STB Orders Guilford To Raise Downeaster Speeds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Amtrak has completed the line rehabilitation, according to the terms set out in Weight of Rail I [decision issued October 22, 1999]. Therefore, it has complied with our conditions, and our analysis of this matter is complete. Accordingly, subject to FRA’s safety jurisdiction, Guilford  must permit Amtrak to operate over the line at issue at FRA Class 4 speeds.
With thanks to Prodigy's On Track On Line for the above quote. You can read the full text of the decision on their website here.

I too have to echo the sentiments expressed on OTOL. What will Guilford try next to prevent 79 MPH running? :unsure:

AlanB said:
What will Guilford try next to prevent 79 MPH running? :unsure:
I might even venture to say that the Guilford "Finks" might resort to self-sabotage, although in these times with security at a maximum, it would be a stupid thing to do.

I hope the speeds can be raised with the timetable changes of late April.

The Surface Transportation Board has reiterated its earlier decision that Guilford Rail System must permit Amtrak’s Downeaster to travel up to 79 mph between Portland, Maine, and Boston.
Here's another story on the denial of Guilford's appeal from Trains.com.

Maybe they'll "forget" to pay the electric bill and suffer massive signal outages fouling up their system.

Well here's a big surprise. ;)

But the next day, Guilford asked the federal court of appeals for the District of Columbia circuit to set aside the orders "on the ground that they are arbitrary, capricious, not in accordance with law and in excess of the statutory jurisdiction of the STB." Guilford has refused to implement the order so far.
The above comes from this weeks NARP Hotline. You can read the full text here.

I expected something like this of course. :angry: Now we just have to hope that the appeals court kicks Guilford in the butt and quickly.

And if they don't like the DC Circuit's opinion then they'll appeal it to the Supreme Court. Only people who win here are the lawyers :)

tp49 said:
And if they don't like the DC Circuit's opinion then they'll appeal it to the Supreme Court. Only people who win here are the lawyers :)
And even after they loose at the Supreme level, Guilford will still find ways to drag their feet and prevent Amtrak from running at 79 MPH. :angry:

Personally, I think that it's time for Eminent Domain. Let's just put Guilford out of our misery.

AlanB said:
tp49 said:
And if they don't like the DC Circuit's opinion then they'll appeal it to the Supreme Court.  Only people who win here are the lawyers :)
And even after they loose at the Supreme level, Guilford will still find ways to drag their feet and prevent Amtrak from running at 79 MPH. :angry:

Personally, I think that it's time for Eminent Domain. Let's just put Guilford out of our misery.
Eminent domain is not without precedent, and it involved Guilford (or its predecessor Boston & Maine). When the Montrealer was running, it had to cease operations for a while because of poor track conditions on the B & M north of Springfield. Amtrak had to cease the track and then eventually Central Vermont became the owner, and they later became New England Central. Of course now the Vermonter is in place of the Montrealer, and the track north of Springfield is again out of service, which explains the long reroute over CSX to Palmer to get onto the New England Central mainline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back