Star 91

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauve850

OBS Chief
The second part of my return to Florida was from Alexandria to West Palm Beach in car 9111 bedroom B of Viewliner II Potomac River I think was name. I was anxious to try out a new bedroom. The train arrived basically on time and the conductor scanned my ticket as I boarded car 11. My SCA Marie was at top of the steps and said " the roomettes are that way". I thanked her and settled into bedroom b. As we got moving she walked by quickly then walked backwards a bit surprised. I guess its an assumption a single will be in a roomette. We talked and she said she would be back for my dinner information in a bit.

This was an on time ( and early to my destination ) no problem type train ride. Unlike some others Ive rarely had a bad trip over the years. I just enjoyed being back on trains again. The outside of the car was very dirty maybe due to the storm in northeast two days prior but inside was very clean. The thermostat was not on and did not work. I swear in 30 years or so Ive never had one that works. The temperature like my previous trip on the Cardinal was just right so it didn't matter.

As Penny ( i think ) wrote many months ago you can hear every toilet in the car flushing in the bedroom. Like the train horn you kind of forget about it after a while but there is definitely noise. I wear ear plugs when sleeping so it did not keep me awake and then it really didn't bother me much.

Someone wrote about trouble keeping the curtain closed on the door. The curtain has velcro but seemingly nothing to attach it on the frame. There is a rubber strip on the frame and the curtain slides into it thus securing it from opening. I also noticed wash cloth stuffed into the partition between rooms a and b so that hasn't changed as without something wedged it rattles.

Cup holders are nice and deep, lots of storage above bathroom and door area, old blue blankets ( clean in a package ) instead of new ones I had on the Cardinal so go figure that one. 5 hangers for the small closet area will hold 5 thin items. The ladder to upper bunk was stored behind the chair but didnt rattle so not a bother to me.

When Marie came back she was taking my order and I asked if I could eat in diner? She was surprised but said sure and she would give the order and time to the attendant so all would be ready when I went down at 6:30. Unlike the previous train there was only one other person in the diner. I received my order and adult beverage and enjoyed my warm roll and picked at dinner. Same at breakfast maybe one more person. I lingered and enjoyed the ride after dinner and breakfast. I skipped lunch.

Room A was unoccupied from Alexandria to West Palm Beach except for my SCA to use bathroom and chat on her phone. Also conductors utilized the space off and on.

I enjoyed the scenery until just after Raleigh then settled in to read. So not an exciting report but enjoyed the newness of the sleeper.

My SCA Marie was at top of the steps and said " the roomettes are that way". I thanked her and settled into bedroom b. As we got moving she walked by quickly then walked backwards a bit surprised. I guess its an assumption a single will be in a roomette.

Thank you for an interesting report. Marie must not have checked her manifest too carefully. But, from your report, it sounds like she did a good job.

Thanks for your report. I always prefer Room B on the Silvers since the couch is facing forward. Sleeping with ear plugs is a good idea. Thanks. :)

Back