St. Louis, Missouri (STL)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I needed a car for one day during my 2017 visit, Hertz had an office downtown and they picked me up from the hotel at old Union Station. They'd probably pick up/drop off from Gateway station as well (during business hours, of course).

Stl..Current breakfast offerings at the breakfast counter. 03april2022

Attachments

• 20220403_035946.jpg
    20220403_035946.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 23
St. Louis is far and away the best Missouri city to visit by rail. Gateway Station is an intermodal facility served by Amtrak, intercity buses, Metrobus, and Metrolink rail. There is simply no need for a car here, and you'll find it is much easier to get to the major attractions without one as parking is both expensive and difficult to come by. In the next sections, we'll explore each area of the city in detail.

Downtown

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

Metrolink: Arch/Laclede's Landing (Red, Blue)

Metrobus: 40, 99

Located along the riverfront downtown, Jefferson Memorial Park is a gathering place for many city events, including concerts and the Independence Day celebration. The biggest attraction is the Gateway Arch, the tallest monument in the United States at 630 ft. Visitors can travel via tram to the top of the arch every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Also here are Laclede's Landing National Historic Site and the Museum of Westward Expansion. www.gatewayarch.com

Busch Stadium

Metrolink: Stadium (Red, Blue)

Metrobus: 40

A must for any sports fan, Busch Stadium is the home of the St. Louis Cardinals, the first baseball team to play west of the Mississippi River. Weekday tickets often go for less than $20, and the stadium features three all-inclusive areas that offer unlimited food, beer, and soda with ticket purchase. stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com

City Museum

Metrobus: 94, 97, 99

St. Louis' downtown children's museum boasts 600,000 square feet of interactive exhibits, including a giant jungle gym made from two Saber 40 aircraft fuselages, an aquarium with over 10,000 animals, the World's Largest Pencil (at 76 ft. long), and for everyone here, an exceptionally elaborate model railroad. www.citymuseum.org

Union Station

Metrolink: Union Station (Red, Blue)

Metrobus: 4, 41, 97

You won't be arriving at Union Station by Amtrak, but it's just one stop west of Gateway Station on Metrolink. The historic landmark has been converted into a mall, but for the train lovers there is a railroad museum inside with three model train sets and artifacts from the era when trains rolled into Union Station's spacious shed. www.stlouisunionstation.com
This is an old post which I am hoping someone can update. I had to delete some of the info due to the size, but the post gives a breakdown of most tourist spots. Later posts indicate that the St. Louis transit system has been revised. Can anyone knowledgeable about St. Louis update this in a more condensed form? TIA

Back