Station to Station Art Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ispolkom

Engineer
The Friends of the 261 are renting many of their cars to "Station to Station: A Nomadic Happening" It's appearing at several venues across the country.

I'm not interested in the musicians or visual artists they feature, but am interested by the mention of "the Aitken designed train turned kinetic sculpture." I'll try to find out when it's arriving at St. Paul Union Depot, where there is a performance on September 12.

After the tour, the Friends have to get their cars home, so they are splitting them between two repositioning trips. The prices seem pretty reasonable for what you get, but I am almost out of vacation. The best I can do is to ride Chicago - St. Paul on October 3 to get my yearly Cedar Rapids fix.

Awesome trips! Wish I had the time and the money, because both trip A and trip B are perfect!

The Station to Station extravaganza appeared at St. Paul Union Depot last night, sans train, so I missed nothing by missing the show.

I did see a survey crew working at SPUD this morning, so perhaps the track work will be finished by 2015. Or am I too optimistic?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Station to Station extravaganza appeared at St. Paul Union Depot last night, sans train, so I missed nothing by missing the show.

I did see a survey crew working at SPUD this morning, so perhaps the track work will be finished by 2015. Or am I too optimistic?
I'm thinking too optimistic. Don't they have to let the grass between the ties of the rails that are already in place grow to a certain length before they can begin connecting them to the mainline?

They had the train at the Midway Station. It took a lot of asking around to find out that I had spent $25 of wandering around to see what I could've seen for free had they announced the location.

Today's Trains News Wire says of the train, "Sept. 27, it will operate ahead of the northbound Coast Starlight to Oakland, where the final event will take place Saturday at the recently-renovated former Southern Pacific 16th Street Station."

A good opportunity to mosey over trackside and watch it pass would become a great opportunity if I knew just how far ahead of the Starlight the special is gonna run (long trudge, or bus ride, depending on viewing spot). Too bad I can't get to the Inland Empire and see it pound over Cajon too!

Today's Trains News Wire says of the train, "Sept. 27, it will operate ahead of the northbound Coast Starlight to Oakland, where the final event will take place Saturday at the recently-renovated former Southern Pacific 16th Street Station."

A good opportunity to mosey over trackside and watch it pass would become a great opportunity if I knew just how far ahead of the Starlight the special is gonna run (long trudge, or bus ride, depending on viewing spot). Too bad I can't get to the Inland Empire and see it pound over Cajon too!
They spent Money Rennovating the Oakland 16th Street Station???? :eek: Who paid for that???

They spent Money Rennovating the Oakland 16th Street Station???? Who paid for that???
Apparently it's a work in progress:

"Since 2002, the station has been owned by nonprofit BRIDGE Housing, which is developing short- and long-term plans for the station. BRIDGE is working in partnership with RAILS (Restoration Association for Improving the Landmark 16th Street Station), a nonprofit established to serve as the community stewards of the Station’s redevelopment.

"Given the scale of this project, the need for seismic retrofitting in the long-term and the current economic climate, the property will be developed using a phased approach. Each of the Station’s elements, such as the Main Hall and the Baggage Wing, offers abundant opportunities—the potential only limited by imagination and funding."

http://www.16thstreetstation.com/

station-then.jpg
Academy of Art University Photo.​

:hi: Thanks Patrick, Interesting! I was surprised to see the mention!! I remember years ago that this Old SP/turned Amtrak Station was allowed to turn into a Filthy Dump and after the Quake in '89 everyone figured they would tear it down due to the Severe Damage!! Id put it in the same Catagory as Union Terminal in Buffalo and Michigan Central in Detroit, the Prognosis isnt Good! :(

Back