Starlight: Business Class Eugene to Sacramento

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant
End of June, I will be taking the Starlight in Business Class from Eugene to Sacramento. I don't seem to have an assigned seat. Any tips on the best side of the train I should sit on when I board in Eugene? What side will give me the train I should be on when I board in Eugene?

Will it be light enough to see Mt. Shasta, that time of year, headed south?

You'll either get a seat assignment at the station, or upon boarding. I don't think there's a way to know or control which side of the train you'll be on.

Mt. Shasta will not be visible at all, unless you have magic night-vision goggles... or unless you're six or more hours late. Mt. Shasta will be passed by for about an hour before Dunsmuir, CA, which will be about 11:30pm to 12:30am (Klamath Falls departure is 10:00pm, Dunsmuir arrival is 12:35am IIRC). However, the ride through the Cascades (Eugene, OR to Chemult, OR) should be visible and pretty, at least in a couple spots. The trees will be lush by then, and might block the view sometimes.

You'll either get a seat assignment at the station, or upon boarding. I don't think there's a way to know or control which side of the train you'll be on.

Mt. Shasta will not be visible at all, unless you have magic night-vision goggles... or unless you're six or more hours late. Mt. Shasta will be passed by for about an hour before Dunsmuir, CA, which will be about 11:30pm to 12:30am (Klamath Falls departure is 10:00pm, Dunsmuir arrival is 12:35am IIRC). However, the ride through the Cascades (Eugene, OR to Chemult, OR) should be visible and pretty, at least in a couple spots. The trees will be lush by then, and might block the view sometimes.
Ah rats. I guess I will need to make the trip north sometime.
default_wink.png
I think it is visible in the morning.

If I show up early, can I request a side of the car? If so which would be the best side? Are those cars a 2-1 configuration like some business class? Should I just grab a 1 if I can?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah rats. I guess I will need to make the trip north sometime.
default_wink.png
I think it is visible in the morning.

If I show up early, can I request a side of the car? If so which would be the best side? Are those cars a 2-1 configuration like some business class? Should I just grab a 1 if I can?
The moon is full on June 28, so there should be moonlight for viewing Mount Shasta in the end of June. I planned my next vacation around having the full moon to view Mount Shasta on the southbound Coast Starlight.

Business class is 2 x 2 seating on the Coast Starlight.

When I've ridden business class on the Starlight, the attendants have just told me to go pick a seat. Don't remember ever being assigned one, although I don't doubt it happens.

I don't recall if they assign seats at the station in LA -- maybe they do. Anywhere else I've been on the Starlight, on board staff either assigns a seat (I've only experienced that in coach) or points you towards a car and tells you to pick one.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

None of this post is correct. Business class is not usually assigned seats (although anything is possible with Amtrak OBS) so you'll likely be able to pick a side. Right of the forward motion will be Mt. Shasta.

Mt. Shasta is visible at night... Obviously it's moon lit... But it's quite visible.

For southbound journeys, Mt Shasta is on the LEFT side of the train. With a full moon, the mtn should definitely be visible from the moonlight reflecting on the snow. There will stilll be plenty of snow on the mtn above treeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Also business class should be pretty empty, although of course nothing is guaranteed. It's a good option for solo travelers who don't want to sleep in (or pay for) a roomette and can take the small risk of having someone sit next to them.

The moon isn't in the night sky every night the CS goes by Mt. Shasta.

Basically 1/2 a month - when the moon is in the last week of waning, the week before new moon, through about 1st quarter.

A full or near full moon is high in the sky about mid-night, but at sunset and sunrise is near the horizon.

Also business class should be pretty empty, although of course nothing is guaranteed. It's a good option for solo travelers who don't want to sleep in (or pay for) a roomette and can take the small risk of having someone sit next to them.

Thank you. That was going to be my next question. Glad to hear there is a chance it will be fairly empty.

Yes I have a roomette on the Zephyr but wow it just seems too expensive for just one night on the Starlight so went with business class.

Eugene to Jasper: Right side (river views until crossing). Jasper to Chemult: Left side (river views and best views of upper loop of Willamette Pass. Chemult to KFalls: Right side (Williamson River gorge and upper Klamath Lake).

The most likely scenario is they will hand you a seat check at Eugene and tell you to find a seat. And if you move to a vacant seat on the opposite side of the car during the trip no one will care.

In the unlikely event both the car is near full AND you have a c/a or conductor who is competent and caring you may be assigned a seat to keep adjacent seats available for a group anticipated to board at Eugene or later.

