Status of Amtrak Status Maps - dixielandsoftware

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, obviously Amtrak went down around noon on Monday, June 13, 2016. They did manage, after a while, to get Amtrak-Lite running. Here it is 9 hours later and Amtrak-Lite is still being used instead of Amtrak.com.

As I have mentioned, Amtrak Status Maps is incompatible with Amtrak-Lite. The good news is that I was able to figure out how to make them work together. It'll still take me a day or two to implement the code, though.

jb
Well, ASM is still not quite prime time ready for Amtrak-Lite.

Amtrak.com went down this afternoon (9/20/2016) and they now have Amtrak-Lite running. ASM gathers the data correctly from Amtrak-Lite, but doesn't parse it correctly. I think I've captured enough data to make the corrections, but hopefully Amtrak.com will be up and running before too long.

jb

On Sunday, Jan. 15, 2017, something happened to Amtrak's tracking system. Many of the trains were not showing up on their Track-A-Train map, nor were the times being posted on their reservations system. That, of course, affects both Better Track-A-Train and Amtrak Status Maps.

Things were better yesterday, the 16th.

To my eye, looks like today things are acting up again.

jb

At about 9.30 p.m. EST on 2/21/2017, the web hosting company for Amtrak Status Maps (dixielandsoftware.net, statusmaps.com) started experiencing server failures. That is making it difficult to get to Amtrak Status Maps. Tech Support is aware of and working on the problem. No estimated up time.

jb

10/8/2018 7.47 a.m. Amtrak has changed its website(s). That has disabled Amtrak Status Maps. I'm working on it.

jb
interesting. I can't get a connection to Amtrak with their own iPhone app using iOS 10. Worked fine before the website change. Anyone else experiencing this as well? The app just starts up and crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

10/8/2018 7.47 a.m. Amtrak has changed its website(s). That has disabled Amtrak Status Maps. I'm working on it.

jb
interesting. I can't get a connection to Amtrak with their own iPhone app using iOS 10. Worked fine before the website change. Anyone else experiencing this as well? The app just starts up and crashes.

It's Sunday morning. That's when we're most likely to notice issues after they do maintenance/updates during the night - Sunday mornings being the usual day, I believe, for doing these. 3 years ago this weekend the system was having issues most if not all day....just as some of us were heading out to the gathering.

ASM has not worked right for me on Chrome 61.0.3163.100 with Mac 10.12.6 for several days. I see the routes and I see the trains on the map, but clicking on a train number does nothing, no station-by-station OTP on the left, no little popup box right by the train number.

I'm going to try to disable extensions (I have about 7 extensions running) one at a time to see if one of those is causing the issue. It is working fine on Safari and Firefox.

Edit to add: Found it - I was using Tampermonkey for a couple of scripts and disabling it instantly solved the ASM issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
ASM has not worked right for me on Chrome 61.0.3163.100 with Mac 10.12.6 for several days. I see the routes and I see the trains on the map, but clicking on a train number does nothing, no station-by-station OTP on the left, no little popup box right by the train number.

I'm going to try to disable extensions (I have about 7 extensions running) one at a time to see if one of those is causing the issue. It is working fine on Safari and Firefox.

Edit to add: Found it - I was using Tampermonkey for a couple of scripts and disabling it instantly solved the ASM issue.
I'm curious which scripts were the problem...if it's not too hard to find out, can you let me know?

Does it have anything to do with Apple ios11 upgrade?

Right now Amtrak Status Maps (ASM) is having a very hard time getting information from Amtrak.com, which is running very slooooowly. The result is that it looks like ASM is not working, but it is.

jb

I'm curious which scripts were the problem...if it's not too hard to find out, can you let me know?
Unfortunately I don't know as I simply disabled the entire Tampermonkey extension. I didn't disable scripts one by one.

On 8/27/2018 Amtrak has made an "invisible" change to the Amtrak.com train status queries. This is causing trouble for Amtrak Status Maps, et al, which is limping along as best it can.

I'll keep you posted.

jb

Back