Stadia next door to stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Seattle has both Qwest Field and Safeco Field within a block of the Seattle King Street station. The sound of trains passing by (mostly freight trains though) is apparent on televised games from those two stadiums.
When the retractable roof at Safeco Field is opened, it literally slides out over the tracks. So in a way, trains pass through the stadium!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Seattle,+WA&hl=en&ll=47.590757,-122.32998&spn=0.002431,0.005681&sll=44.145447,-120.583402&sspn=5.266307,11.634521&oq=SEATT&hnear=Seattle,+King,+Washington&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=47.590497,-122.329969&panoid=BBSZeVmUMsxGazQ0tDrodQ&cbp=12,322.89262170000006,,0,-22.9675222

Wow!!!!!

I've inspired another entire thread. I am truly honored and yet humbled!

To participate in this thread I will add the new Durham Athletic Park home of the Durham Bulls AAA baseball team is only 3-4 blocks from the Durham, NC Amtrak Station.

As a bonus to anyone who may be looking for a 'W' on the 'name that station' thread, you will not find the correct answer so long as you restrict this thread to stadiums (or arenas) that are used by professional athletic teams.

There is that giant sized stadium right next to San Antonio Amtrak station where Texas Eagle ends, sorry I am bad with American sports so no idea what team uses it.
Someone asked about Oakland Coliseum. Yes, it is a legitimate Amtrak stop for Capitol Corridor trains. There is a pedestrian bridge from the station directly into the stadium.

If AmBus count as Amtrak, the bus to San Francisco will drop you at Embarcedaro "station", pretty close to AT&T Park where SF Giants play.

The "new" stadium in Santa Clara (Levi's Stadium) that will be the home of San Francisco 49ers and will host Super Bowl 2016 is at walking access from Amtrak's Great America station.
The Stadium in San Antonio is The Alamo Dome ! It used to be the Home of the SA Spurs, NFL Exhibition er Pre-Season Games are Played there. , the Dallas Cowboys Work out there in August and the Alamo Bowl and Armed Forces All Star Game plus High School Palyoffs are held there Annually! Also Music Shows, Large Conventions, Moto-Cross etc etc. are held here! Some people want it renamed the Henry Cisneros Dome since he was the first hispanic SA Mayor and Spearheaded getting it built but the Clinton Scandals helped do him in Politically so eventually it will probably have some Cool name like e-trade Dome or Chase Dome! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, a couple more. The Buffalo, NY Bisons (AAA baseball) play near the Buffalo Exchange Street Station. Nice ballpark. Their rivals in the International League, the Rochester Red Wings, are about a mile from Rochester's train station.

Now that we've had a win in the 'name that station' thread, I can add that the new Lincoln, NE Amtrak station is adjacent to the new University of Nebraska basketball arena.......

Not that I anticipate many people will take Amtrak to Lincoln for the purpose of seeing a basketball game.

Now that we've had a win in the 'name that station' thread, I can add that the new Lincoln, NE Amtrak station is adjacent to the new University of Nebraska basketball arena.......
Not that I anticipate many people will take Amtrak to Lincoln for the purpose of seeing a basketball game.
One of our Members lives there and is a Big Cornhusker fan, he rides Overnight LD to Games in the Big 10 to follow the Huskers!

Ive only seen Lincoln in Daylight Once when #6 was 12 Hours Down due to hitting Cattle in Western Nebraska, doesn't seem to be much there except the U!!!! ;)

Toronto Union Station has a direct connection to the Air Canada Centre and a covered walkway to the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome) about 1/4 mile west. While I think of it does anyone need a Mayor?

Gord

Up until about 3 years ago Dallas Reunion Arena was Kitty Korner to Union Station. And in Oklahoma City the Bricktown Ballpark which is used by the Triple A Redhawks is 2 blocks from where the Heartland Flyer comes in.

If we are going to mention the Padres, why not the Dodgers? You can see Dodger stadium from Union Station and it's not much more than a mile or mile and a half walk to get the edge of the parking lot.

San Bernardino amtrak station is just a bit over a mile from the minor league team park, the Inland Empire 66ers (named after route 66).