Business class seats on the Starlight are virtually identical to coach. It's the same legroom, seat width, etc. The only actual benefit is that BC seats are usually faux-leather. As was mentioned, Business should be a lot quieter and less crowded than coach, so I would say you have a good shot at an open window seat on the left side of the train. You should be able to pick your own seat, but assigned seating is a possibility.

Have a great trip!

Business class seats on the Starlight are virtually identical to coach. It's the same legroom, seat width, etc. The only actual benefit is that BC seats are usually faux-leather. As was mentioned, Business should be a lot quieter and less crowded than coach, so I would say you have a good shot at an open window seat on the left side of the train. You should be able to pick your own seat, but assigned seating is a possibility.

Have a great trip!

Well I picked business class because I thought there would be more room. But officially there isn't? But there really is since chances are it won't be crowded?
default_smile.png

What about the "meal voucher". Does that pay for a meal? Or just get you a discount?

Have a great trip!

Well I picked business class because I thought there would be more room. But officially there isn't? But there really is since chances are it won't be crowded?
default_smile.png

What about the "meal voucher". Does that pay for a meal? Or just get you a discount?
The voucher just gives you a discount in the diner or for food in the SSL.

I make that same trip twice a year for the last three years. I have never been assigned a seat the most I have ever seen in business class is 21 people, the car seats 60. You should have no difficulty sitting anywhere you want to.

Have a great trip!

default_smile.png

Business class on Amtrak is subject to a lot of inconsistency between the different routes. This thread has a rundown of the offerings on every route. Many trains (primarily on the Empire Corridor) get the split business/cafe cars, with spacious 2x1 seating and free non-alcoholic beverages.
default_smile.png
On Acela, 'business class' literally just means coach, and first class is what would be business class.

From that thread:

Coast Starlight

Two Bottles of Water, an onboard credit good for food and beverage purchase in the dining car or cafe car. Access to Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles and Portland.

That 'onboard credit' is just a $6 coupon. So the total benefits of business class on the Starlight are:

• Two free bottles of water
  • 25% AGR point bonus
  • (Probably) leather seats
  • $6 coupon in the SSL or Diner
As has been mentioned, you can look forward to what will probably be a very empty and quiet car.

Have a great trip!

default_smile.png

Business class on Amtrak is subject to a lot of inconsistency between the different routes. This thread has a rundown of the offerings on every route. Many trains (primarily on the Empire Corridor) get the split business/cafe cars, with spacious 2x1 seating and free non-alcoholic beverages.
default_smile.png
On Acela, 'business class' literally just means coach, and first class is what would be business class.

From that thread:

Coast Starlight

Two Bottles of Water, an onboard credit good for food and beverage purchase in the dining car or cafe car. Access to Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles and Portland.

That 'onboard credit' is just a $6 coupon. So the total benefits of business class on the Starlight are:

• 25% AGR point bonus
As has been mentioned, you can look forward to what will probably be a very empty and quiet car.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess there ain't no such thing as a free dinner in business class.
default_wink.png

I think I also read you can have dinner at your seat? Which I prefer. I don't mind so much breakfast and lunch in the dining car but dinner I like to have on my own.

Have a great trip!

default_smile.png

default_smile.png

From that thread:

Coast Starlight

• 25% AGR point bonus

Thanks for the clarification. I guess there ain't no such thing as a free dinner in business class.
default_wink.png

I think I also read you can have dinner at your seat? Which I prefer. I don't mind so much breakfast and lunch in the dining car but dinner I like to have on my own.
If you eat at your seat, you'll probably have to get up and get the food yourself, and bring it back. So you'll probably be walking over to the diner (or SSL) either way.

There is a "dinner-at-your-seat" on the Coast Starlight, but I am not sure it is offered to Business Class (maybe coach only?). There is one choice, and it is pretty basic offerings (such as Salisbury steak).

It is not possible for passengers to carry out food from the diner.

"It is not possible for passengers to carry out food from the diner."

I've seen it done. As usual with Amtrak each crew makes up and enforces their own rules. Technically coach / business class passengers are supposed to be able to order meals at their seat through the coach attendants.

None of this post is correct. Business class is not usually assigned seats (although anything is possible with Amtrak OBS) so you'll likely be able to pick a side. Right of the forward motion will be Mt. Shasta.
Mt. Shasta is visible at night... Obviously it's moon lit... But it's quite visible.
I deeply apologize for this. I've ridden Amtrak before, but I completely forgot that there are no seat assignments... I probably just woke up from a nap or something. I only remembered getting seat assignments for the Cascades in SEA. Second, I'm rarely outside during the night, so I don't know how bright the full moon is (It also might be cloudy).

Back