Springfield, MA Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcon

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Welcome @Lcon ! Great to hear that you utilize the Valley Flyers and Vermonters at Springfield. I frequent the railcam there at Springfield quite often.
@pennyk, @daybeers, @chadamfleetrailfan
Thank you for the welcome.

As I had said I used to Work for Peter Pan bus line about a decade ago. Now, And until Covid I was a regular user right up till February 2020. During Covid PP schedule was slashed, the Roundhouse Terminal closed and the one trip I took was really awful. Because of the schedule I had had to book a Valley flyer back already and was pleasantly surprised by it way more comfortable and convenient for me and they hadn’t taken a chain saw to the Schedule. I was converted.

Besides the Northampton Platform is located at my favorite fair weather outdoor bar. The old Union Station bar and Grill, an easy walk with a carry on bag via the rail trail on the old Boston and Maine. I can hop off a train grab a bite and toast the train as it leaves the station.
That’s my take on Rail-fanning.

The Springfield Station has been a marked improvement vs what it was when I had worked in Springfield. The “old” Amtrak office in the early 00 is still there at track 8 But it left much to be desired. Small cramped and alway left me with the impression of the RMV. Or post office. Even the ratty old Peter Pan station felt better and that’s not saying much. I am hoping to see more improvements made. Especially to Track 2’s platform. My last trip Springfield to Boston via the Lake shore limited, it was a major shock to go from the elevated well lit covered platform of 4-6 to track 2 at ground level uncovered in the dark and a pile of scrap metal heaped nearby.

The Springfield Station has been a marked improvement vs what it was when I had worked in Springfield. The “old” Amtrak office in the early 00 is still there at track 8 But it left much to be desired. Small cramped and alway left me with the impression of the RMV. Or post office. Even the ratty old Peter Pan station felt better and that’s not saying much. I am hoping to see more improvements made. Especially to Track 2’s platform. My last trip Springfield to Boston via the Lake shore limited, it was a major shock to go from the elevated well lit covered platform of 4-6 to track 2 at ground level uncovered in the dark and a pile of scrap metal heaped nearby.
Welcome Lcon!

I'm hoping that if and when East-West rail improvements happen, they will do something about the platforms on the B&A mainline, perhaps connect track 3 back in and make a better platform there.

Even before then I can think of a few improvements I would like to see. In example installing some lights around 2.
This is a photo I snapped well at 2 waiting for the LSL all the lighting was on 4-6. ADB6D91F-D7F0-4E07-8A82-62ED265662E9.jpeg
Just a few lights would be a big step up.
I mean an active platform in the dark for a train scheduled after 6PM in NE? I didn’t bother trying to snap of 2 as there was no light. The next I shouldn’t even have to say but clean up the platform remove the debris. Those would be substantial improvements in safety and usefulness besides that they would also be prerequisites for renovation of the platform.
End game 2-3 should look like 4-6. Elevated, well lit, covered with non crossing access.
The only thing I would change on 4-6 is that that Old track 8 platform has outdoor benches and they are in disuse, there seems plenty of room for one of those to be moved to 4-6 and eventually a set to be installed at a remodel of 2-3. In fair weather that would allow the elderly or encumbered individuals a place to rest and wait for a train. I mean as is now if you are waiting for a late train Its standing only top side seating inside the main hall or waiting in the stairwell or elevator house. Unless you want to risk the crossing and sit at a unused platform. Just an inconvenience. Especially as the equipment is preexisting and seemingly in good condition. Farther the platforms are on an elevation which actually gives a nice view of the Springfield skyline. One of the advantages over a underground railway.

Last edited:
It looks like Springfield has a new Northeast Regional train added to the mix. #146 arrived at the station earlier tonight (6-4-23) at 11:31P EST, and #140 arrived earlier. You can see both of them below from the railcam (in the first picture, it is the P42 arriving into the station as the train in the foreground is one of the shuttles).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 11.36.50 PM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 11.36.50 PM (2).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 11.40.27 PM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 11.40.27 PM (2).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Pre Covid there were two weekend Regional departures out of Springfield two Saturday arrivals and two Friday arrivals - 136 which ran Friday only 143 which ran both Saturday and Sunday and 146 which ran Saturday only were all axed during various Covid cuts. 143 is now back as before, 146 will now run both Saturday and Sunday and 136 will now run daily. 125 has been extended to Springfield departing 7:50 M-F and 141 has been moved to 4:45 AM - quite early but allows one to reach New York City prior to 9 AM.

It looks like Springfield has a new Northeast Regional train added to the mix. #146 arrived at the station earlier tonight (6-4-23) at 11:31P EST, and #140 arrived earlier.

Along with #146 above, #141 left earlier this morning (6-5-23) at 4:45A as part of the new scheduling.
Looks like I'll have to update my Train Dispatcher Springfield Line simulation to account for these new schedules. :)

I saw on today's (6/10) schedule for Springfield (as well as the railcam) that 449 and 448 have been restored. I'm assuming the track work needed from NY to MA has been completed? Or, is the restoration just a weekend-only thing? (At least, I thought it was track work. If I am wrong, please correct me)

I was on the 448 on Friday June 9, 2023 and it was a train from Albany to Boston. I had previously scheduled the 448 to be on Tu” Monday June 5, 2023 and it was a Thruway bus. 448 was pretty much “on schedule” on June 9, but ran into problems as it went through western Massachusetts.

Also. 448 encountered a multi switch re-setting and stalled 20 minutes heading into Boston Back Bay. I ended up missing my commuter rail train.

Addendum
So I took an afternoon trip to Springfield tonight. I was lousy but other than a half hour delay by the Vermonter 55 it was the weather and myself to blame. Lost my favorite hat due to the wind and my favorite gloves due to my own negligence.
Anyway
The only thing I would change on 4-6 is that that Old track 8 platform has outdoor benches and they are in disuse, there seems plenty of room for one of those to be moved to 4-6 and eventually a set to be installed at a remodel of 2-3. In fair weather that would allow the elderly or encumbered individuals a place to rest and wait for a train. I mean as is now if you are waiting for a late train Its standing only top side seating inside the main hall or waiting in the stairwell or elevator house. Unless you want to risk the crossing and sit at a unused platform. Just an inconvenience.
image.jpg
But lookie lookie. Benches at platform 4&6 and they are brand new ones 2.

Addendum
So I took an afternoon trip to Springfield tonight. I was lousy but other than a half hour delay by the Vermonter 55 it was the weather and myself to blame. Lost my favorite hat due to the wind and my favorite gloves due to my own negligence.
Anyway

View attachment 34937
But lookie lookie. Benches at platform 4&6 and they are brand new ones 2.
Those benches went in this past spring or summer if memory serves me right.

Those benches went in this past spring or summer if memory serves me right.
My last trip had been in February. My job has kept me shackled to a desk due to a high turnover rate. This was one of the very few times I managed to get out of town. Even then rather than my annual week off vacation I ended up having only getting a day extra off vs my normal schedule.

My last trip had been in February. My job has kept me shackled to a desk due to a high turnover rate. This was one of the very few times I managed to get out of town. Even then rather than my annual week off vacation I ended up having only getting a day extra off vs my normal schedule.
Maybe it was a bit earlier than I remember. But it’s definitely the last year

Back