Station stops WAS--NFK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA

OBS Chief
Anyone know what the station stops will be on the new WAS--NFK run ? Is there a time table in print yet ? I am interested in Suffolk VA. This could work out better than NPN for me depending on the time.

Anyone know what the station stops will be on the new WAS--NFK run ? Is there a time table in print yet ? I am interested in Suffolk VA. This could work out better than NPN for me depending on the time.
The Regionals that will extended to Norfolk will stop at Petersburg and Norfolk. The Richmond Hamptons Roads Passenger Rail Tier I FEIS calls for a Bowers Hill station near Chesapeake, but the status of the plans for the station are rather vague. Could be a few years before a station is built there.

http://www.amtrakvir...-FactiSheet.pdf

Northbound

M-F #174 Norfolk 4:50am DC 9:44am

SatSun #88 Norfolk 6:05am DC 10:55am

Southbound

M – F #125 DC 3:55 pm Norfolk 8:50 pm

Sat #71 DC 7:00 pm Norfolk 11:48 pm

Sun #157 DC 4:00 pm Norfolk 8:48 pm

WAS, ALX, FBG, RVR, PTB, and NFK should be on all trains. Whether other stops (Woodbridge, Quantico, and Ashland come to mind) are on the trains may vary and change, as not all trains hit all of those stops.

In the longer run, there's the aforementioned Bowers Hill stop planned. In the long run, there's a desire to reroute the trains via RVM, but that's snarled in politics and money...the cost to rehab the S-line south of RVM is quite prohibitive, and absent such a rehab, the time losses between RVM and PTB would do a good job of killing ridership.

Norfolk to the former N&W station in downtown Petersburg was listed at 84 miles by N&W and the old Amtrak timetables for the Mountaineer in the 1970's.

I'm unsure what the distance from that point to the existing Amtrak station via the newly constructed connection is though. Maybe 2-3 additional miles?

Anybody know what the mileage is between Petersburg and Norfolk? I need to keep the maps accurate.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

Amtrak Status Maps

statusmaps.net
Per the February, 1977 schedule, it's 84 miles from Lamberts Point to Petersburg (River St.).

I also get 83.9 miles from Lamberts Point to the northern junction with CSX from here. With all of this said, there's a little problem in that I don't think there's ever been a direct train from Norfolk to Washington.

Edit: To get the mileage, you'd also need to back out the distance from Lamberts Point to the new station. Not knowing the old station's address, my best guess there is 3.5-3.8 miles.

Edit 2: Actually, if you can get the milepost for Bridge 5, subtract that from the 83.9 to get the mileage there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back