Quantcast

Stations that should be replaced

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

adamj023

Service Attendant
The nicest stations are the oldest stations or retrofits of old historical buildings for use as Amtrak stations. Most places do not even need a full station as many of Amtrak’s stops are small rural locations. Some locations like Penn Station in NYC which has the most usage in Amtrak desperately needed a new station and the Moynihan Train Hall was needed which is a retrofit of the old mail sorting facility.

I was going to say Birmingham, AL but looks the old L&N station got replaced. Is that Civil Defense car still there?

bms

Service Attendant
That's certainly a viable proposal IMHO. Most anything would be an improvement over the present facility. Typically, we drive to Atlanta, park in the closest long term MARTA lot, and cab or Uber to the station. Closer parking along with your other suggestions are feasible and needed.

The commuter lines mentioned in sttom's post would be wonderful but I don't see funding being approved for a long time. I have friends and family in the Atlanta-Marietta area and every year their commutes get longer and more stressful. Maybe the influx of new residents from other areas can change traditional thinking about mass transit and commuter lines.
Great ideas expressed in this thread. A true National Network would include the Southeast and trains from Nashville-Atlanta-Jacksonville.