Starlight detour today or map problem?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acelafan

Conductor
I saw that #11 (southbound Coast Starlight) took a detour according to the GPS tracker this morning.

Does anyone know if this is a scheduled detour? Just curious. The previous #11 followed the normal route yesterday.

Attachments

• train_11.png
    train_11.png
    302 KB · Views: 40
I saw that #11 (southbound Coast Starlight) took a detour according to the GPS tracker this morning.

Does anyone know if this is a scheduled detour? Just curious. The previous #11 followed the normal route yesterday.
It looks like it stayed on the former SP Valley Sub to Roseville instead of switching to the former WP Sacramento Sub at Binney Jct in Marysville as it usually does.

My understanding is that is a regular alternate routing that Amtrak crews are qualified for without requiring use of UP pilot crews.

It is the former regular route of the Starlight prior to the UP-SP merger and UP's reconstruction of the junction at Haggin in Sacramento between the former SP and WP to allow movement in all directions.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I had no idea. Thanks for the info and history.
The original, original route was to go north from Davis up the West Valley line through Woodland and Williams and miss Sacramento entirely. That was the same route as the SP Cascade and Shasta Daylight.

It started running via Sacramento and the Valley Sub in the early 1980s when SP announced its intention to downgrade the West Valley line, which was ultimately spun off to a short line (California Northern).

Finally, that stretch between Haggin and Binney Jct and the former WP paired track between Alazon (outside Winnemucca) and Weso (outside Wells) that the eastbound Zephyr uses are the only parts of the old Western Pacific hosting passenger trains.

I believe from Salt Lake City to Wells, NV is also on the former Western Pacific. I think one of these days I need to sit down and do a break down of what former Class Ones Amtrak runs on. Could be a fun project for me when I'm bored.

The original, original route was to go north from Davis up the West Valley line through Woodland and Williams and miss Sacramento entirely. That was the same route as the SP Cascade and Shasta Daylight.

It started running via Sacramento and the Valley Sub in the early 1980s when SP announced its intention to downgrade the West Valley line, which was ultimately spun off to a short line (California Northern).

Here's a close-up from a 1946 schedule. The East line was covered by an all-stops local between Gerber and Sacramento. An aside: in 1964 I stepped off the Cascade for a quick look at Gerber and was almost knocked down by the heat. The AC had been working overtime in my Daylight (non-leg rest) coach.

The West line was the speedway. Note that the Beaver and the Cascade were scheduled to cover 111 miles from Tehama to Davis in 112 minutes, as passengers enjoyed their French Toast. The schedule was shortened when Diesel power and lightweight equipment arrived.

1946 04 14 Shasta tt 002 (2).jpg

I believe from Salt Lake City to Wells, NV is also on the former Western Pacific. I think one of these days I need to sit down and do a break down of what former Class Ones Amtrak runs on. Could be a fun project for me when I'm bored.
I stand corrected. Yeah, eastbound it is old WP from Weso to SLC, westbound, it is old WP from SLC to Alazon.

Waiting at EMY for 11 now. Agent said they had to route around flooded track.The storm that affected yesterday's train affected it today too.

Back