St Louis transportation options near St Louis Children's Hospital

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
I have an acquaintance who will be traveling from Australia to St Louis in April for his young son's surgery at St Louis Children's Hospital. They will be renting a home a few blocks from the hospital. He has asked how the public transportation system in St Louis is as he'd prefer not to rent a car (except the last week when they may go sight seeing before returning to Australia).

Can anyone who has used the metro and buses in St Louis recently let me know if they're safe and efficient?

Thanks.

If it's the "main" (afaict) hospital it's right next to the Metrolink (LRT) "Central West End" station - the red line goes right to the airport. The issue would be that they may need a car for things such as groceries and late nights, etc. I think the West End is generally a nice area, but like any urban area right now, it may be different for foreigners to acclimatize to our safety standards.

If it's the "main" (afaict) hospital it's right next to the Metrolink (LRT) "Central West End" station - the red line goes right to the airport. The issue would be that they may need a car for things such as groceries and late nights, etc. I think the West End is generally a nice area, but like any urban area right now, it may be different for foreigners to acclimatize to our safety standards.

There's also Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital. A friend used to work there. So I'd make sure of which one of these two hospitals they'll be at.

I stayed at an airbnb a few blocks from the Central West End stop a few years ago. There is also a bus terminal by that station. The area to the north is more hopping than immediately south of there (it was a few blocks to get to a Subway for breakfast.) Though it is all, generally, walkable. Things could well have changed since my last visit, pre pandemic. But my instincts on transit in St. Louis is that while the light rail is good and the buses semi adequate, it is not the most frequent bus service (sometimes just hourly on certain routes.) Further, the lightrail (being in an old railroad row in places) is not always the closest to where you want to be, outside if downtown, necessitating a walk or bus trip. You can get around carless, but it may not be the most convenient and could be a bit limiting. That said, if there's an area that it might be reasonably doable, that could well be near the St. Louis Children's Hospital.

As NorthShore said, if your friends are staying a few blocks from St. Louis Children's Hospital they will be near the Central West End station. Metrolink connects most of the places that many people visit: Forest Park with the Zoo, History Museum, Art Museum; Union Station; U City Loop; Grand Center; the Arch; downtown Clayton, etc. I visited several times without a car. Going where Metrolink does not go requires a little planning and spending some time with a map or metro's app.

They need to strongly be made aware of the level of general lawlessness that exists in most/all large American urban areas. Conditions in this specific area need to be taken into account before making any suggestions how to operate in this area. Also, the nature of the person is important. Large male, probably not much of an issue. Small female, much more caution needed. Not to mention, whether you realize it or not, generally if you are not a local, in many areas you might as well put a sign on your head saying so. You will stand out.

They need to strongly be made aware of the level of general lawlessness that exists in most/all large American urban areas. Conditions in this specific area need to be taken into account before making any suggestions how to operate in this area. Also, the nature of the person is important. Large male, probably not much of an issue. Small female, much more caution needed. Not to mention, whether you realize it or not, generally if you are not a local, in many areas you might as well put a sign on your head saying so. You will stand out.
He says he used to live in Columbia, so he has street smarts. ;)

He said they'll probably rent a car as his brother who will be there, too, has a nice employee discount for one of the car rental agency.

My instincts, having stayed there for a few days, was that it's a reasonably safe area. I walked around extensively at times both day and night.

Yes, cities are cities. Lawlessnes can happen anywhere (my front door window got busted in as a likely attempted burglary in a nice Chicago neighborhood this week.) Things happen. The pandemic along with economic and racial strife hasn't helped. But, that doesn't mean that big cities should be something one is scared of. Most often, unless a particular area is having troubles (and even then) your odds are pretty good at being alright.

Back