Dan

For arenas:

In addition to MSG on top of New York-Penn Station

The Prudential Center is a few blocks from Newark-Penn Station (home of the New Jersey Devils)

The Boston Garden (I guess it now is the TD Bank Garden) is on top of Boston-North Station

I think the Oakland Coliseum Airport, CA (OAC) is the only sports venue (yes its technically what is it, the O.co coliseum?) that finds its way as an Amtrak Station name.

One of our Members lives there and is a Big Cornhusker fan, he rides Overnight LD to Games in the Big 10 to follow the Huskers!

Ive only seen Lincoln in Daylight Once when #6 was 12 Hours Down due to hitting Cattle in Western Nebraska, doesn't seem to be much there except the U!!!! ;)
Following the Cornhuskers via Amtrak! Lincoln to College Park, MD would be a fun trip once the Terrapins make the move to the Big 10!

I think the Oakland Coliseum Airport, CA (OAC) is the only sports venue (yes its technically what is it, the O.co coliseum?) that finds its way as an Amtrak Station name.
I believe that legally the venue complex is officially still the "Oakland Alameda-County Coliseum" even though the facilities have taken sponsor names.

There is a minor league baseball stadium somewhere in CT that is just across the tracks - Bridgeport, maybe? It has some amtrak advertising on it, as well, that you can see from the train.
Yes, there is a stadium just south or RR west of the Bridgeport Station. It's probably still a good 5 or 6 block walk from that station however.

The recent derailment was just a few blocks further south (RR west) of that stadium.

For arenas:
In addition to MSG on top of New York-Penn Station

The Prudential Center is a few blocks from Newark-Penn Station (home of the New Jersey Devils)

The Boston Garden (I guess it now is the TD Bank Garden) is on top of Boston-North Station

It technically has three facilities there - the O.co Coliseum, Oracle Arena, and the Oakland Coliseum Exhibit Hall.

If we are going to mention the Padres, why not the Dodgers? You can see Dodger stadium from Union Station and it's not much more than a mile or mile and a half walk to get the edge of the parking lot.
Google Maps says it's 2.0 miles from Union Station to the stadium walking along the shortest possible route, 2.2 miles along what I would consider the easiest route (Cesar Chavez/Sunset to Elysian Park into the stadium). Meanwhile, Google Maps says it's 1.3 miles from Santa Fe Depot in San Diego to Petco Park -- but I can tell you from experience that it doesn't feel that long; that walking route in San Diego "seems" much more walkable than the equivalent in L.A.

The good news is that it's not necessary to make that walk in either city, with the Trolley in San Diego, and the Dodger Stadium Express in L.A.

You can see the "Shark Tank" from the Coast Starlight, but I don't know how close it is to the San Jose station.
Very close. Like, I look at my watch and see it's 1:55 PM as I stand in front of HP Pavilion, and I'm able to catch the 2:05 PM Capitol Corridor departure to Sacramento without running or breaking a sweat by simply walking across the street.

You can see the "Shark Tank" from the Coast Starlight, but I don't know how close it is to the San Jose station.
I've actually taken Caltrain to a Sharks game, so it's a really short walk. However, there's a decently sized parking area between the station proper and the street, so it's not exactly across the street. Google Maps says it's about 0.2 miles from the entrance of the station building to the SW entrance of the arena. I think it's pretty darn close. The train tracks run right next to the arena parking lot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Santa+Clara+St&daddr=San+Jose+Diridon+Station,+San+Jose,+CA&hl=en&ll=37.331002,-121.90213&spn=0.00447,0.00751&sll=37.331518,-121.901373&sspn=0.002235,0.003755&geocode=FS-kOQIdYO27-A%3BFQ2cOQIdzOq7-CkpkeOkWMuPgDF_97Gd2IGouw&oq=san+jose+di&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=18&t=h&z=17

I wouldn't take Caltrain back though. There's supposedly a late train tied to the end of every game, but once that's gone there might not be another train if it's a night game. I'd park at Santa Clara and then take VTA 22 which stopped right in front of the arena as well as the Santa Clara Caltrain station and ran 24 hours. It was more fun taking the train to the game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back