Spinning Seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently on a trip on the Downeaster, the conductor told me that it was a felony to turn the seats. Is this true?
I doubt if the conductor has arrest powers. It was a joke.
The conductor can request that law enforcement meet the train at the next station. It's irrelevant whether or not the conductor personally makes the arrest. Convincing a cop to haul you off to jail for turning a seat is another matter though. I suppose it could fall under some clause about interfering with a member of the train crew, or something like that.

Right, the conductor can toss you off the train, so I wouldn't mess with the seats if he tells you not to. Unless you put up a big fuss and start hitting people, it won't be prosecuted as a felony.

First of all, I'd like to say how proud I am to find a thread I started 8 years ago resurrected not just once in 2012, but TWICE now!

Many kudos to downeastermainer for searching and finding this thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently on a trip on the Downeaster, the conductor told me that it was a felony to turn the seats. Is this true?
I doubt if the conductor has arrest powers. It was a joke.
The conductor can request that law enforcement meet the train at the next station. It's irrelevant whether or not the conductor personally makes the arrest. Convincing a cop to haul you off to jail for turning a seat is another matter though. I suppose it could fall under some clause about interfering with a member of the train crew, or something like that.
I thought that a law enforcement presence was standard operating procedure when forcibly removing a passenger. It doesn't necessarily mean that any law has been broken, and it doesn't specifically have to involve an arrest.

It would depend on the laws of the state the train was in, and/or Federal Department of Transportation laws may apply.

An online forum is not a reliable place to be seeking legal advice.

A Conductor could always make a 'citizens arrest', and may have Federal Department of Transportation authority to detain a passenger pending a stop to meet LEO's.

For that matter, anyone else on the train could also make a citizens arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back