Speed Tracking App

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
So, I am going on a trip soon (if COVID cases are low enough) on the SW Chief from Fullerton to Chicago, then the Texas Eagle back. I want a good app that can accurately track the speed of the train. Do you know of any that I can download on my iPhone? And does it, or can any work without data?

Many YouTube rail reviewers show train speed on an iPhone app. A check of some of them might reveal what they're using.

snapshot_001.jpg

You can certainly do it with a GPS device - I used an attachment to my laptop a couple of years ago on the Empire Builder with no WiFi or data.

Last edited:
Thank
Many YouTube rail reviewers show train speed on an iPhone app. A check of some of them might reveal what they're using.

View attachment 20408

You can certainly do it with a GPS device - I used an attachment to my laptop a couple of years ago on the Empire Builder with no WiFi or data.
Thank you, I will check out some apps.

It seems to be quite accurate. I’m not sure how it connects and what type of combination of data and gps it uses.

Sometimes it has trouble connecting, but once it’s connected it usually stays connected.

It seems to be quite accurate. I’m not sure how it connects and what type of combination of data and gps it uses.

Sometimes it has trouble connecting, but once it’s connected it usually stays connected.

Okay, I will try it out when/if I go.

I like to do it the old-fashioned way...with my watch, timing between mileposts....😁

Of course, this method doesn't work too well at night, or if you're in a room on the 'wrong' side...;)

So, I am going on a trip soon (if COVID cases are low enough) on the SW Chief from Fullerton to Chicago, then the Texas Eagle back. I want a good app that can accurately track the speed of the train. Do you know of any that I can download on my iPhone? And does it, or can any work without data?

I Like Car Home Ultra App. It gives me accurate speed, where I’m at and you can add so many other apps on it. It does cost, but well worth every penny. It’s just an all around great app!

Attachments

• A353D9AF-74C0-47A7-82CF-325F5D749314.jpeg
    A353D9AF-74C0-47A7-82CF-325F5D749314.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I Like Car Home Ultra App. It gives me accurate speed, where I’m at and you can add so many other apps on it. It does cost, but well worth every penny. It’s just an all around great app!

Hm, well since I'd only be using it on the train, I think I'd rather go with a free one. The only reason I'd buy one if it's good and accurate and doesn't require data.

I don't know if it's even possible for an GPS app to not require data though

Hm, well since I'd only be using it on the train, I think I'd rather go with a free one. The only reason I'd buy one if it's good and accurate and doesn't require data.

I’ve used it also to check my car speed. I understand where your coming from, but I bet after you ride Amtrak you’ll want to go again. Guess I’ve gotten lazy in my old age, I leave the long distance driving to Amtrak! The nice thing about this app is it tells you where your at, what the outside temp is, how fast your going and the list goes on, oh it talks to you also.

Last edited:
I have an iPhone and the first thing that pops up is "Speedmeter mph digital display" by Digital HUD Speedometer. is that it?

GPS can work without data - since primary GPS uses satellites to triangulate your location, that can be done without cellular or wi-fi data. That said, accuracy is typically better when it can use cellular towers and local known wi-fi access points to more precisely locate you (or do it more quickly) - and I'm honestly not sure whether that aspect of it uses data or not. However, the main source of data usage with GPS is downloading the map data. Many apps (including Google Maps, OSMAnd, and HERE Maps) offer the option to download maps to your device. This reduces data usage, and can also allow for completely offline or data-disabled usage if desired. I've used all of those in an airplane (while on airplane mode, manually turning back on location services) and I'll at least occasionally be able to get my location - depending on how close I am to a window, whether that window is facing generally south, etc.

GPS can work without data - since primary GPS uses satellites to triangulate your location, that can be done without cellular or wi-fi data. That said, accuracy is typically better when it can use cellular towers and local known wi-fi access points to more precisely locate you (or do it more quickly) - and I'm honestly not sure whether that aspect of it uses data or not. However, the main source of data usage with GPS is downloading the map data. Many apps (including Google Maps, OSMAnd, and HERE Maps) offer the option to download maps to your device. This reduces data usage, and can also allow for completely offline or data-disabled usage if desired. I've used all of those in an airplane (while on airplane mode, manually turning back on location services) and I'll at least occasionally be able to get my location - depending on how close I am to a window, whether that window is facing generally south, etc.
Okay, good to know.

If it hasn’t been mentioned. I use a cheap Magellan for cars. It good for speed and surrounding towns. Even though you’re not stopping you can see what’s available. Getting ETA on upcoming towns along your route.

Back