Stadia next door to stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
In this post, Ryan said:

Not too many stations with big stadiums right next door
How many are there? I can think of several, including Anaheim, CA; Aberdeen, MD; and Seattle, WA (2). And I suppose could add NYP, although Madison Square Garden isn't a "stadium," it's an "arena."

Let's define this as places where Amtrak trains stop, and where professional teams play.

Cleveland is another.

Redbull Arena may also qualify, it's about 1/2 mile from Newark Penn (but there's a river in between them.

TD Bank Center in Boston is at BON.

Aberdeen is not - I presume you're thinking about Ripken Stadium, home of the mighty Ironbords? That's over off 95, a few miles from the station...

Aberdeen is not - I presume you're thinking about Ripken Stadium, home of the mighty Ironbords? That's over off 95, a few miles from the station...
I stand corrected. Yes, I was thinking of the stadium, which you can see easily from the NEC. I guess I assumed it was closer to the actual Aberdeen station.

I was going to say the same thing. Last time I drove south on 95 (a few years ago), the stadium was on my right (north) and I know the tracks are to the south of 95.

These are all adjacent to or a block away.

Boston Northn Station Boston Garden Celtics Bruins.

Syracuse, NY Syracuse Chiefs Minor League Baseball
Buffalo, NY Buffalo Bisons Minor league Baeball

Cleveland Browns Stadium NFL

Seattle mariners MLB and seahawks NFL separate stadiums.

I'm sure there are others.

I stand corrected. Yes, I was thinking of the stadium, which you can see easily from the NEC. I guess I assumed it was closer to the actual Aberdeen station.
Perhaps you're thinking of the Blue Rocks Stadium just south of WIL?

In this post, Ryan said:
Not too many stations with big stadiums right next door
How many are there? I can think of several, including Anaheim, CA; Aberdeen, MD; and Seattle, WA (2). And I suppose could add NYP, although Madison Square Garden isn't a "stadium," it's an "arena."

Let's define this as places where Amtrak trains stop, and where professional teams play.
I trust you're not asking this question to cheat on the "name that station" thread? :)

Perhaps you're thinking of the Blue Rocks Stadium just south of WIL?
I think he may be - I'm pretty sure you can't see Ripken from the NEC.

Lukas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts, is one block from IND.

Bankers Life Fieldhouse, home of the Pacers is about two blocks from IND.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another twist would be which of the named stadia are actually routinely accessed by people on Amtrak.

SEA, ANA and OAC are routinely used by Amtrak passengers to attend Mariners, Angels and A's games, for instance.

(And probably Seahawks and Raiders games) Granted, Amtrak is probably more of a viable option for day games

than night games in most of those cases.

Even BON might be used by Amtrak passengers since the late-night departure would make attending a night game

a catching a train home possible. (Do many people actually do that? I can't imagine a whole lot, but perhaps some)

IND and DEN? Probably not hardly at all. Same with the various minor league stadia. Mostly the Amtrak schedules just

wouldn't work too well unless someone was making a weekend out of it.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and nearly all of the major professional sports stadiums are really close to Amtrak stations (more on the definition later).

The O.co Coliseum (formerly McAfee Coliseum, Network Associates Coliseum, proposed UMAX Coliseum, and originally Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum) is really close to the Oakland Coliseum (OAC) Amtrak station. I'd also note that if you're getting expansive, Oracle Arena (formerly The Arena in Oakland and originally Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena) is next door. HP Pavilion in San Jose (formerly the Compaq Center of San Jose and originally San Jose Arena) is across the street from the San Jose Diridon (SJS) station. And if you're really generous, AT&T Park (formely SBC Park and originally Pacific Bell Park) is across from the Amtrak bus stop at the Caltrain 4th and King station. Also - the new 49ers stadium (Levi's Stadium) is somewhat across the street from the Santa Clara-Great America (GAC) Amtrak station.

Petco Park in San Diego isn't that close to an Amtrak station per se, but it is right next to a railyard used for Amtrak (and I think Coaster) trains.

Of course Seattle has both Qwest Field and Safeco Field within a block of the Seattle King Street station. The sound of trains passing by (mostly freight trains though) is apparent on televised games from those two stadiums.

Now I've actually been at a minor league baseball game where I was worried about catching an Amtrak train, but the Sacramento Amtrak station is quite a walk from Raley Field in West Sacramento (about 15-20 minutes).

There is that giant sized stadium right next to San Antonio Amtrak station where Texas Eagle ends, sorry I am bad with American sports so no idea what team uses it.

Someone asked about Oakland Coliseum. Yes, it is a legitimate Amtrak stop for Capitol Corridor trains. There is a pedestrian bridge from the station directly into the stadium.

