Spring /Summer schedules 2012

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
Has anybody heard anything/rumours?

I know there was talk of moving the Lake Shore Limited departure time earlier out of Chicago. It would be nice if it was. When I travel from Buffalo, NY to Chicago and return the only meal choice I have is breakfast both ways. It would be nice to be able to have supper out of Chicago! :)

Any other rumours for other trains?

I know there was talk of moving the Lake Shore Limited departure time earlier out of Chicago. It would be nice if it was. When I travel from Buffalo, NY to Chicago and return the only meal choice I have is breakfast both ways. It would be nice to be able to have supper out of Chicago! :)

The Lake Shore can't move to an earlier departure time until the CSX tunnel clearance work on the route of the Capitol Limited is done. That project started July 24, 2011 and is expected to last 13 months (which would put completion around late August 2012).

Amtrak had talked about switching the Chicago departures of the Lake Shore (making it earlier) and Capitol Limited (making it later), but can't do that until the work is done. Whether they'll actually make the change is an open question.

As stated in the PIP report, the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited schedule shifts for departures from Chicago, with the CL departing later, can not take place until the CSX tunnel clearance project on the CL route is completed. The CSX project is why the eastbound CL can get bustituted when it gets to Pittsburgh too late. That tunnel clearance project is scheduled to be completed by August, 2012. So the earliest you might see the LSL move up to the proposed approx 6 PM and CL move to the proposed approx 7:30 PM departure from Chicago would likely be the fall 2012 schedule.

As for other trains, since the California Zephyr is so frequently running late, at some point they may have to adjust the schedule so the On-Time Performance does not look so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back