Springfield IL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try to get out there and see these things in action myself. I work in the city now so if I remember, I can motor on over to downtown and hang out to see what I can see. I may or may not also write an article for NextSTL about it. This could have a seriously huge impact on the future of passenger rail in the region. It will likely attract ridership and draw more attention to rail service--it could very potentially save the Missouri River Runner as we know it, especially if/when new cars go into service on that train's remaining daily frequency. I won't have any PTO from work for a little while so if I ride, it will have to be a short weekend trip, but it's very, very tempting. I wonder what there is to do in Springfield or Bloomington this time of year?
Springfield IL makes an excellent Amtrak stop... I've stayed there several times when breaking a trip on the TE to Chicago or reversing back for a day trip to St. Louis. The State House Inn is right nearby and they're happy to give you a room overlooking the Amtrak station so you can watch the trains going by. I've walked to the state capitol for a tour... historic and fun. Also the Lincoln shrine and museums. Enjoy all the historical sights; lot's of restaurants nearby or go the the supermarket up the street for fresh fruit and etc.
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 2.36.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 2.47.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 2.47.13 PM.png

I've been to Springfield twice and enjoyed it. Two Lincoln highlights stuck with me: his law office and the train station that he departed on his one-way trip to Washington, DC.

At the law office we're reminded that he had achieved a pretty comfortable and well-established career. (Representing a big railroad in front of juries of farmers and small merchants and craftsmen required a real gift of gab and an ability to get a point across with a bit of humor.) Some men would have skipped his move into politics.

At the train station (not the Alton-GM&O-Amtrak Station) it's easy to think of his friends and family remembering the last time they said "goodbye" to him, following him in the newspapers and then his homecoming in a funeral train.

The "Lincoln Station"...

1976 028.jpg

Last edited:
I've been to Springfield twice and enjoyed it. Two Lincoln highlights stuck with me: his law office and the train station that he departed on his one-way trip to Washington, DC.

At the law office we're reminded that he had achieved a pretty comfortable and well-established career. (Representing a big railroad in front of juries of farmers and small merchants and craftsmen required a real gift of gab and an ability to get a point across with a bit of humor.) Some men would have skipped his move into politics.

At the train station (not the Alton-GM&O-Amtrak Station) it's easy to think of his friends and family remembering the last time they said "goodbye" to him, following him in the newspapers and then his homecoming in a funeral train.

The "Lincoln Station"...

View attachment 26966
Isn't the" Lincoln Station " now the Visitors Information Center?

Isn't the" Lincoln Station " now the Visitors Information Center?
Nope. The visitor's office is (possibly was, judging by some googling) in the former Union Station, which post-dates Lincoln and has no tracks. The Lincoln Depot still has tracks (the 10th St. tracks, not the 3rd St. tracks Amtrak uses) but only a modest museum display.

Other stuff in Springfield of interest...

Dana Thomas House @ 10 blocks south of the Amtrak station is a Frank Loyd Wright house that has tours it is an design museum well worth the time! Dana-Thomas House Foundation

Oak Ridge Cemetery @ 1 mile north of Amtrak station is where the Lincoln Memorial/Tomb is located. Lot of history in the place.
http://www.lincolntomb.org/
Illinois State Military Museum @ 1 1/2 miles NW of the station. It is the place where the Illinois National Guard shares it's long history. Be sure to see Santa Ana's wooden leg!
https://www.visitspringfieldillinois.com/LocationDetails/?id=Illinois-State-Military-Museum

While it might not be open for tours at the moment, the Governor's Mansion is also an option.

Really, just walking around will efface many interesting possibilities, including some small historic house based museums.

The Catholic cathedral is nice and open all day. There's also a botanic garden, for nicer weather. Summers the city hosts a Shakespeare festival. If staying overnight, you might want to taste the local specialty sandwich, a "Slinger" somewhere. The city is popular for Route 66 tourists, as well as those with Lincoln history interests. You could, easily, spend a three day vacation in and just outside of town.

Other stuff in Springfield of interest...

Dana Thomas House @ 10 blocks south of the Amtrak station is a Frank Loyd Wright house that has tours it is an design museum well worth the time! Dana-Thomas House Foundation

Oak Ridge Cemetery @ 1 mile north of Amtrak station is where the Lincoln Memorial/Tomb is located. Lot of history in the place.
http://www.lincolntomb.org/
Illinois State Military Museum @ 1 1/2 miles NW of the station. It is the place where the Illinois National Guard shares it's long history. Be sure to see Santa Ana's wooden leg!
https://www.visitspringfieldillinois.com/LocationDetails/?id=Illinois-State-Military-Museum
Shouldn't Mexico ( or Texas😄 )have Santa Ana's Leg?

Back