grade crossing accidents, with people not recognizing a train as being a train.
ohmy.gif
That's the reason I understood for the switch back as well. However that shade of greeny-yellow is considered to be the most visible color out there. That's why you see it in most High-Vis jackets. And in use on most foreign (especially European) emergency vehicles, where they care more about safety then we do.

peter

And please no green color! I am sick of seeing all kinds of establishments painting their things green literally to show their "green initiatives". If you want to be environment friendly, do something productive, painting everything green is just super-cliche.
Au contraire! I think Amtrak should do something that's both eco-friendly and family-oriented. How about a green, blowing leaf design on the locomotive sides with a "LORAX APPROVED!" logo up on the cowling? As for the cars, wrap those in likenesses of those lovable "Sesame Street" characters who teach us so many lessons about being good stewards of Mother Earth. Perhaps as a final touch, the Trails and Rails folks would appreciate a Smokey Bear or Ranger Rick motif on the Sightseer Lounge.

1003_CAF_0471.jpg

Could this possibly be the next new paint scheme? All of the new long distance cars are being painted this color. All of the new cars are supposed to be in service in 2015 so does that mean by that year we will have the Phase VI Paint Scheme? It looks a lot like the old Phase III. Personally I think its a great new scheme. You can read more about the new Long Distance Cars here: http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/10/coming-soon-new-long-distance-cars/

I think the current scheme is more or less a good one, as Peter mentioned blue is the color of trustworthyness, adventure, hence the power being painted like blue and silver bullets... a nice patriotic stripe running down the side of the cars, nothing baroque. Change the stripe every few years, tinker with the wrap on the power... no need to fuss over it as long as it works.

Though I must confess I like it when the lines are perfectly straight from end to end.

amtrakloco.jpg
And please no green color! I am sick of seeing all kinds of establishments painting their things green literally to show their "green initiatives". If you want to be environment friendly, do something productive, painting everything green is just super-cliche.
I agree: No green color. Green is as green does, and it takes more than promiscuous displays of a certain color to convince thinking people of sincere corporate intent.
But I also say no flowing, twisting, wavy lines (as above) please. They're just plain lame, smacking of flowing ribbons, tra-la-la rides to fairyland, seasick bobbing in ocean waves, indecisiveness of direction, or worse. Similar lines look terrible on Metrolink, and would be a nationwide disgrace on Amtrak equipment and worked into a revamped logo in some misguided attempt at branding fusion ("synchronicity?").

Though rail paint schemes is a rare area where I tend to be conservative, I've never been a fan of the current one and believe it's long overdue for Phase Out; just not in favor of linear lameness. Far more appropriate would be something bright and bold, with the emphasis on high visibility, not ethereal ribbons of greenwash.

The sickly Metrolink waves:

1217876093_4iXAD-XL.jpg
If done right, wavy lines can look electric, powerful, forward looking.

What do you think about this for example'

First_Great_Western_Refreshed_HST_B2_TF_41052_Exterior.JPG

First Group has some really nice designs in my opinion. That one, their long distance design; their First Capitol Connect service (as seen here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/313047_D_First_Capital_Connect_BODYSIDE.JPG); and their First Great Western Local Lines (http://www.dawlishtrains.com/uploads/7/2/2/3/7223531/__13478_orig.jpg) interesting point on the Local Lines paint scheme, each little 'block' of color making the wave is a point of interest along the line.

I made an 'Green' P32ACDM a while back. It doesn't look that horrible (the picture is worse then the actual thing).

trainz2012-02-1922-47-05-80.jpg

peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back