Status of the #11

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jamie-

Service Attendant
So far this isn't looking good. First of all, no PPC again (guess I'll never get to see one). The have a CCC (at least I'm pretty sure thats what it is) that the're claiming is the PPC. I made a comment to our car attendant that it was going to bug me all trip if they keep calling it that and he said that these are the "new" parlour cars. That the originals just can't be repaired anymore. In other bad news, the A/C went out in the diner, the second engine crapped out and the first one is overheating. They're not sure yet how to get us over the mountains. This trip just keeps getting worse.

So far this isn't looking good. First of all, no PPC again (guess I'll never get to see one). The have a CCC (at least I'm pretty sure thats what it is) that the're claiming is the PPC. I made a comment to our car attendant that it was going to bug me all trip if they keep calling it that and he said that these are the "new" parlour cars. That the originals just can't be repaired anymore. In other bad news, the A/C went out in the diner, the second engine crapped out and the first one is overheating. They're not sure yet how to get us over the mountains. This trip just keeps getting worse.
:eek:

Wouldn't ya know it!

Well, tell the powers to be out there that if that PPC ain't runnin in 2 weeks, us Floridians will be riding it on the restarted Sunset Limited to every station tn the Sunshine State!!!! :p

We've been stopped here just south of Salem. They were thinking of swaping engines with the #14 (which has a PPC, bastards), but now they're going to try it down near Eugene instead (with what I don't know). Seems like were going mighty slow now. Hopefully it won't be that way all the way there.

On another note, anyone know what IC stands for? They keep making announcements for people to report there.

IC=Intercom. Sorry your trip is turning into a bust. No AC in diner....BOO HISS!
Thanks.

A little update, we're now up to 3 Amtrak engines and 1 UP. And we're still having problems. We lost power in our sleeper (not sure about the rest of the train) about 15 min ago. It just came back on. I don't think we've even made it to the Eugene station yet.

Sorry your trip is turning into a bust.
Maybe just me, but I wouldn't consider the trip a bust at all. I'd be all over that train, trying to glean information, asking folks' opinions, taking pictures, and generally having a good ol' time. For some it might be a drag, but I'd be having fun. Jamie, keep those reports coming whenever you get the chance.

Now we're having a problem with the line. We've been going under 20 mph all morning. Mom said that they made an announcment saying something about missing copper wire they think someone stole. According to the gps we're nowhere near Sacramento yet either.

Now we're having a problem with the line. We've been going under 20 mph all morning. Mom said that they made an announcment saying something about missing copper wire they think someone stole. According to the gps we're nowhere near Sacramento yet either.
Oh no! Those druggies! The copper wires are used for signals along the track, just like traffic signals. If the signals are down, the train has to stop at every signal and get a permission from dispatcher. Once it's clear, it proceeds at a restricted speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Left Davis a little bit ago, around 5 hrs late. Not expected to make up more than an hour for the stops later today. At least we're going 40-60 mph now.

We're just about to leave Oakland. They held us here to do some kind of inspection. Usually they do it after we arive in LA but since we won't be arriving until after midnight they wouldn't be able to do it there.

Just wanted to post last one last update. We got into SIM last night around 2:15am.

Just wanted to post last one last update. We got into SIM last night around 2:15am.
I'm taking the Coast Starlight from Salinas to LAUS, and the Surfliner to Santa Ana, on Friday 8/29. I made the same journey in early June and we were on-time leaving Salinas, on-time arriving at LAUS, and on-time on the trip back home. I've been following the on-time record of the 11 in particular over the last week and the results are much worse, with yesterday's trip that Jaime was on being the worst by far.

What's happened to the Starlight? Its on-time record had been much, much improved over the last year but in just two months it has deteriorated dramatically. Is the equipment under that much stress? Has UP decided they no longer care?

Guess I got lucky. I was on the Coast Starlight before you (8/14 arrival into LA) and it was 52 minutes late, which is great for me because I didn't have to wait long for the 10:10 Surfliner connection.

Thanks for posting this. I was on the 14 on Thursday going from LA to SJC. South of Salinas we were put onto a siding for a while. After a period I saw a UP engine approach and of course I thought, "Damn U.P., messing with us again." As it passed I saw it was pulling the 11. Odd. I made a note to post on the board (when I could get a computer) to see if anyone knew anything, and sure enough, here are all the gory details.

What an adventure you had (for better or worse). I'm returning on the 11 tomorrow and would just as soon avoid drama.

Thanks for your trail of posts. That's part of what makes this board so great.

So, it was the copper theft problem???
It was a mixture of things. The missing copper set us back at least an hour (we were already a couple hours late due to the engine issue the day before), but after that there's the fact that the UP engine doesn't go as fast as the Amtrak engines so we couldn't make up any time. Then it seemed like every "5 min" stop turned into a 20 min stop. Everything just added up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back