If AmBus count as Amtrak, the bus to San Francisco will drop you at Embarcedaro "station", pretty close to AT&T Park where SF Giants play.

The "new" stadium in Santa Clara (Levi's Stadium) that will be the home of San Francisco 49ers and will host Super Bowl 2016 is at walking access from Amtrak's Great America station.

Amtrak's Capitol Corridor offers a discount code for trains going to Oakland A's or Oakland Raiders games.

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/special_offers/2013_oakland_baseball.php

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/special_offers/oakland_raiders.php

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/stations/index.php?destination_id=15

Oakland-Alameda County ColiseumOakland Coliseum Station

The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Complex, including the Oakland Arena, is home to the Oakland Athletics, Oakland Raiders and Golden State Warriors as well as a host of other sporting events, concerts and family shows. The Coliseum Complex is jointly owned by the City of Oakland and Alameda County and managed by the Oakland Coliseum Joint Venture (OCJV), owned in majority by SMG. SMG is the world's leading company in the private development and management of public assembly facilities, including 170 properties in arenas, stadiums, convention centers, performing arts centers and recreational facilities around the world."

It's literally 500 feet and you at the stadium:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Amtrak+Station+-+OAC,+700+73rd+Avenue,+Oakland,+CA+94621&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=37.752682,-122.199179&spn=0.003677,0.005332&sll=37.753327,-122.201614&sspn=0.0104,0.021329&geocode=FbMOQAIdfWe3-CmDnc2QwoWPgDG8QujA9WLOGQ%3BFUUOQAIddWO3-A&oq=o.co+&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mrv&z=18

Of course Seattle has both Qwest Field and Safeco Field within a block of the Seattle King Street station. The sound of trains passing by (mostly freight trains though) is apparent on televised games from those two stadiums.
An entertaining history of stadium renames. Wasn't there an Enron stadium at one point? Just FYI, Qwest Field is now CenturyLink Field :)

An entertaining history of stadium renames. Wasn't there an Enron stadium at one point? Just FYI, Qwest Field is now CenturyLink Field :)
The last I remember it was named Minute Maid Park (looked it up - still is). Reminds me of the former Pacific Bell Park and the big 'ol Enron logo made part of the main scoreboard. The San Francisco Giants really wanted to get rid of it even though it was paid for. That and the Webvan stickers placed on every cupholder, which became an embarassement after Webvan went out of business.

349756658_4a429e30b6_z.jpg

And I thought there might have been another rename of the football stadium in Seattle.

And I thought there might have been another rename of the football stadium in Seattle.
"It was originally called Seahawks Stadium but was renamed Qwest Field in June 23, 2004 when telecommunications carrier Qwest acquired the naming rights. It was then given its current name in June 2011 after the acquisition of Qwest by CenturyLink." -- Wikipedia

There is that giant sized stadium right next to San Antonio Amtrak station where Texas Eagle ends, sorry I am bad with American sports so no idea what team uses it.
Someone asked about Oakland Coliseum. Yes, it is a legitimate Amtrak stop for Capitol Corridor trains. There is a pedestrian bridge from the station directly into the stadium.

If AmBus count as Amtrak, the bus to San Francisco will drop you at Embarcedaro "station", pretty close to AT&T Park where SF Giants play.

The "new" stadium in Santa Clara (Levi's Stadium) that will be the home of San Francisco 49ers and will host Super Bowl 2016 is at walking access from Amtrak's Great America station.
Are you thinking of the San Francisco Ferry Building stop (SFS)? That's not terribly close - maybe a good half mile? The San Francisco Caltrain stop (SFC) is across the corner.

And in San Antonio it's the Alamodome. It was the temporary home of the New Orleans Saints after Katrina did a job on the Superdome (which was also used to house hurricane victims). At one time it was home of the NBA San Antonio Spurs. It's not really used by any professional sports teams now, but it is used for various college football games.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.416944,-98.478889&q=loc:29.416944,-98.478889&hl=en&t=m&z=18

There is a minor league baseball stadium somewhere in CT that is just across the tracks - Bridgeport, maybe? It has some amtrak advertising on it, as well, that you can see from the train.

Fenway in Boston isn't really that far from BBY, either.

1) the Winnipeg rail station is a few hundred meters from the Goldeyes ball park.

2) Sacramento station is about a mile from Raley Field, where the AAA Sacramento River Cats play.

3) The San Diego Padres play about a mile from the Amtrak San Diego station.

4) St. Louis Amtrak station is .7 miles from Busch Stadium

One past:

5) The Portland Beavers played in PGE Park, about a mile from Union Station

One future:

6) In 2014 the St. Paul Saints will play in a new ballpark very close to St. Paul Union Station, which will be served by Amtrak by then, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back