Station Status Boards - Wish List

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm considering making a change to the boards.

For both the 'static' and 'solari' formats, there is a 'boarding' option. What this does is to allow the user to display the word 'boarding' when a train is at a station, getting ready to depart. It's a simulation because I have no way to know whether or not the train is actually boarding. The default is to show that word. The option allows the user to not show it. This option is very rarely used, so I'm considering eliminating it.

The other feature applies only to the boards in the 'solari' format. If the computer that is being used to display the board is very slow, I originally provided an option called 'solaripaintspeed'. This allows the user to skip the flipping action of the characters on the simulated solari board. This is also rarely used, so I'm considering removing this option and instructing the users of it to move to the 'static' format instead.

Anybody have any objections to my removing these features?

jb

So many times while waiting on the platform on the NEC at some stations when trains are late, the trackside boards show a train has arrived, is boarding, then is departing - but the train still hasn't gotten there. So your simulation, when wrong, would be just like Amtrak's reality!

I've noticed the same thing here in Cary, NC. The automated voice that announces "boarding", etc..., trackside here is called Samantha. She has posted that a train has already departed even though it hasn't even arrived yet. That's what gave me the idea that it would be alright if the word "boarding" was posted even though the train might not be.

jb

So many times while waiting on the platform on the NEC at some stations when trains are late, the trackside boards show a train has arrived, is boarding, then is departing - but the train still hasn't gotten there. So your simulation, when wrong, would be just like Amtrak's reality!
Yup, that's been my experience on the Hartford Line in Connecticut (Amtrak displays)

Back