SPG to Bradley airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
On Saturday, Dec 3, late afternoon, we have to get from the Springfield train station to Bradley International airport. On weekdays you can get a bus from Windsor Locks station to the airport. But on Saturdays that bus service isn't available. We can do Lyft for that part. But what I'm wondering is how reliable the Vermonter is. If it's more than an hour late, then we won't make it in time. If it departs SPG on time, then it's ideal. There's no other train after the Vermonter that would work.

On Saturday, Dec 3, late afternoon, we have to get from the Springfield train station to Bradley International airport. On weekdays you can get a bus from Windsor Locks station to the airport. But on Saturdays that bus service isn't available. We can do Lyft for that part. But what I'm wondering is how reliable the Vermonter is. If it's more than an hour late, then we won't make it in time. If it departs SPG on time, then it's ideal. There's no other train after the Vermonter that would work.
I wouldn't count on Amtrak to make ANY Connection right now considering what is happening all over the System!

As someone who lives in the area - The Vermonter has been iffy lately - other trains are fine. By then it may be ok as it’s due to track work on the NECR but you’d want to monitor. I’d disagree with other posts that Amtrak is unreliable system wide I’ve had little problems lately but the Vermonter lately is contending with track work in Vermont all other trains out of SPG are fine - I’d check around that time how it’s doing then.

As another Springfield area resident, I agree with the others above...the Vermonter's timekeeping, especially from north of Springfield, has been inconsistent lately. I would definitely take a Lyft from the Springfield train station to get to Bradley. The odds of getting a Lyft from downtown Springfield far outweighs the odds of getting one from Windsor Locks, in my opinion.

Also, when setting up the Lyft, be sure to indicate whether you are at the 'front door' (main doors to the waiting room) to the station or the Lyman St entrance, which is on the other side (south) of the building & tracks.

As another Springfield area resident, I agree with the others above...the Vermonter's timekeeping, especially from north of Springfield, has been inconsistent lately. I would definitely take a Lyft from the Springfield train station to get to Bradley. The odds of getting a Lyft from downtown Springfield far outweighs the odds of getting one from Windsor Locks, in my opinion.

Also, when setting up the Lyft, be sure to indicate whether you are at the 'front door' (main doors to the waiting room) to the station or the Lyman St entrance, which is on the other side (south) of the building & tracks.
Thank you. We ran into that problem several years ago when the renovations had just been completed. Almost missed our ride.

I am in Windsor Locks at least once a year. While local taxi service used to be a problem, now with Uber & Lyft, it is fairly easy to get a car anywhere in town as they tend to cluster around the airport and the associated hotels. Although the Amtrak station is best described as a bus stop enclosure on a wooden deck in a safe but desolate area, depending on the weather, not a place I would want to wait for a ride.

I am in Windsor Locks at least once a year. While local taxi service used to be a problem, now with Uber & Lyft, it is fairly easy to get a car anywhere in town as they tend to cluster around the airport and the associated hotels. Although the Amtrak station is best described as a bus stop enclosure on a wooden deck in a safe but desolate area, depending on the weather, not a place I would want to wait for a ride.
Yes with the recent upgrades to the Windsor stop the Windsor Locks station is the worst on the line as far as the location and facility. It’s a convenient spot as a park and ride off the highway but it’s not otherwise a great location. The new station that’s going to be constructed further up the road within the center of town is long overdue.

Back