Status of Amtrak Status Maps - dixielandsoftware

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On 8/27/2018 Amtrak has made an "invisible" change to the Amtrak.com train status queries. This is causing trouble for Amtrak Status Maps, et al, which is limping along as best it can.

I'll keep you posted.

jb
Not having much luck this time. I'm having trouble figuring out how to work with the changes Amtrak made.

Have to face the possibility that I might not be able to solve the problem.

jb

On 8/27/2018 Amtrak has made an "invisible" change to the Amtrak.com train status queries. This is causing trouble for Amtrak Status Maps, et al, which is limping along as best it can.

I'll keep you posted.

jb
Not having much luck this time. I'm having trouble figuring out how to work with the changes Amtrak made.

Have to face the possibility that I might not be able to solve the problem.

jb
Finally fixed it. Unfortunately, Amtrak made the change right at the beginning of my vacation, so it took longer than usual.

A big thank you goes to Train2104 and acelafan for coming up with the solution and guiding my efforts.

jb

Just noticed that over the past few days, both ASM and Dixieland have had a hard time tracking train 448 when it leaves Albany.
I don't know what's been going on over the last few days, but the information from Amtrak (which is where we get our data) is a bit sketchy. For example, Amtrak's tracker shows the train to be in Albany while it's status page shows it to be east of Springfield, and no time was posted for Pittsfield.

jb

Thanks for the information, that was the assumption I had based on sketchy data from Amtraks track a train page these last few days. Thanks so much for these resources by the way, they are incredibly well made!

Just thought I'd mention that Hurricane Florence is making a beeline for us. We're supposed to get 30'' of rain because the thing is supposed to stall. Although we have a full house generator, so power is not a problem, our cable/internet service might go down. If that happens, the following will suffer a "Service Disruption":

Amtrak Status Maps

ASM Alerts

Station Status Boards

jb

Well, that didn't work. I've restarted the updates. The system will take a couple of hours to get caught up to where things were working very poorly, yesterday. Have to contact support again this afternoon.

jb

On may maps (dixielandsoftware) it's not possible to show off-route detours.

I link to asm.transitdocs.com which does show them, usually. An occasion where they might not would be if a freight company's engine is in the lead and the Amtrak engine isn't reporting the train's location.

jb

I need to do some work on the system this afternoon. That'll take down the following starting at 1:15 p.m. EST for about 3 hours:

Amtrak Status Maps (will remain static during this time period)

ASM Alerts (will not send Alerts during this time period)

Station Status Boards (will remain static during this time period)

jb

Back working again - I have missed it over the last few days. My wife uses it to track my progress when I am on Amtrak (and Via).

Unfortunately looks like I will myself be tracking the trip I should have been on in early June from here in the UK due to the travel restrictions from UK to USA that are in place.

I used the Amtrak Status Maps a lot to check the progress of the trains my kids took coming home from grad school. (My son would take the Saluki up from law school in Carbondale, IL, and my daughter would take the Lincoln Service from Chicago to come home from library school in one of the near suburbs.)

April 29, 2020. It looks like it's that time again. Amtrak is rolling out an updated version of their website and that is knocking Amtrak Status Maps, et al, offline. It'll take a day or two to get it going again (probably).

jb
May 3, 2020.
It looks like Amtrak has finally rolled out the changes after experimenting with them for a week or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed since they haven't broken ASM (yet). However, I did notice that if you ask for the times of the trains from their status tab on Amtrak.com, they give the wrong times. Julie, ASM and transitdocs are all giving the right times.

jb

Back