Standardizing Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How so? 

That snack box is ok but the cascades offers you a coupon where you can order anything you want 
It's a $3 voucher, right? The way I understand it, you get many more snacks and beverages (including one alcoholic) in BC on the Surfliner than you can from that voucher on the Cascades.

Ah I thought it was a little more than $3.  Still, the snack box relies on you actually wanting what’s in the box. 

Last time I rode the Surfliner it was implied that you only got 1 drink. I’m sure that varies based on attendants. 

I don't have much experience with BC, but would probably take it more depending on the travel time. I am taking my first Acella ride next month, taking NEC back as the Acella was sold out.

As for the budget sleepers, I used BC for that once, but really because there were no sleeper cars on that train. My main reason for the upgrade was the better seats, I never even used the free drink, but I got on the train at 1am and woke up around 9am and was off by 11am. I thought of BC as a more comfortable coach than a budget sleeper but the reason was the same.

open section.png
Budget sleepers would more like these or the duplex versions (I wasn't able to find a clear picture of the duplex roomettes)

The point of standardizing business across Amtrak would be for branding. Business class largely fills the same void on corridor trains no matter where they run.

"Business Class: Business class is an increasingly popular service on the Pacific Surfliner. With a business class ticket, passengers receive a guaranteed seat; self-serve coffee, tea, and pastries in the morning; and at-seat snack and beverage service in the afternoon, as well as a dedicated business class attendant on most trains. Passengers also receive access to the Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles, priority boarding at the Santa Fe Depot in San Diego, and bonus Amtrak Guest Rewards points. The LOSSAN Agency worked with Amtrak in late 2016 to initiate a pilot program to expand business class capacity in direct response to passenger demand. This was achieved by utilizing half of the Superliner longdistance car as a second business class car, separated by a curtain installed in the middle of the car. This created an increased capacity of approximately 30 business class seats, and allows for the full use of the Superliner car for business class service when passenger demand warrants. In 2017, the LOSSAN Agency also worked with Amtrak to upgrade the existing business class snack pack to a branded box with upgraded snack offerings, and also upgraded the breakfast offerings to offer orange juice, bottled water, and new pastries from a local bakery. The LOSSAN Agency also explored options for increasing refrigerator space in the business class car in order to offer expanded at-seat food and beverage service. Moving forward, the LOSSAN Agency will continue to work with Amtrak to enhance the amenities offered in business class in a cost effective manner, potentially including upgraded seat coverings and expanded at-seat food and beverage service. "

Looks like LOSSAN is looking into expanding fridge space in the BC cars to offer "expanded" food and drink service. Regarding differentiation, Pacific Surfliner originally marketed their BC product as "Pacific Business Class" which it still says on the outside of the BC Cars but I don't think they use it in marketing anymore.

View attachment 13077
Budget sleepers would more like these or the duplex versions (I wasn't able to find a clear picture of the duplex roomettes)

The point of standardizing business across Amtrak would be for branding. Business class largely fills the same void on corridor trains no matter where they run.

I've written an article for general readers which adds more to this discussion. One nice touch on the Cascades that is not well known: priority boarding for the customs/immigration check in Van, BC. One not so nice touch: when a bus was substituted because the locomotive's computer wouldn't reboot, there was no effort to offer a partial refund.

Attachments

• Amtrak - Trying Out Business Class.pdf
    299.3 KB · Views: 1
I ride Business Class between downstate Illinois a few times a year. For along time you got different cars, vastly varied service and condition and style of the cars. Last fall we rode it and the car was a redone version. More modernistic styling to the cafe part of the car, and reasonably comfortable seating which was sold out as it often is. They could use more than one car on that run in peak times for sure. It was almost sold out after leaving Carbondale and we had to sit at the rear where the seats don't recline. That could be fixed as well. What was infinitely better was the service. The young fellow who was working the car actually come though the seating area quite a few times offering free drinks and a snack. He was pleasant in the Cafe. When I talked with him a bit he told me that he had to go though new program about how to serve passengers well in business class. His take was either your service orientated toward the passengers or you needed to look elsewhere for a job. Now that being over six months ago I would guess that by now they may have forgotten the whole thing, but who knows. I think I will ride it in a month or so when the weather is more reliable and see how its working.

Midwest corridor trains (mostly) use a mix of Amfleet and Horizon equipment. My guess would be you rode in an Amfleet car, as those were recently refurbished. I seem to recall one of the recent plans put forth by Amtrak mentioned that Horizon cars would also be going through a similar overhaul in the near-ish future.

Back